The state of the current English Shaving soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Gareth
Taylorman

Re: The state of the current English Shaving soaps

Post by Gareth » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:55 am

Rufus wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:59 pm
Gary, I agree with you regarding the staff at GFT. Whenever I visit the Curzon Street shop i find the staff standoffish and not terribly helpful. On the other hand, the staff at the TOBS Jermyn Street store couldn’t be more engaged and helpful.
Trumper's has always a bit this way, particularly in the Curzon Street shop. I think, to be fair, it's easy to write it off as rudeness when in fact it is more of a traditional, old-fashioned approach to retailing - a totally unique British style. I can understand why foreign visitors may find it odd.

The other shop (off Jermyn Street) I find to be less formal, but equally less authentic.

In response to the comment about keeping the product behind the counter/glass - this is because the display units in the Curzon Street store are original. Again, it is to respect the authenticity and history of the shop.