What is the best meal you've had at a restaurant?

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
ClintBarton

What is the best meal you've had at a restaurant?

Post by ClintBarton »

Hi,

I enjoy a good meal and will seek out restaurants which have been recommended by others. I'm a big fan of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. In fact, I've been to most of the restaurants Guy Fieri has recommended in my city. I will often go to his website to check out his restaurant recommendations when I'm traveling. Some of the food he has recommended has been really good while some has been alright. My question is what's the best meal you've had at a restaurant? What was the meal, the restaurant, and where is it located (city, state)? As I've stated above I'm always looking for a good restaurant while traveling.Though this restaurant is in a few places across the U.S., Del Frisco's Steakhouse is a favorite of mine. When I want to splurge, I get the 12oz Filet with Jalapeno Bacon Macaroni and Cheese. I'm traveling toward Indiana in a few weeks and have St. Elmo's Steakhouse as my next restaurant destination.

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152660
Animated Video For Business

Thanks!
brothers

Re: What is the best meal you've had at a restaurant?

Post by brothers »

Clint, this is right up my alley. My best meals in my life have been and still are served at my two favorite local establishments here in OKC.

1. Coney Island. Downtown on Main Street between Hudson and Walker on the north side of the street. Same gentleman has owned it since he bought it from the original owner in 1974. Best hot dogs I've ever had. Very limited menu, but my personal favorite is his Greek Spaghetti. A big plate of spaghetti covered in chili, grated cheese, and chopped onions. I add Louisiana Hot Sauce and red pepper. My drink is always a large Coke. I've taken everyone I'm related to and everyone I know down there. Wonderful experience. A couple of blocks from all of the courthouses, government offices, and big city office buildings. Homeless and street people who go inside are placed at the front of the line and are asked to take a seat, whereupon in just a few moments, they are provided with a great free meal and a comfortable place to enjoy it. His walls are adorned with Oklahoma University football win/lose stats starting somewhere in the 1950s. Cheap and good. Cash only, and the owner still greets and serves every customer. A great guy to converse with, already knows what most regulars are going to order. Warning - clowns, jokers, cell phones and fools better move on, because he'll bring all H*** down on anyone who thinks they can cause him, his workers, or his customers any trouble!

2. Tacoville. Been in business at least 50 years. The original owner who created the current menu of staples has passed away, but because of the food and the staff, and loyal customers love it. All of his Mexican menu items are unique and delicious. Nothing fancy here! If anyone's looking for anything other than great food should just go elsewhere. This one happens to be in one of those locations that most folks wouldn't venture into after dark. Hard working folks who know about Tacoville will always keep this one in business. Again, I've invited everyone I know and am related to, but if you must know, some of them are just cowards or think they're just too good to go inside Tacoville. But you know what! I don't care! My wife and kids and grandkids know there's nothing to be afraid of, and the staff are very hard workers and kind to everyone. Definitely cheap and good! Cash only, but they even have an ATM.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Most recently, for our youngest child turning 30, the three of us drove 280 miles west on I-40 to Amarillo. That's where the Big Texan is located. They brew around 12 of their own beers. Our daughter and I ordered a flight of our choice of any 4 of the house beers and for $6 we each received four glasses containing 4 very cold ounces of each one. After we finished our flights, we each ordered a full beer of our favorite. The wife ordered her usual, a double Jack Daniels. The appetizer was some freshly cut, breaded sliced and deep fried jalapenos. Then they brought out our steaks. One rare, one medium rare and one medium well. All three were around 28 to 30 ounces. The chef got them done to our exact specifications, and they were worth the trip! Following our delightful meal, we drove another few miles further west to the Cadillac Ranch where someone has partially buried - nose down - what used to be 10 Cadillacs from the 1950s. It sits in a giant actively cultivated grain field on the south side of I-40. Free admission of course, and for about 50 years since it was created, people bring spray paint and add their graffiti to what remains of the Cadillacs. She had a great birthday and so did we. Mom drove home of course.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Not exactly a restaurant, as such, but one of my most memorable (1985?) meals away from home was a large bag of freshly-made fries from a "chip wagon" in downtown Edmonton one chilly & rainy Fall day, while waiting for the next bus to show up.
Just coarse-ground salt and a sprinkle of white vinegar on it.

It really hit the spot.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary, tacoville sounds fantastic...definitely a place i could get addicted to. I must have 'there's something better out there' syndrome because I can't remember a place Ive eaten at that I absolutely cannot wait to go back for round two :D I have certainly eaten at some very fine restaurants (hole in the walls and otherwise) but if they disappeared off the face of the earth today I wouldnt be shedding any tears. The scale is proof positive that I havent given up trying to find the 'one' 8-[ :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I can’t say it’s the best meal ever, but the one dish I miss the most is a Ben’s Montreal smoke meat sandwich slathered in mustard and garnished with a large kosher dill. Unfortunately, Ben’s closed several years ago having been a Montreal institution for many, many years. For my wife and I our favourite eating out meals are sushi and Indian curry. Fortunately in the town we live in there’s an outstanding Japanese restaurant and Indian restaurant.
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:42 pm Most recently, for our youngest child turning 30, the three of us drove 280 miles west on I-40 to Amarillo. That's where the Big Texan is located. They brew around 12 of their own beers. Our daughter and I ordered a flight of our choice of any 4 of the house beers and for $6 we each received four glasses containing 4 very cold ounces of each one. After we finished our flights, we each ordered a full beer of our favorite. The wife ordered her usual, a double Jack Daniels. The appetizer was some freshly cut, breaded sliced and deep fried jalapenos. Then they brought out our steaks. One rare, one medium rare and one medium well. All three were around 28 to 30 ounces. The chef got them done to our exact specifications, and they were worth the trip! Following our delightful meal, we drove another few miles further west to the Cadillac Ranch where someone has partially buried - nose down - what used to be 10 Cadillacs from the 1950s. It sits in a giant actively cultivated grain field on the south side of I-40. Free admission of course, and for about 50 years since it was created, people bring spray paint and add their graffiti to what remains of the Cadillacs. She had a great birthday and so did we. Mom drove home of course.
I used to visit Amarillo frequently on business and always made a point of eating at the Big Texan. They offer up probably the best grilled steak I’ve ever had. I don’t know if they still offer this, but if you eat, without leaving the table, their three course meal built around a huge (and I mean huge) steak within an hour the meal is free. Never tried it myself, but I have watched several lads and lassies giving it a try; a few succeeded, including several wee lassies, but most failed. If you like to watch people eating this is the show for you.
Bryan
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Ooh - Now I remember.
Back when I was of the working class I was sent on a week-long safety training course (Fall Prevention) in Montreal.
Just across from my hotel there was this Italian restaurant, "Da Giovanni's", on St Catherine Street E.
I ended up eating there four nights in a row, having pizza, veal parmesan, and various forms of pasta.
And tiramisu, of course. =P~
I learned that they also sold their pasta sauce by the liter. I would have bought some to take home, but they could only put it in a large drink container with a flimsy lid. Hardly suitable for checked baggage. :cry:

One of the murals:

It wasn't until the second night I realized that I had eaten there once before, maybe 20 years earlier.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I've had many a good meal at very nice restaurants, even upscale ones. But the only meal I remember fondly is one at a plain old Carabba's with family and friends. It wasn't the meal, per se, but the company that made it special. I don't even remember what I ate that night but I had a great time with my best friend and his family.

Chris
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Don't laugh too hard when you read this -- best doggone meal ever was a Ploughman's at a somewhat obscure pub called The Black Dog outside of Blackburn, Lancashire. Yup it was seriously. My food pleasures are pretty simple and I don't go in for anything terribly fancy. It's all about flavour for me.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:09 pm Don't laugh too hard when you read this -- best doggone meal ever was a Ploughman's at a somewhat obscure pub called The Black Dog outside of Blackburn, Lancashire. Yup it was seriously. My food pleasures are pretty simple and I don't go in for anything terribly fancy. It's all about flavour for me.
Wendell, I agree with you: not much beats a genuine Ploughman’s at an English pub, especially if it’s washed down with a pint of Best Bitter (my apologies, as I know you are strictly teatotal). In general, I find food in English pubs to be pretty darn good, contrary to popular opinion, and well priced. We visit family in England every year and our first dinner, and our last, is at the local pub in the village where most of the family live.
Bryan
Gene

Post by Gene »

I have a friend out in California - a Brit by birth - who tells me that every time he goes to England the very first thing he does on landing is head to a local place for a "proper English breakfast". Beans and a better bacon are involved, but I don't remember more than that.

