why are the high end creams better than plain old edge gel

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
mikey

why are the high end creams better than plain old edge gel

Post by mikey »

as i mentioned in this thread:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... 7&start=39

i felt that all luxury shaving creams are overated.

the following are the lists of ingredients for two popular shaving creams:

taylor avocado cream:

Water
Stearic Acid
Myristic Acid
Potassium Hydoxide
Coconut Acid
Glycerin
Triethanolamine
Fragrance
Avocado Oil
Sodium Hydroxide
Methylparaben
Propylparaben

edge advanced gel:

Water
Palmitic Acid
Triethanolamine
Stearic Acid
Isopentane
Sunflower Oil
Sorbitol
Vitamin E
Glycerin
Fragrance
PVP
Isobutane
PEG-90M
FD&C Blue 1

propellants aside, it seems to me that they are both full of same and similar chemicals so...

why are the high end creams better than plain old edge gel?

thanks,
mike

mikey wrote:...i think all luxury shaving creams are overrated but i will defer my position until i can determine how best to state my opinion in the form of a question that can be debated academically amongst gentlemen instead of spiralling into an out of control flame war...
golfhacker

Post by golfhacker »

I can't speak to ingredients, but now that I know how to properly whip up a high end cream with a brush, I can get a fabulous shave with an aggressive razor. Something I would not dare to try (again) with a canned gel.

IMO, there is a huge difference in practice, whatever the ingredients may lead one to believe.
f308gt4

Post by f308gt4 »

I think technique probably makes the biggest difference. If you have good technique, you will get a good shave regardless of the cream you use, or the razor you use.

I have gone on business trips when I've used edge gel to shave with, and gotten a perfectly good shave. Same thing with the razor. I usually use a gillette sensor, but occasionally a gillette adjustable DE. Either way, I can get a good shave.

The advantage of the luxury creams is that you can get nicer scents/more variety. Also, I think that using a brush May help with regard to prepping your skin for the shave. But even that is debatable.

In the end, it all comes down to personal preference. Use what makes you happy.

What's nice about this board is that you find yourself paying attention to how you shave, perfecting your technique, and reading about new things to try, product wise.

If you are happy with edge gel, then by all means use it. You will probably save some money over buying luxury creams, and can use that towards something else that you would rather spend it on. (Or, you could save it...).
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

i'll defer the more indepth things to the more seasoned sufferers of SCAD but two obvious things to me are the scents of the cream (ie having a scent to begin with and not a terrible one at that) and simply the fact that it will lather will a brush and provide a nicer a experience with the brush. Even if edge worked as well as cremo cream or other brushless wonders i dont think i could ever switch to using them now :?

with proper prep im sure i could get a good shave with them but i certainly wouldnt enjoy it as much, ymmv as always
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

YMMV

I like to shave with brush+cream, but I can get very good quick shaves with Edge gel

As f308gt4 said, with a good technique, you can get good shaves ; why do u think most guys have bad shaves with canned gels? bad technique, they shave in a rush etc... when some of of them swith to traditional shaving, they improve their technique because they have to be careful with a DE ; if they switch back to Edge, they'll realize it's not that bad
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Better lather. You cannot thicken or thin edge gel to suite your skin's needs but you can do this with a high end cream or soap. Better lubricity. The lubricity of high end creams is superior because there's more of it. Edge etc is mostly air. More lubricity and more control means better treatment of your skin which is a vast advantage over canned stuff.

Why do you think razor manufacturers started putting lubristrips on razors? Because there's not enough in the can.

Now this is not to say you can't shave with the canned stuff - you can. But before you can determine what's better give them both a try. Master lather making then ask yourself "which do I like better?" My guess is most guys won't look back once they try the high end stuff if they can afford it. Hope that helps.

Chris
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

Some shave gels are very lubricating. I have a super mega thick dark facial hair+dry/sensitive skin and use a M3
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

EL Alamein wrote:Why do you think razor manufacturers started putting lubristrips on razors?
I agree with most of your points, but I sometimes suspect that the lubricating strips on cartridge razors are there because they wear out quickly and make the razor feel worse after a few days, thus causing a significant number of men to throw away good blades. If the cartridge had hard plastic that was the same shape as a lube strip, I suspect it would work better longer.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

rafikz, Let me put it this way; I can't think of anyone, in the three years or more I've been on these shave forums, who once they learned to make a good lather with traditional creams or soaps, ever went back to using canned stuff. In a sense, that fact says all that needs to be said.

