Poll: QED soap vs. Shave stick

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!

Which do you think performs better?

QED shave soap
69%
QED shave stick
31%

Total votes: 13

hedonist

Poll: QED soap vs. Shave stick

Post by hedonist »

Which do you think performs better? This is not a questions of scent, color, or other aesthetic qualities, only about pure performance. Please vote and then explain your reasoning like: ease of use, better lubrication, etc...
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

Just as a point of reference, do you need a brush with the shave sticks, or just rub them on your face? I mean if there is no brush involved then what's the fun?
hedonist

Post by hedonist »

You need a brush to lather the soap once you apply it on the face.
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

The formula and efficacy is the same. The difference is in the method of application and package preference. The stick is great for travel and easy to apply (just swipe it over the wet beard area, and lather up with a wet brush). The "tub" is more "traditional" and along the same lines as soap/mug combo's. My preference is the stick. Chris.
honkdonker

Post by honkdonker »

Charles, or anyone who might know for sure, are the sticks and the NEW tubs the exact same formulation?

Thanks in advance.
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

Honk,

Yes, the QED soaps in the tubs & the sticks are the same formulation.

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

QEDman shaving soap

Post by qed-usa »

Honk -

Since you've asked me directly, I will respond, even though I think it is in the best interest of this forum retailers stay out of product discussions.

Yes, as Chris and Paul have indicated, the formulation of the soap in both jar and stick is the same.

I'd also like to say the following, mainly because I feel some comments about the soaps, or aspects connected to them, are a bit misleading, especially when they are compared to British soaps.

- Perhaps the shaving soap ingredient most lauded by British manufacturers is glycerin; they speak of it in terms of its moisturizing and lubricating characteristics. Therefore, it seems illogical that somone would prefer British soaps over QEDman because the latter is a glycerin soap.

- When price comparing American to British, there are other facts to consider besides shipping and duty. Yes, QEDman shaving soap is proudly made in America [and dedicated to American gentlemen]. The base of the soap is high quality natural ingredients. The Sandalwood, just as a example, is probably the only shaving soap named "Sandalwood" that is based on 100% genuine Sandalwood essential oil [rather expensive stuff]. In addition, I believe my 5oz jar is at least 66% larger [and in one case, twice the size] of most British hard soaps.

I provide this information not to suggest you MUST like QEDman soaps over British [or any other] soaps. I have always told you chaps, ALL toiletries are an individual experience. NO ONE can tell you what is best ... only YOU can make that decision.

Should any one have further questions about the soaps, please contact me directly and I will answer them.

It has been my pleasure to service you, and I hope you allow me to do so in the future ...

Charles
Q E D

-
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Thanks for your input Charles. I think the majority of members on this forum support you but as you pointed out each individual has a different experience with any product.

I tried your Lime stick this a.m. (from a recent trade). I really enjoy the scent but I had a minor irratation from the stick. I will try again later this week though.
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Post by qed-usa »

Austin:

Some essential oils - in fact, some natural ingredients - can irritate certain skin types. In fact, I have often told customers all natural does not necessarily mean efficacious. Some of the worse toiletries I have ever used are those claiming to be all natural. One of the big problems with a scented toiletry is putting enough essential oil into it to satisfy chaps who want a robust scent and at the same time not over-doing it to the point of causing irritation to those senitive to the ingredient. I have sensitive skin, yet it is not irritated by the lime essential oil. There is no way to formulate the perfect toiletry ... one that every person likes or every person can use. If you look at some of the gent's skincare ranges that have popped up over the last fews years, many claiming natural ingredients and fragrance-free, the majority irritate my skin. Go figure.

It may interest you to know I am coming out, in stick form, with an Unscented shaving soap. It will probably be called something a bit more exciting than "Unscented" ...

I certainly appreciate the support the majority of chaps on this forum have given me. My previous posting was not a cry for PLEASE LOVE MY SOAPS!!! It was intended mainly to provide a couple of facts which may have some importance to some members when contemplating whether or not to try the soaps. I understand I can say all the positive things I want about my products, but in the end they have to stand on their own. However, I do suggest you try them and judge for yourself how they rate. No one [including me] can judge for you.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D
sean mac

Post by sean mac »

Charles,

Thanks for taking a few moments to participate in this forum. I have always appreciated your honesty and forthright nature regarding all shaving products - not just those that you sell. We all understand that you are in business to make a profit. However, profit does not seem to be your only concern. Instead, you truly do seem to have the goal of satisfying your customers needs. For that, I thank you.

I am a few weeks away from placing an order with you. I would love to purchase one of your shave soaps. Do you anticipate having them available in early - mid June. I think that I am most interested in the lavander.