For me - that's a toss-up:

1) New Orleans - the Bon Ton Cafe. Their jambalaya and etouffee are great - and the bread pudding, awash in a whiskey/butter sauce, is to die for.

2) Las Vegas: Smith and Wolenski steak house. They do a bone-in rib eye steak that is amazing. They are a chain, been to their Chicago location, too - just as good.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Gene, a full English breakfast comprises eggs, bacon, sausage, black pudding, grilled/fried tomatoes, grilled/fried mushrooms and baked beans. It’s colloquially called a “fry up”, and for good reason. Another English breakfast delicacy is toast fried in bacon grease. It’s all artery clogging, but darn delicious: comfort food.
Bryan
Gene

Post by Gene »

Not sure about the pudding, but the rest sounds delicious.

The Brits - funny food over there:

Black pudding
Spotted dick
Dover sole (Yes, I know it's a fish - but every novel I think I have ever read about England includes at least one reference to them.)

???
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have fond memories from early childhood when we visited my grandparents on the farm out in the country. Grandma fried her toast and it was amazing.
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Gene wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:40 am Not sure about the pudding, but the rest sounds delicious.

The Brits - funny food over there:

Black pudding
Spotted dick
Dover sole (Yes, I know it's a fish - but every novel I think I have ever read about England includes at least one reference to them.)

???
There’s a whole raft of other “weird” dishes in England:
Lancashire hot pot
Bubble and squeak
Toad in the hole
Faggots and peas
Bangers and mash
Scotch eggs
To name a few.

The Scots and Welsh have their fair share of “weird” dishes too.

Despite the weird names and ingredients I find most are quite delicious.
Bryan
Gene

Post by Gene »

I have had an American version of bangers and mash - that's pretty goo.

Heard about bubbles and squeak - don't know that that is, though.

I am sure most are good.
Gene

Mark Twain

Alan Moore
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Gene wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:02 am I have had an American version of bangers and mash - that's pretty goo.

Heard about bubbles and squeak - don't know that that is, though.

I am sure most are good.
Traditional bubble and squeak is made from left over cabbage, mashed potatoes and Brussel sprouts mixed together and fried in butter/goose fat/ duck fat. Very tasty and sometimes i’d put a soft poached egg on top.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

It might be more than you're looking for, but you asked for best meal... Now good food meals are plenty. But the best means the best and there can only be one.

The best I ever had was a buffet at The Manor in (west?) Orange NJ. The buffet was huge and had all high end dishes on it. That's the best I can describe them. The roast beef had a carver stationed there and he would cut EXACTLY the piece you wanted. There was so much and so many varied dishes that it was simply impossible to go away hungry. One was almost tempted to find a bathroom to do the Roman thing to continue eating for the tastebuds alone. That meal happened maybe 55 years ago and I remember it to this day. FWIW, if you wanted a cheeseburger and fries you might have been disappointed.

Supposedly they also had/have really nice gardens, but I never saw them.

Due to the time factor involved between then and now, I just had to see if it was still open and found this... What a shame.
https://themanorrestaurant.com/the-manor-room/
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Methinks me started something of a mini-thread-within-a-thread.

There is a little butcher shop just off the high street in Skipton which has emblazoned across their window "Best Pork Pies in Yorkshire" & "Best Pork Pie in England". I can attest that they certainly keep up with the reputation. They are beyond good.

I recall my first pork pie from a real butcher in Thirsk. Presuming it needed to be reheated before eating I boldly asked - "So how do I eat this?" The counter clerk grinned, and smiled knowingly at a local patron who said in his best Yorkshire accent - "Ah lad - one in each 'and" and we all had quite the laugh. Nothing like good British butcher's meat.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?