Something more moisturizing than Talor's rose

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Pomination

Something more moisturizing than Talor's rose

Post by Pomination »

Hi all,

Well it's been 5 days now i'm wetshaving. I had bad days (especially the second one where my face was completely nicked and lot of red buttons).

I figured out 3 things :

- I applied too much pressure. Lligh touch means for no pressure at all !

- Merkur blades are not for me. Not sharp enough. They don't cut my hairs easilly. Today I switched to the Gillette Bleue Extra (only one found in France) and this is far far better.

- At the end of shaving my face is VERY dry. I can feel it by touching and because my skin fires. Of course this is better with aftershave balm. I'm affraid Taylor's rose is not moisturing enough for my skin. Any other good choice ? (my skin is a bit sensitve too)

Anyway, by adapting pressure and changing the blade, my face has a better ascpect today. Almost no more red buttons. So a great shaving cream will be welcome.

Thanks for advices.
baldchin

Post by baldchin »

I had problems with Taylor's Rose in the same way. I am sensitive to two of the ingredients. I won't say which ones as I don't want to start any sort of excitement!

The Lavender is much better even though one of the problem ingredients turns up in this too. Taylor's Avocado is often recommended for sensitive and dry skin. The Body Shop shaving cream seems to suit me as well. The best "premium" cream for me so far is Art of Shavings Lavender.

However, I find I have the super problem free shaves from Ingram - which I have bought in France, Erasmic, and Palmolive. I would always recommend any of these common brands to anyone to try as they are so inexpensive.

In the words of Jeff (crackstar) "shave to enjoy, not to impress". I would thought that in France you should easily be able to get all of the above, some local products, and other good and cheap creams such as Florena (which I am waiting to try) and Lavera which is available even in Northern Ireland! There is no reason to suppose that local French products are in anyway inferior to the fine English creams.

Incidentally I don't get satisfaction from Merkurs blades either - they really did used to be a lot better than they are now.

Cheers!
Will

If it's smokin' it's cookin', when it's black it's done.
Pomination

Post by Pomination »

Ok thanks for the anwser

I can sure find Palmoilive (green box) in France. There also is "La maison du barbier" (barbershop litteraly translated).

Two other brands are L'occitane and Weleda.

I was wondering about T&H products.
Darkwolf

Post by Darkwolf »

Baldchin gave some good advice, but I would like to also suggest Taylor’s Avocado, or, if they have it on that side of the pond, Kiss My Face. I use both of these often, and while they are both as moisturizing as I have found I still use aftershave balm and moisturizer after my shave.

It may be that you don't really have a dryness problem as much as sensitivity to the Rose cream. You might try T&H Ultimate or whatever their new one is called; I think it is supposed to be better for sensitive skin.

Good luck!
Jim

Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.
Mark Twain
baldchin

Post by baldchin »

You might also like to try Palmolive Shave sticks if they are available - really good shave and very cheap the Erasmic stick is even better.

I've never tried Weleda but surely its worth trying if it's inexpensive. You can then post a review telling us how good it is how cheap it where you live and how sorry you are that the North Americans have to pay so much to have it posted over the pond. You won't even have to gloat too much to have them groaning :D
Will

jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

I believe that it has been stated somewhere here that all Taylor's creams are pretty much the same formulation with the exception of scent. That being said I find the same thing with the rose that you mention but find the Taylor's Lemon & Lime to be one of the best for moisturizing properties. Could be that it's just my imagination but I guess as long as I believe it to be true it is for me at least.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
baldchin

Post by baldchin »

jvan wrote:I believe that it has been stated somewhere here that all Taylor's creams are pretty much the same formulation with the exception of scent. That being said I find the same thing with the rose that you mention but find the Taylor's Lemon & Lime to be one of the best for moisturizing properties. Could be that it's just my imagination but I guess as long as I believe it to be true it is for me at least.
Pretty much - yes it is. However, it is one of the minor variations which gives me a problem - I doubt it's just your imagination.
Will

sousy

Post by sousy »

jvan wrote:I believe that it has been stated somewhere here that all Taylor's creams are pretty much the same formulation with the exception of scent. That being said I find the same thing with the rose that you mention but find the Taylor's Lemon & Lime to be one of the best for moisturizing properties. Could be that it's just my imagination but I guess as long as I believe it to be true it is for me at least.
The ingredients that go into producing 'the scent' may also make a big difference. I have Taylor's Avacado and Rose, and they are both wildly different creams - the avacado is far 'oiler' than the Rose due to the inclusion of avacado oil.
Regards,

Chad
Pomination

Post by Pomination »

I took a look at what can be found in my local superstore today. And I found these :

- Palmolive shaving cream (green box)
- Mennen Sensitive shaving cream (grey box)
- La maison du barbier (barbershop) cream and soap
- Monsavon soap
- Wilkinson soap (blue box)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Oxymoron

Post by drmoss_ca »

