Short Trumpers review

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Thor

Short Trumpers review

Post by Thor »

I received a small collection (samples) of Trumpers shaving creams, skin food (lime & coral) and colognes recently.

As I'm new to wetshaving (coming from a Braun flex-control electric), my lathering technique is far from perfect, but I usually am able to get a really nice lather for at least the first pass.

Anyway, so far the Violet is my favourite (good thing that's the one I actually ordered, in a tub, when I ordered the Merkur HD classic!).

Sandalwood was nice too, until my cohabitant commented that I smelled like an old man :-(

Eton is an interesting complex scent, that got more positive comments from SWMBO. It seems to combine elements both from Sandalwood (earthy, spicy) with some floral aspects as well (is that violet or rose way back there in the background I smell?).

I wanted very much to like the coconut, and loved the smell. However, try as I might (about 4 times, until the sample ran out), I could not get a good lather out of it. It seems thinner than the others somehow, don't know if that's due to the coconut oil or something else. It didn't get as thick as the others, didn't cover the face (multiple swipes simply replaced each other, instead of building up layer by layer). Another disappointment was that the smell disappeared quickly. The violet (and others) give you a whiff of fragrance throughout the day, not so with the coconut. Maybe I got a bad batch. What experience do others have with the Coconut oil cream?

The lime was a better latherer, and also a smell I love (tropics are always popular :-)), but also one that didn't last or revisit me throughout the day.

Rose was also very nice, I can see why people rave about the Violet and Rose scented creams. Even though they're flowers, they are definately not feminine scents. Very nice indeed!

I haven't had opportunity to try the Almond, but will add to this post when I do.

As for the "skin food", both work very well, but I prefer the lime scent to the coral. The coral is a bit too feminine (or like candy) for my tastes. IMHO it really doesn't matter which one uses, as the scent dissapears quickly and allows the scent of the shaving cream used to come forward. Considering the size of the sampler I received, I won't need to place an order for another 9-12 months or so! A little goes a long way...

The colognes have also been relegated to wait until I learn more about the creams and improve my technique.

Oh, and aside from the Trumpers, I LOVE the Proraso, really great stuff, really great lather, really great scent and cooling effect on the skin (even if the water is piping hot). I think I'll use the Proraso for travelling (smaller tub, soap) and have one or two Trumpers for day to day shaving.

Just a few opinions from a newbie to Wet shaving.

Thor
PonyPlayer

Post by PonyPlayer »

I had requested some samples from Trumper's at the end of April. Have yet to receive anything but am hoping to soon.

I've been using the coral skin food for a few weeks (ordered from QED) and find that it works very nicely. I've been using the skin food then applying some T&H balm which I like alot.

Just waiting for the samples.

Patrick
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

I, too, have been waiting for Trumper's to send along some cologne samples. I get nice emails from the lady in London, but no samples. (Charles very kindly sent me a couple - one of which was Sandlewood, which I absolutely love!).

As for that significant other and the 'old man smell', tell them that the old chicken makes the best soup. Cheers, John.