Which Taylor creams?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
DavidB

Which Taylor creams?

Post by DavidB »

Even though I have enough creams to last several lifetimes, I got a sample of Taylor Lemon & Lime and love it... so want to get some Taylor creams. I figured I'd poll the group on their favorites. I've had Almond, Lavender, Rose, Eton College, St. James, and Avocado (old formula), so would like to check out some new scents.

Lemon & Lime in on my short list. I've heard good things about the new Avocado, so that's in the running. Mr. Taylor appears to be popular, but I'm not sure what it smells like.

I suppose one answer is: buy one each that you've not tried. But that'd be more than I want to spend and would really increase my already ridiculous inventory.

And then there's the whole tub-vs.-tube issue. Tubs are much more affordable, but would add years to my inventory.

Thoughts?

Dave

p.s. I suppose one strategy would be to buy a couple of tubs/tubes and then trade large samples with some other over-supplied Taylor fan.
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Dave,

Mr. Taylor is a subtle, cologne-style scent, based on lavendar and tarragon, with a touch of citrus -- very nice, but unfortunately not long lasting. You do, however, get the choice of finishing up with Mr. Taylor's A/S splash or balm. This is a "sneak in and sniff the tub" scent!

--Glenn
sousy

Post by sousy »

2clfrwrds wrote:Mr. Taylor is a subtle, cologne-style scent, based on lavendar and tarragon, with a touch of citrus -- very nice, but unfortunately not long lasting. You do, however, get the choice of finishing up with Mr. Taylor's A/S splash or balm. This is a "sneak in and sniff the tub" scent!
Hmm.... I haven't tried Mr. Taylor yet. My first two Taylor cologne scents just don't trip my trigger as of yet.

Shaving Shop = Box of Band-Aids
Eton College = Bar of Ivory Soap

Maybe they'll grow on me, maybe they won't.
Regards,

Chad
scarface911

Post by scarface911 »

I would highly recommend Taylors Avocado (new formula) its one of my favourite creams and is the go to cream when I want a quick shave that I know will end up BBS.

Oh an the smell is wonderful!
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

2clfrwrds wrote:Mr. Taylor is a subtle, cologne-style scent, based on lavendar and tarragon, with a touch of citrus -- very nice, but unfortunately not long lasting. You do, however, get the choice of finishing up with Mr. Taylor's A/S splash or balm.
I like the scent of the cream, but agree it doesn't last long. Do the aftershave and the cologne really smell the same as the shaving cream?
MindSpin

Post by MindSpin »

sousy wrote:Box of Band-Aids
Fantastic. Just think of the endless possibility for horrible shave cream names.
Wet Dog
Kettle of Fish
Sulfur Paradise
Mmmmm...
Personal growth has always been a passion of mine... I'm just too lazy to do anything about it.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

When you say the Mr. Taylor doesn't last long, do you mean that it fades even before you apply it to your face? Or that it fades after the shave?

Kiss My Face Lavender shave cream is a fast fader. It smells great for about 10 seconds, then by the time I've built the lather and am ready to apply it to my beard, it might as well be unscented. Same with KMF Lime.

If this is also the case with Mr. Taylor, mebbe I should go with Lemon & Lime and Avocado.

Dave
sousy

Post by sousy »

MindSpin wrote:
sousy wrote:Box of Band-Aids
Fantastic. Just think of the endless possibility for horrible shave cream names.
Wet Dog
Kettle of Fish
Sulfur Paradise
Mmmmm...
Well... I tried to market "Eau de Hog Confinement" to no avail...
Regards,

Chad
letterk
Vendor

Post by letterk »

I'll second the recomendation for avocado. A fav.
John

WestCoastShaving.com - The Original DE Blade Sampler Packs, Shavemac, Proraso, Merkur, Valobra, Pre de Provence and more!
cigar-&-Shave

Post by cigar-&-Shave »

letterk wrote:I'll second the recomendation for avocado. A fav.
I'll third it! :D
MindSpin

