First Impressions: Castle-Forbes Limes & CR's a/s

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

First Impressions: Castle-Forbes Limes & CR's a/s

Post by mantic »

Gents-- This morning I had an opportunity to try a sample of Castle-Forbes Lime shaving cream and Charles Roberts' Lime & Green Tea aftershave balm.

The Castle-Forbes lathered *very* generously, in fact I believe I got the most lather for the smallest amount of cream of anything I've tried up to now. It was also very thick and aromatic; it applied to my face very well and its citrus scent filled my nose for the entire shaving experience (versus disappearing into the background after a few minutes). The cream may be slightly less lubricating than other high-end products I've tried, as I nicked myself a couple times. However I'm willing to give CF the benefit of the doubt here, as I'm on the down side of my razor cartridge's life. I'll definitely give this another try with a new blade.

After the shave I tried Charles Roberts' Lime & Green Tea aftershave balm. I wouldn't have thought to combine those two ingredients but the scents compliment each other well. Its applied to a wet face (vs. patting the face dry then applying). This product is unlike any aftershave product I've tried. The first thing I noticed was an unusual "tingle" on the skin. It didn't feel like a sting of alcohol. The tingling sensation lasted quite a long time (maybe 45 minutes). I'm not sure if I like this a/s or not...I'll use it over the next few days before deciding.

Bottom line: the Castle-Forbes lime shaving cream provided a wonderfully sensuous experience and is a product I'd enjoy using. I'm withholding final opinion on the CR aftershave balm until I give it more time.

--Mark
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

I would say that the lime cuts a bit closer than a lot of the cremes out there. I would try the lavender if i were you. That is the creme that I use when other cremes cut too close it gives me the heaviest lather and most comfortable shave of any of the cremes that I have. The lavender Castle Forbes is a very nick proof creme.

Peter
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.