Here, fishy, fishy....

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Here, fishy, fishy....

Post by drmoss_ca »

IMG_0346.jpg
IMG_0346.jpg (131.82 KiB) Viewed 5892 times
A smoked salmon, onion and potato pie. Sadly, my attempt at a fish is more like a whale!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Re: Here, fishy, fishy....

Post by Rufus »

I would really like to learn how to cook fish properly, be it in a pie or frying pan. I can make some rather good salmon cakes and fish/seafood stew, but other than that I struggle.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Bryan, as far as grilling/frying/baking/broiling, assuming everything is hot and ready to go, 7 minutes per inch of thickness no matter the fish, but one eyes and signs prevail. If it flakes it's done. Go beyond that and it's getting overdone. With salmon if the fat denatures (you'll see it weep) that's sign that it's done; skin side down.

Fish is cooked far quicker than what we were told.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on what bryan said

thanks for the lesson, brian

fedex leftovers, chris :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's that kind of simple yet excellent tips that one really appreciates! Thanks.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

ShadowsDad wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:34 pm Bryan, as far as grilling/frying/baking/broiling, assuming everything is hot and ready to go, 7 minutes per inch of thickness no matter the fish, but one eyes and signs prevail. If it flakes it's done. Go beyond that and it's getting overdone. With salmon if the fat denatures (you'll see it weep) that's sign that it's done; skin side down.

Fish is cooked far quicker than what we were told.
Brian, thanks for the hint.
Bryan