Post by MindSpin »

Lavender. There's one available in the Selling and Trading section....uh... so I heard.
Personal growth has always been a passion of mine... I'm just too lazy to do anything about it.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dave, FWIW, the old Mr. Taylor shave cream was quite strongly scented, IMO. I don't really know about the new version, although I suspect that it's still more intensely scented then many. The scent of a shave cream is not particularly meant to linger beyond the shave anyway, although some do, to a degree. It's a very masculine herbal/woody sort of scent, with a hint of an incense-like note in it.
Regards,
Gordon
ForestryProf

Post by ForestryProf »

As is my typical MO over on SRP, I'll chime in and add a voice of dissent. Mr. Taylor doesn't do a thing for me. It is very subtle. Shaving Shop, however, is a favorite of mine. Strikes me as very traditional, old school. Reminds me of the barber shop I frequented for nearly 20 years in Chicago. Maybe it's only the memory, but I love this scent. My other go to TOBS scent is Eaton College; my wife loves it...enough said.

Just another data point,
Ed
Scorpio

Post by Scorpio »

Talyor's Lavender and Rose are my favorite Taylor's. I really enjoy the shave, scent and lubrication by both of these creams. For me tubes are a necessity since I travel all the time.

Rafael
"A well lathered face is only half of a good shave"
sousy

Post by sousy »

ForestryProf wrote:As is my typical MO over on SRP, I'll chime in and add a voice of dissent. Mr. Taylor doesn't do a thing for me. It is very subtle. Shaving Shop, however, is a favorite of mine. Strikes me as very traditional, old school. Reminds me of the barber shop I frequented for nearly 20 years in Chicago. Maybe it's only the memory, but I love this scent. My other go to TOBS scent is Eaton College; my wife loves it...enough said.

Just another data point,
Ed
"Memory" plays a very important role in how we like/dislike scents.

An odd thing with me: my father used to wear "English Leather" when I was a kid - and I love the scent. However, I don't like it on me - nor do I really like the T&H/Trumper Spanish Leather scents on me.

I really don't know why that is.

OTOH, Taylor's Rose is my 'go to', and I have a tube of Lavendar that I frequently use as well... with a pot of Avacado yet to crack open. (Maybe I'll be abandoning my experiments with Taylor's scented creams for awhile!)
Regards,

Chad
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

With ToOBS, Mr. Taylor and Shaving Shop are required staples in any shaving cream stable. They say "Barber Shop" all day long.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

I'm a little surprised noone has recommended my go to--- Sandalwood. It's pleasant, if not the most traditional Sandalwood I've used. It doesn't carry an all-day sort of scent, but I usually try to avoid that in a shaving cream.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Thanks, guys, for all of the advice. Avocado for sure, but the next choices are going to be tough!

I may go with three tubes vs. two tubs, but consistency is a concern. By the way, in the past, two of the four Taylor tubes I got had a runny consistency, one so much so that it would poudr out of the tube like pea soup. Has Taylor fixed their consistency issue? Anybody had problems with the newer tubes?

Dave
shavetheline

Post by shavetheline »

sousy wrote:
2clfrwrds wrote:Mr. Taylor is a subtle, cologne-style scent, based on lavendar and tarragon, with a touch of citrus -- very nice, but unfortunately not long lasting. You do, however, get the choice of finishing up with Mr. Taylor's A/S splash or balm. This is a "sneak in and sniff the tub" scent!
Hmm.... I haven't tried Mr. Taylor yet. My first two Taylor cologne scents just don't trip my trigger as of yet.

Shaving Shop = Box of Band-Aids
Eton College = Bar of Ivory Soap

Maybe they'll grow on me, maybe they won't.
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks Shaving Shop smells like Band-Aids!
"Because you're mine, I shave the line..."
greendyk

Post by greendyk »

I too think Shaving Shop stinks; I hadn't thought of Band-Aids, but yes, now that you mention it.... I like St. James and Mr. Taylor a lot.

John