Anyone tried mixing creams

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
sillyshaver

Anyone tried mixing creams

Post by sillyshaver »

Hey Gents,

Anyone ever tried mixing creams...what were the results?
I did a quick search and couldn't seem to find anything.

I have green proraso, arko sensitive and commando.

Was thinking about trying a combo of proraso and arko sensitive tomorrow.

Am I crazy or bored.
timc

Post by timc »

I've never tried this. What are you hoping to achieve?
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
sillyshaver

Post by sillyshaver »

Hey Tim,

Good question. I'm not sure to be honest. I guess just curious to see if the cooling effect of the proraso still holds true as well as the scent of the arko...will one overpower the other?

timc wrote:I've never tried this. What are you hoping to achieve?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well, yes, it can work, I've done it myself albeit by accident.

As most members are aware the creams in tubs have both an outer shell and inner liner. While traveling I swirl the Simpson Major around in the cream in the liner and use the shell as a mixing bowl. While using creams at home I use an antique olive spoon to scoop out the cream and transfer to the large mixing cup. This instrument has a sharp edge and point so the creams take on a definite shape as the amount in the tub is reduced through usage.

When planning a recent trip I decided to use up the remainder in a tub of Taylors Almond cream and noticed the spoon had left a sharply defined small amount in the liner that would not be enough for a week long trip and while digging around found a mostly depleted tube of Trumpers Sandalwood cream and decided to empty that into the available space in the Taylors tub.

Well you guys can guess the rest. On the first day through haste and inattention I swirled the brush across both and had an almond/sandalwood blend for my morning shave.

Did it work? Yes, quite well in fact, for that and subsequent shaves. Would I have done the combo on purpose? No, it wouldn't have have occured to me as being any sort of improvement as in a sum of parts sort of thing as the high end English creams work so well on their own there is no need to augment one with the other.

Not to say the idea isn't sound for other products. I used Williams shave soap together with Palmolive shave cream for decades with good results and it stands to reason that for price point or value products why not try some combinations. Pennies per use and if it doesn't work toss it and start over.

I won't be blending my Harris almond with Castle Forbes lime though.

Regards,
Squire
sillyshaver

Post by sillyshaver »

Hi Squire,

Great story...It just donned on my that it might give me a new scent, feel, etc. without having to buy another cream...just something to try I guess.

And as you said with the cheap creams I have...not big loss if it doesn't work out.

Will report tomorrow how it goes.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

This weekend I believe I will try Nancy Boy with SCS Minted Chocolate. Sounds yummy!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

I mix creams once in a while and I have a couple combos I like.

I like the combination of Proraso & Nancy Boy. I came up with this because in the winter I find Proraso to be too cooling . . . I still want to use it and NB’s peppermint scent compliments Proraso nicely. If I use about 1:4 Proraso to NB I can enjoy the Proraso without shivering while I shave.

I accidentally mixed Taylor Rose with C&E Almond. I really like the shave I get from each of the creams on their own, but the scents are just so-so. Together, though, I like the scent and the shave is as good as you would expect from either of the creams alone.

Taylor lavender seems to go well with Proraso or Erasmic. I had a tub of Taylor Lavender and I didn’t particularly like the scent so I tried those combos once each. The blends were OK, but I guess I just don’t like lavender.

For the most part I like the scents of the creams I’ve tried and I don’t have a reason to mix.

One thing I’ve been considering is getting an unscented soap from one of the upper shelf companies and using that as a base for mixing my daily cream on. Haven’t tried that yet, though.

Mike
mike

Post by mike »

:arrow:
Last edited by mike on Thu May 14, 2009 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
sillyshaver

Post by sillyshaver »

Well this a.m. I followed through and mixed Proraso Green with Arko Sensitive.

The air outside was cleaner, food tasted better, I was finally able to run a 4 minute mile...ahhh ok maybe not.

But I did enjoy the fact that I was able to get the cooling sensation of the Proraso along with the scent of the Arko...really nice combo and well worth doing. I'll probably add it to the rotation...every third day mix the two etc.
I did a 50/50 mix
Howard

Post by Howard »

I do this frequently. I can't resist trying various combinations.

Proraso + Tom's of Maine Mint
Palmolive + Williams
KMF + akro stick
etc.
etc.
etc.
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

I made a Ghetto DaVinci Shave Cream with Trumpers Rose and Taylors Lavender.
Last edited by AACJ on Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Many people use cheap soap and mix a little cream in to improve the shave. Have fun!
sillyshaver

Post by sillyshaver »

Hey Howard,

How was the Proraso/Tom's of Maine Mint combo...I've read that Tom's has a similar cooling effect as the Proraso. Must have turned you face into a block of ice.
Howard wrote:I do this frequently. I can't resist trying various combinations.

Proraso + Tom's of Maine Mint
Palmolive + Williams
KMF + akro stick
etc.
etc.
etc.
acoldspoon

Post by acoldspoon »

My cheer up shave is a mix of Salter Vetiver with Castle Forbes Lime, very luxurious and intoxicating.
Cheers,
Peter J
Howard

Post by Howard »

sillyshaver wrote:Hey Howard,

How was the Proraso/Tom's of Maine Mint combo...I've read that Tom's has a similar cooling effect as the Proraso. Must have turned you face into a block of ice.
Quite nice. It is not a multiplicative cooling effect, so my face didn't freeze. They complement each other well.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have mixed Florena and Body Shop a couple of times. A poor man's answer to SCAD :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?