The main keys to the Taylor's formula that you listed, are the glycerine and the coconut acid. These are fatty acids that bond with water molecules. This creates a lather that is very wet, which in turn, helps to soften the whiskers and helps the razor to cut more cleanly. Canned products hold no water at all, they merely keep on the skin what is already there, from your pre-prep. They rely, almost exclusively on lubrication, but, if you want to shave that way, you're better off with a brushless product like Cremo Cream, which also depends upon lubrication, but does a better job of it.
Regards,
Gordon
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

bernards66 wrote:rafikz, Let me put it this way; I can't think of anyone, in the three years or more I've been on these shave forums, who once they learned to make a good lather with traditional creams or soaps, ever went back to using canned stuff. In a sense, that fact says all that needs to be said.

The main keys to the Taylor's formula that you listed, are the glycerine and the coconut acid. These are fatty acids that bond with water molecules. This creates a lather that is very wet, which in turn, helps to soften the whiskers and helps the razor to cut more cleanly. Canned products hold no water at all, they merely keep on the skin what is already there, from your pre-prep. They rely, almost exclusively on lubrication, but, if you want to shave that way, you're better off with a brushless product like Cremo Cream, which also depends upon lubrication, but does a better job of it.
Regards,
Gordon
Hey, to each his own ; enjoy your 3 T's

And I would rather shave with Edge gel than with Cremo Cream
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

rafikz, Ooops, my error. My above post should have been addressed to Mikey, who posted the original question.
Regards,
Gordon
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

It's all good, Gordon, no problem
JimT

Post by JimT »

For me, a $0.97 puck of Williams Mug Shaving Soap with liberal amounts of water and my Proraso Omega shave brush is far better than any aerosol shave gel and a lot more fun. Prime the brush with Kiss My Face Pure Olive Oil soap or add two drops of olive oil to the Williams before lathering for added moisture. I use Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel as an aftershave when using Williams and my face feels great afterwards with a nice lemon scent. I get a close and comfortable shave too.

JimT
The Riehle Axiom - "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"
Stauff

Post by Stauff »

As my respected tutor in college used to say: 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'. You'll be amazed.
Regards,
Frederik

'Alles Behaartsein ist tierisch. Die Rasur ist Abzeichen höherer Zivilisation' (Arthur Schopenhauer)
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

I think there's more water in a properly lathered cream than in what comes out of the can. The gel is designed to hold the water that's on your face in place, and the lather is just full of water to begin with.

I think you can get a very good shave from a gel, but your face needs to start with more water on it.
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

Honestly, with correct prep a attention, I get excellent shaves with some gels ; some of them are well formulated
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

Mikey, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If you see no difference beween these two products, you made the right decision.

It wouldn't be the right one for me. Quality products don't make a huge difference in the physical nature of the shave. You can probably end up with the same shave. But getting there is much more fun with the aroma and feel of quality creams, and the skin feels much better when you're done. I can't tell you which ingredients do it, but it's probably a secret recipe. The quality products provide a total sensual experience and account for a lot for the pleasure I derive from the shave. I never got that from gel, and it means a lot to me. It was just a matter of snob appeal I owuld be using cannned gel
Joe
timc

Post by timc »

Stauff wrote:As my respected tutor in college used to say: 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'. You'll be amazed.
Well, I guess if I was going to eat one I guess it would be the avocado cream, but I'd really rather not. I think they should be reserved for external use only.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
jallen013

Post by jallen013 »

i appreciate the ritual of using a traditional shave cream and find the usage of the brush and the whipping of the lather very comforting in the morning. with every shave it serves as a reminder to take the time to slow down and enjoy life a bit instead of having to rush through everything all the time.
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

jallen013 wrote:i appreciate the ritual of using a traditional shave cream and find the usage of the brush and the whipping of the lather very comforting in the morning. with every shave it serves as a reminder to take the time to slow down and enjoy life a bit instead of having to rush through everything all the time.
If I spent too much time shaving, I wouldn't enjoy life as much ; we have to go out and enjoy!