Truefitt & Hill Creams

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
EL Alamein

Truefitt & Hill Creams

Post by EL Alamein »

In the past many of us have observed these excellent creams cut a bit closer than their cousins, Trumper, Taylors, and the like.

Revisiting these lately I realized, that for myself, they make an excellent one-pass shaving cream. It may be the age of my creams but these seem to cut closer than even some palm-based soaps I have.

Anyone else notice this?

Chris
slackskin

Re: Truefitt & Hill Creams

Post by slackskin »

I wish they had a truly unscented product. T&H Ultimate Comfort touts itself as unscented, but it's not so. The ingredients even specify lavender.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Chris, your post reminded me of how good these T and H creams are. 1805 smells so good! Maybe one of these days when my current soaps and creams begin to run out I'll reach for a big tub of 1805.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Wonderful creams, and I do think they cut closer than Trumper or Harris. TOBS I have found to give a similarly slick, slightly less dense lather that allows for a close cut.

It's a shame that the T&H Rose cream has been discontinued. It was the best rose-scented cream going IMO, and besides that it was a link to an earlier era of wetshaving. Another piece of history gone by the wayside.

The lavender cream remains one of my all-time favorites, and one of the shave preps I could easily do with as my one and only forever.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

On of my favourite creams was the T&H Sandalwood. It's also been discontinued as far as I know.
I still have a tub of the rose and I try to use it sparingly.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Janus

Post by Janus »

T&H Sandalwood is still around, although heavily reformulated scentwise a few years ago. Lavender OTOH is gone.
Janus
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Yeah, Bruno, Janus is right. The T&H Sandalwood cream that's available now is reformulated and smells nothing like what the old cream smelled like. I had a pristine old formula T&H Sandalwood tub of cream that I could never bring myself to use because it had been reformulated.

About two years ago I sold it off to someone who is, hopefully, enjoying it (or enjoyed it). I regret selling it.

What I recall was it was a very unique scent with a little ginger in there. It smelled fantastic.

Chris
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

T&H rose cream is till listed on their website and still ]available from some vendors but not in a tub but only tubes. Though the lavender cream is sadly discontinued.
Olle
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Regarding their rose scent... I do love TOBS rose but are the TOBS and T&H different enough, scent wise, to warrant a purchase (of T&H)=
Olle
brothers

Post by brothers »

They're different scents. I can't tell you whether getting the other one would be worth it. However, if you can find a NOS tub of Art of Shaving Rose, it is a beautiful thing. It's been discontinued for a number of years, but ebay seems to have several from time to time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

I've been lucky to acquire some of the last tubs of Truefitts lavender shaving creams! Now this is what I recall as a classic "English lavender" scent. Fantastic. :)
I got them at a discount too – as the lids were somewhat defected and therefore they had dried out a bit but I didn't have a any problem to whip up a lather with the one I tested anyway.
Attachments
krämer.jpg
krämer.jpg (47.41 KiB) Viewed 5622 times
Last edited by adhoc on Wed May 23, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Olle
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Adhoc, that is a fantastic acquisition! I am happy for you.

T&H Lavender cream is fantastic. And the scent, to me, is the best of any lavender cream. It's so good that if T&H made a lavender water out of the same scent I'd buy it by the gallon.

I always thought T&H was missing out on a huge opportunity by not offering an identical scent lavender water to their lavender shaving cream.

Now I am convinced they don't give a d@mn about their customers. IMHO their lavender was one of the two best scents offered in a cream. The other being their classic Almond.

I also like their Rose cream but a pox upon them.

Chris
adhoc

Re: Truefitt & Hill CreamsI think

Post by adhoc »

Thank you mate!
Yes Its a real shame that they don't offer some lavender water with this awesome scent but I guess that they feel like they have to modernize and appeal to more modern, maybe younger, costumers. Ive been reading some of Gordons post on here were he complained that Truefitt had reformulated and trashed their older colognes. I would love to sometime be able to smell the original, pre-reformulation, Freshman, Clubman and Spanish Leather colognes but I don't see as much vintage bottles of Truefitt as I see vintage bottles of Floris or Penhaligons on Ebay for example. Well well--- But anyway, do the Atkinsons English Lavender smell similar to Truefitts lavender shaving cream?

I'm gonna purchase a tub of their rose cream as well, I like TOBS rose shaving cream but I have a feeling that I would like Truefitts cream a bit more. :wink:
Olle
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Adhoc, there are some similarities, to my nose, between the Atkinson's and the T&H Lavender cream but they are not the same scent IMHO.

The Atkinson's is fresh and bright while the T&H is something else - more earthen-like maybe - but yet clean. I suspect T&H has rosemary in it somewhere along with something else I can't put my finger on. IMHO expecting the Atkinson's to match the T&H will be a letdown.

Atkinson's should be worn in it's own right as should other lavender waters. They are similar yet unique in their subtleties. They can be used after most anything employed for shaving (provide proper rinsing).

I hope you like the T&H Rose cream, it's very nice. It was once my favorite but I think Trumper's Rose has nosed it out for me. Trumper's was my first Rose and there's a bit of nostalgia bound up in it.

Chris
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

What are prices now for TOBS, Trumper and Truefitt Rose in tubs
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Sam, good question. It's been nigh a decade since I bought any creams. But I remember a time when T&H in America was not as expensive as the others yet in other parts of the world it was more expensive. I think that may have changed.

Chris
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

$30 is the going rate for Truefitt tubs. Taylor are $15-17. Trumper...don't know. I haven't checked in some time.

I am disappointed in the discontinuation of the rose and lavender (and sandalwood before that) from T&H, but I'm not surprised. The classic scents don't do well when artisans try to sell them, and I think that the traditionalists who love those fragrances have lifetime supplies for the most part.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Any preference is rose? Salter?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Creams are my preference. Little more cushhoning and always louder if you will on scent
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

I agree, although creams tend to be more expensive as you use more product. But I don't think T&H have discontinued their Rose-cream, only the tub version. You can still get it in tubes.
Olle