Also, I am curious, why are your own products (ie: QEDman soap, shave soap, etc) not more priminently displayed on your web page?
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Post by qed-usa »

sean mac -

Quite frankly, I do not think it appropriate for me to overly participate in forum discussions. I will post if someone directs a question to me or whenever I think a post is required.

QEDman shaving soaps are made in small batches, mainly to control the quality but also because my manufacturer is a very small operation. Quite frankly, it is much easier working with a small firm to insure I get exactly what I want.

My soap reinforcements are due either tomorrow or Tuesday, but pending orders are going to consume a good portion. However, the next batch of reinforcements will not be too far behind so I should be able to take care of you when you're ready to order.

I am sorry about not getting the soaps up on my site. In all honesty, I have not had the time. If it's a choice between processing an order, or working on the site, the order takes priority ... always. In any case, I will do my best to get the soaps listed shortly.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

So glad you posted Charles!

I think some of the guys here have come to trust you in so many areas of shaving, that they have forgotten that golden rule of one soap will not work for everyone! I learned that lesson the hard way myself back in January!
Eventhough I am new to these products, I am certainly not new to shaving with brush, soap and blade (including a knife!) :wink:
The boards have gotten a little off track at times, here and moreso the 'others' in that this is supposed to be 'FUN" !
The fun is in trying the various products, determining what works and what doesn't and keeping the good stuff (for youself).

I shake my head a bit reading some threads.... one razor over another, a blade that is more 'agressive' (how is a blade agressive? it depends on the 'set' of the blade in the razor! or, the hand holding the open blade!)
The Slant Bar is a great example.... they designed the proper angle of attack into a razor, that the shaver is supposed to be using with a 'standard' DE... SLANTED (like a snow-plow is angled going down the street) for those that have difficulty with DE shaving.
The debate over 'Silver Tip' goes on-and-on! All because a Badger grows a particularly sturdy hair around its neck in the winter! Silver Tip is a color guys! Thicker sturdy hair, darker at the base and very soft Silvery White ends..... that's it, period. Expensive because it can only be harvested in the winter. It is shed very quickly in the spring..........the softer (lighter hair).... Best, Finest, some Super, is a Spring/Fall hair! Summer growth, you wouldn't want a brush made with summer growth hair.
Then there is the guys that have been wetshaving a grand total of three and a half weeks and now are "experts" ("I am doing everything right, but my neck is still irritated... should I buy a 'Slant Bar' ??" "But I can tell you what you are doing wrong"...LOL.... THAT is funny)

This is why I do not post often anymore... things get off-track easily... LIKE I JUST DID WITH THIS POST..... sorry about that.

Remember this is supposed to be FUN

- Gramps (reaching for the prozac again)
~~ Larry ~~
sean mac

Post by sean mac »

Gramps,

Thanks for taking the time to post. You are right, these boards are supposed to be fun. Unlike yourself, I'm guessing that most of the people here are rather new to shaving with a DE. Whether we are longtime Mach3 users (like myself) or electric shavers, I feel safe in saying that most of us have stumbled upon the DE as a better, more enjoyable way to take care of a daily requirement of life - shaving the hairs off of our face.

I have been using a DE for about a year, so I am not exactly a newbie. I have only been using a brush for about four months. More than anything else, using a brush has made shaving a rather pleasurable experience.

Despite having more than three and a half-weeks experience with a DE, I still feel like I have a lot to learn. Since shaving isn't exactly a topic that I feel comfortable discussing with the guys at work (probably a discussion that would result in my manhood being questioned), these forums provide a place for me to learn from others with a similar interest. Aruing about which creams/razors/brushes are the "best" is fun. I liken it to having a few beers and arguing with the guys about which quarterback was the best.
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Thanks for the reply Sean Mac....

Of course, I was not directing my comments at any one in particular, just a general observation and 'blasting off'.... hope it was taken that way.

I think these boards are great if they are recognised for what they are. I have seen too many discussions deteriorate into 'bad-feelings' and disruption, to get 'personal' with anyone. The boards are great for the sharing of information, experience with products and question/answer type stuff. As long as the answers come from experienced guys.

There are some who feel they have to have a comment for every damn post and thread and some who are experts in every facet of this 'hobby' (obsession).... maybe they are maybe not.
I can think of some I have come to respect their opinions as I have read a lot of their material on various boards and they do know what they're talking about.... Gordon, Chris Fisher, Joel, Vince... to name a few...
there are those that, to tell the truth, just bore me with their verbaciousness and empty rhetoric. Attempts at humor are just that... attempts.

Debating is good, an exchange of ideas and opinions.... but nobody can tell you, "you are wrong because it is not MY experience!" that type of post is not worthy of space. (I am guilty of that myself, once and apologised for it!)

I guess I think some guys take this too seriously....
I wish I could identify scents the way Gordon and Chris Fisher do, by the ingredient list! How they do that I haven't got a clue..........! Experience and time I guess.

