Phoenix & Beau tallow shaving soap - made in UK

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Phoenix & Beau tallow shaving soap - made in UK

Post by brothers »

I'm in the middle of using up a full container of this fine product of an artisan soapmaker in the UK. I got mine from Connaught, and Maggards also carries it. The Star Noir is discontinued, but Maggards may have some still in stock. Being a firm textured soap with tallow and well-formulated fragrances, it's a pleasure to use with the synthetic brush on a daily basis. I'm currently about 14 shaves in, and it's looking like it'll probably last between 40 and 60 15 second brush loadings before it runs out, which isn't bad at all. The lather is quick to build and it lasts.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Re: Phoenix & Beau tallow shaving soap - made in UK

Post by BPman »

I have had samples of five or so of their soaps and IMO Spitfire, their flagship, is the best smelling.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm up to shave #55 on this tub so far. There are probably 10 or 12 more to go. I have a backup tub of Star Noir. I have thought of checking out Spitfire and Denali.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

I have the Citra Royale, which is Lime-cedarwood, and really enjoy this scent. The lather is very nice!!!!
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

I changed my mind on the Spitfire and Denali. Spitfire because I don't care for leather fragrance (doesn't really smell like the leather I'm used to smelling). And Denali because the description makes it sound like a strong Vicks Vaporub with camphor and eucalyptus. I don't mind Vicks, but not as a shaving soap!
Gary

J T

Post by J T »

Gary the Denali evokes the original Noxzema Lather Shave Cream ingredients less the menthol crystals. Camphor is a Pine derevitive that provides a cooling effect and is a treatment for oily skin. These sme ingredients were in Noxzema Skin Cream as made by Noxell.
~ Jack
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

For those who don't know, camphor is what makes mothballs smell. OTOH, what percentage of the population knows what mothballs smell like these days? Synthetic fabrics have much to answer for.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
J T

Post by J T »

Love the smell of mothballs :D. OTOH I dislike the smell of Cedar and having to sand the hanger rings and blocks yearly.
There are no man made fabrics that can compare t the drape, hand and comfort of wool.
~ Jack
brothers

Post by brothers »

This tub is now at 65 shaves and it might make it all the way to 70. Much more than that range, and I begin to get very bored, no matter what soap or cream it happens to be. It is at this stage that some soaps start to become an endurance marathon for me, rather than a joy.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The clock's just about to run down. Looks like tomorrow's shave might be the last!
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The deed is done. The soap lasted an even 70 great shaving lathers.
Gary