Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  
 

I need a new soap.

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!

I need a new soap.

Postby Modern Ancient » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:46 am

I had been using Edwin Jagger, but, over the past few days, I have noticed, the quality of the lather is lacking. It took way too long to get a horrible lather. It is too easy to get over wet, and, too easy to leave dry.

Can anyone recommend me a new soap? It must be bright white, in colour, and, vegan.

Thanks, in advance.
Modern Ancient
 

Re: I need a new soap.

Postby Modern Ancient » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:49 am

Also, I am looking for a hard soap.
Modern Ancient
 

Re: I need a new soap.

Postby nav » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:13 am

The bath house Cuban Cedar and Lime... It's a divine scent with great performance!!

It doesn't get any talk time but i bought it on a whim and knew i was taking a risk as it may be a dud but it turned out awesome in every way!

Upfront you get a tangy lime grapefruit which is backed up with slightly musky woody notes.

It's a wonderful combination and the soap performs very, very well!!
nav
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:14 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: I need a new soap.

Postby Modern Ancient » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:31 am

nav wrote:The bath house Cuban Cedar and Lime... It's a divine scent with great performance!!

It doesn't get any talk time but i bought it on a whim and knew i was taking a risk as it may be a dud but it turned out awesome in every way!

Upfront you get a tangy lime grapefruit which is backed up with slightly musky woody notes.

It's a wonderful combination and the soap performs very, very well!!

thank you, for the suggestion
Modern Ancient
 

Re: I need a new soap.

Postby Modern Ancient » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:33 am

Update: I tried another lather, this afternoon, to see if the results were similar. The thing is: this soap is the opposite of thirsty. The brush should only be a little damp, and, only the tips of the bristles, when loading. It takes about a full minute, or more, to load. Then, you can build the lather, as normal, but, if you add too much water, you need to start over.

This is true, for hard, and, soft water.
Modern Ancient
 

Re: I need a new soap.

Postby J T » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:48 am

Golddachs, comes in 3 flavors and its Vegan.
~ Jack
J T
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: Queens NYC

Re: I need a new soap.

Postby fallingwickets » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:29 am

Golddachs


never heard of that before now, but rumour on the www is that its quite decent. thanks for mentioning

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
User avatar
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb
 
Posts: 7934
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:59 am

Re: I need a new soap.

Postby drmoss_ca » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:58 am

Modern Ancient wrote:Can anyone recommend me a new soap? It must be bright white, in colour, and, vegan.


Probably wrongly, I am now imagining you under the thumb of your better half, who insists that only white soaps exist in her bathroom, and god knows how she'll make you suffer if you dare use something non-vegan! Probably quite inaccurate, and your preference for palm oil soaps is based on a sincere and dedicated desire to reduce jungle habitat by clear cutting for palm plantations until the last of those evil orang utans is eradicated from the face of the earth.

Bright white and vegan?

Image

To be serious, the common factor in nearly every best loved shaving soap is tallow. Tallow is principally stearic acid, and stearic acid can be sourced from non-animal sources. So you'd want to look for soaps containing sodium stearate or potassium stearate, or most likely both. These can be found, but may not be white. You didn't mention whether the boss lets you have scents, so that might impose a further constraint.

C.
#bluesoapsmatter
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
User avatar
drmoss_ca
Admin
 
Posts: 9022
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:39 pm

Re: I need a new soap.

Postby Janus » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:33 am

I prefer tallow soaps but I could get by with Savon du Midi, if I was forced to go vegan. A 75 g puck goes for around 3 to 4 euros this side of the pond. They also make soft soaps, but I haven't tried those. I don't know if it's availabe stateside.
Janus
User avatar
Janus
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:14 am
Location: Finland

Re: I need a new soap.

Postby Modern Ancient » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:45 am

Thank you, for the suggestions, everyone.
Modern Ancient
 

Re: I need a new soap.

Postby brothers » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:39 pm

Janus wrote:I prefer tallow soaps but I could get by with Savon du Midi, if I was forced to go vegan. A 75 g puck goes for around 3 to 4 euros this side of the pond. They also make soft soaps, but I haven't tried those. I don't know if it's availabe stateside.


It appears that they ship worldwide. The price in US $ is a little over $10, plus shipping. Still not a bad price. I didn't read the reviews because they are in Italian, but they are mostly 5 out of 5, none less than 3.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 17286
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Re: I need a new soap.

Postby Modern Ancient » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:02 pm

brothers wrote:
Janus wrote:I prefer tallow soaps but I could get by with Savon du Midi, if I was forced to go vegan. A 75 g puck goes for around 3 to 4 euros this side of the pond. They also make soft soaps, but I haven't tried those. I don't know if it's availabe stateside.


It appears that they ship worldwide. The price in US $ is a little over $10, plus shipping. Still not a bad price. I didn't read the reviews because they are in Italian, but they are mostly 5 out of 5, none less than 3.



This seems worth checking out!

I have been using Pré de Provence. I like it.
Modern Ancient
 


Return to Shaving Creams & Hard Soaps

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests