Croissants

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Croissants

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm not sure I'd recommend this more than once - I started last night at 8pm, and got up at 4am to finish the job. Very shortly these will be gone, with the help of a pot of home made marmalade!

I followed the instructions in this video:

"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Croissants

Post by fallingwickets »

feel free to fedex any leftovers....they look beyond scrumptious

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Our local Italian bakery makes such good croissants that it seems pointless even to attempt to make them at home. I like mine with strawberry jam and a double shot of espresso; good grief, I’m making myself hungry. :D
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have never lived in France or Quebec. The freshest croissants I have ever had are probably those made by the kitchens at The Royal York, and they may have been an hour or two old; cold, dry and chewy. Yet I kept hearing about people who felt it worth the effort to arrive at the door of the patisserie at 7am to buy fresh warm croissants. I can see why they bother now: the mouth feel is quite different from the already pleasant same-day croissant. Soft and steamy with butter practically running down your chin, yet a wafer thin layer of crunchy-crisp on the outside. A perfect vehicle for Seville orange marmalade, and helped along with home-roasted coffee beans.

The tragedy is that now I know how good they can be! But getting up at 4am to make something that will kill you if you eat it every day (there is a whole half pound of butter in that photo!) isn't sustainable. Maybe once or twice a year, the way I save making chocolate soufflés for Valentine's Day.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Between the image and the description, you have my mouth watering! Those look really good.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

An fyi for those tempted by Chris!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/19/dini ... sucre.html

:D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Mmm, good stuff.

Great video and it follows the basics. I've made them myself using Julia Child's method (very similar) and they are wonderful, though much smaller in size.

For me they are also a once or twice a year treat due to the labor and time constraints involved. Sometimes I just make mock croissants from puff pastry (no yeast and therefore less flavor) if I have it to use up.

As an aside roll chocolate chips in them and you have wonderful chocolate croissants.

You could not go wrong following this video, IMHO.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I was very surprised with how much the second rise blew them up - if there's a next time they go on two oven trays. Good tip re chocolate chips - not my thing but Pippa would go weak at the knees over them. Marmalade is the only way for me though.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Great link. There is a restaurant here that serves them fresh and hot all day long. As you pointed out, we only allow ourselves to enjoy them once or twice a year it seems.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444