My expertise is limited... I know about shaving... DE shaving and str8 razor shaving. I know about sharpening things and I am learning about shave creams and different soaps. BUT.... if all the English creams disappeared and all I had left was Williams soap, my Old Spice aftershave, Gillette adjustable and my Sheffield str8 razor (EM Dickinson "Invicta") I would still be happy... LOL ... some guys I am sure would think Armageddon was upon us!

You know, I just re-read this and maybe I am the one taking this too seriously ..hahahahahaha

Shaving is NOT Rocket Science as someone said... but it does require patience and developing some simple skills.... over time.
It sounds like you have a good handle on it and I hope you continue to improve and enjoy DE shaving. I hope I continue to learn as well.

- Gramps (honing a new razor atthis moment!)
~~ Larry ~~
sean mac

Post by sean mac »

Hey Gramps (Larry),

I appreciate your comments and agree with everything you have said.

Developing an expertise in anything takes time. We all need to remember that. This is why I enjoying hearing from guys like yourself, you have had more wetshaving experience than I have - whatever your weapon of choice.

I hope that you will continue to be involved with these boards, as we all benefit when you share what you have learned. For whatever its worth, I apologize for all of us who at times act like we know it all.

Happy honing!

Sean
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Thanks Joel,

You are right... about the Williams.... I can get a GREAT lather going... just as wet and lubricating as any other I have tried (looking forward to trying Charles' soaps though...)

As far as blades....
I have tried Merkurs... I don't find much of a difference between them and the Israeli blades I have been using.
Feathers I have not tried. But, I can't see going for the Feather blades when I can get baby-butt smooth with what I have. If I had as tough a beard as Sam (and tough skin too!) maybe I would have to keep looking...LOL
From the descriptions I have read, you are onto something with the 'width' of the blades, I think... going from edge to edge. That would explain a lot. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the blade itself was 'thinner' than other blades and the edge was honed at a more 'acute' angle of sharpness. There is one fellow on wetshavers I think, who "dulls" the Feathers by running the edge agaist a piece of wood before using. Now, that seems somewhat counter-intuitive to me.... one buys these blades because they are 'sharper' than others.... then dull them so they can be used? Get some Merkurs or Israeli blades... cheaper and not as dangerous (I assume).

Maybe I will try the Feathers one day, just out of curiousity, but I don't really need a sharper blade.

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

sean mac wrote:. For whatever its worth, I apologize for all of us who at times act like we know it all.
Thanks Sean, but you needn't apologise for anything... nobody else either...
I can be a Know-it-all too sometimes... LOL

I think I hi-jacked enough of this thread though as I haven't tried the QED soaps/sticks yet!! I apologise for that... :oops:

Keep upright and take nourishment...

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

hey gramps, glad to see u posting again. but something karma-like happened today. i got up late and missed church, and had to shave for my daughter's baccalaureate today. well, i had read over on straightrazorsplace.com, (lynn now owns the website and it is up and running) about pulling the neck about halfway to the side of your face. i kinda got much better doing the neck in the hollows to the side of my adams apple. i think i am getting better on technique with the straight, and that helps out the DE. i am getting some grey in my beard and i think the coarseness of grey hair has something to do with it, as well as my hair follicle iteself (?) or is that just some bull. my beard does not lay down when it grows out and has never been one to comb down, it just kinda grows out. i never could grow it long. i see pictures of my beard when i was 20 and now my goatee at 45 and it seems like two different things of hair. in fact, i used to have a fairly hairy chest and back and it has like dissappeared by more than half and even grey has crept in. i dont think my beard is all that heavy, but i will say i am lucky with impervious type of skin. i am thinking that the qed soaps and the rose in particular would not affect me, and i need to get off my lazy butt and get some

sam
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Yeah I agree with the tone of this forum...I also think that experince, technique and prep are more important than product itself...To an extent obviously, but I think those factors are key in determining a decent shave or a great shave no matter what cream soap is used...

I personally found the majority of the Trumpers creams didn't work any wonders on my skin at all and would never purchase, but many love it. Same goes for T&H Limes - I love the scent and lather this stuff produces, but something in it bugs my skin resulting in a sub-par shave at times (See Trade Forum!!). I wouldn't mind trying other T&H scents...

Another cream that I've had samples lying around for a while is Men-U. I lathered some up the otherday and got a great shave. Very nice lather and smooth shave...This is comparable to the three T's in terms of lather, lube & shave quality but falls short on scent...Its kinda plain/soapy but not un-pleasent by any means, just doesen't stand out like others
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

I hate to admit it, but if all I had was a somewhat decent brush-Joel.

My main man from northern California, please please do post on the shavemac brush upon arrival. Oh, I guess we should let you try it first!
Max