More moisturising than Taylor's Rose? Either you have a problem with an ingredient or the new Taylors formulations have gone downhill in a very big way. Time was when Taylors rose was considered the ne plus ultra of soothing, lubricating protective creams. Fortunately I still have six tubs under the sink of the old formulation.
I have tried many of the alternatives suggested, and enjoy some of them as novelties - J.M.Fraser, Florena, Palmolive, Vulfix, Musgo, KMF and Erasmic belong in this category. I have to say that my experience shows that totally rock-solid protective creams are Taylor's (old, not tried new), Trumper's and the late lamented Charles Tyrrwhitt cream. I have not found a T&H cream I can say the same of, nor does Nancy Boy do it for me. I have no experience of Coates' or Salter's so make no comment on them.
Eventually you get to the point where experimentation loses its thrill, and you stick with what works. I suppose there is a reason why these old companies are still around!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
alchemist

Re: Oxymoron

Post by alchemist »

drmoss_ca wrote:More moisturising than Taylor's Rose? Either you have a problem with an ingredient or the new Taylors formulations have gone downhill in a very big way. Time was when Taylors rose was considered the ne plus ultra of soothing, lubricating protective creams. Fortunately I still have six tubs under the sink of the old formulation.
I have tried many of the alternatives suggested, and enjoy some of them as novelties - J.M.Fraser, Florena, Palmolive, Vulfix, Musgo, KMF and Erasmic belong in this category. I have to say that my experience shows that totally rock-solid protective creams are Taylor's (old, not tried new), Trumper's and the late lamented Charles Tyrrwhitt cream. I have not found a T&H cream I can say the same of, nor does Nancy Boy do it for me. I have no experience of Coates' or Salter's so make no comment on them.
Eventually you get to the point where experimentation loses its thrill, and you stick with what works. I suppose there is a reason why these old companies are still around!

Chris
Chris, you're sounding like Gordon in terms of tiring a bit from experimenting and wanting to stick with what works best. But you have to try Coates rose, which is a magnificent cream in every respect. I have about a half a tub left and I'd be happy to send you a sample the following week if you PM me your address; its definitely in my top 3 in every category of measure of a shave cream.
Regards,
-Mahesh
Pomination

Post by Pomination »

Maybe my problem comes form lathering. it's not always easy to get a fine lather.
I don't know how Mantis can put so much water in its mug. If I do so, the lather is simply liquid....
Unles my bowl is too small. I think this is a bowl for soap.
Scorpio

Post by Scorpio »

You are dumping the water out before lathering... right?

I have seen Mark's videos and the amount of water he uses for the lather mix is correct. I don't see the lather being liquid as you describe it unless you have a bowl full of water.

What do you mean by a "fine" lather? The lather should be thick and creamy "merengue" like.

Rafael
"A well lathered face is only half of a good shave"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Pomination, I'm with Chris on this. From your description, I don't believe your difficulties are a result of the cream. I think they are technique issues. While it's possible that you are having an allergic reaction to some ingredient, the little red spots ( ingrowns? ) and dryness suggest, among other things, improper blade angle to me, and, also, as you suspected, perhaps too much pressure. While most of us love to get into, and talk about, products, the fact is that most of the quality of a DE shave is really about technique. I too have not used the new version, but, the old Taylor's Rose cream was about as good as they get, and better then the large majority of other products available. It's not a shaving cream's job to 'moisturize'. It's job is to provide beard softening and lubrication, and to keep water on/in the whiskers. If you really think that you may be allergic to something in the Taylor creams, then by all means pick up some Palmolive or something, and see if that makes a difference. But mainly, I think, work on improving your razor and lathering techniques, and over time, things should improve.
Regards,
Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

alchemist wrote:
Chris, you're sounding like Gordon in terms of tiring a bit from experimenting and wanting to stick with what works best. But you have to try Coates rose, which is a magnificent cream in every respect. I have about a half a tub left and I'd be happy to send you a sample the following week if you PM me your address; its definitely in my top 3 in every category of measure of a shave cream.
Regards,
Who's sounding like Gordon now? ;)
Richard
baldchin

Post by baldchin »

Just to clarify - I recommend the cheaper creams as a way to try something different (from Taylor's Rose) without spending too much money. Not because they are better or more moisturising. As stated it is not the job of creams - basically soap, to moisturise.

Having said that I find little difference in quality of shave between an Erasmic at 99p and a tub of Taylors at £6.50. The main points of divergence being the lurid colouring, the smell and £5.51.

The essential oil creams lavender / avocado, are something a little different.
Will

alchemist

Post by alchemist »

rustyblade wrote:
alchemist wrote:
Regards,
Who's sounding like Gordon now? ;)
Well spotted Richard. :)

No doubt, Gordon's suggestions of Coates, Harris, Floris and Injectors (to name just a few) over the years have been instrumental in my adoption and love of these fine products.

And just to clarify, i have also come to know what i like and generally prefer to use the true and tried creams that work for me. Having said that, as you very well know being my generous benefactor from the North :) , i am also going through this quest for good drugstore "high street type" shave products at the moment with various Palmolives high on the list right now. I feel most of us when first starting out want to experiment more than after we have had a good year or two of trial and fun, and then settle into more of a routine of knowing what we like best and using them most often. I think its similar to whether one goes to a restaurant that they know they like or whether you try a new one. Occasionally, my girlfriend and i will try a new restaurant but most of the time we pick a restaurant we know depending on the type of food and ambiance that we want that day.

Best,
-Mahesh