Do all creams feel like Proraso?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Do all creams feel like Proraso?

Post by fallingwickets »

Putting on my super sleuth hat I managed to find the spa section at Target and bought myself a tube of Proraso cream.

A much thicker lather than I usually get with my Taylors soap, but it made my face feel as though it was slightly numb. Do all creams do this? I also thought that I put more pressure on the blade because otherwise I didn't really "feel" it. One pass (ns) left me decently smooth but not to excited about using it again. Then I did my head using a Fusion and that was an incredibly good shave.

I'm still waiting for the tabac I ordered last week. If it as good as everyone says it is, I'm going to give the proraso away and end my dabbling in creams.

Clive
crawlingchaos

Post by crawlingchaos »

The slight numbing is from the menthol. It affects some people more strongly than others. It's one of the best creams out there, but, like anything, it may not be the best for your face.
What neither political party has ever learned is the most basic of all lessons: When you make someone else's character the issue, your own character becomes the issue too.
-David Gerrold
jdavis54

Post by jdavis54 »

No, it's kinda unique as a cream as far as the "numbing" sensation. If you get the chance try some Trumper's or T&H, they're the best imo.
Jordan

Money might not buy happiness, but it will let you choose the misery that suits you best.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clive, I agree with Jordan. Proraso is it's own thing. Although it's a good quality shave cream, it is loaded with menthol and eucalyptus, and so it has that intense 'cooling', 'numbing' sensation. Personally, I can't use it because of those ingrediants. By no means should you "give up on creams". Rather, try one of the top shelf classic English shave creams ( afterall, you use one of their hard shave soaps ). Trumpers, Coate's, T&H, Harris's, Taylors.....pick a scent you'd like, and try that. Just remember, the technique with lathering up a traditional cream is a little different then a hard soap. Place a blob, the size of a kidney bean in an appropriate lathering bowl, soak your brush, swirl, rapidly sweep back and forth, pump a few times, etc., and you should get a fine lather, one that I think you'll enjoy.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

In general, creams do seem to lather a bit differently than soaps do, and you might prefer one way or the other - but Proraso is one of only very few that have the numbing menthol effect. There are others, but they are much less common. Don't give up on creams - you probably just don't like menthol.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gentlemen

Thanks so much for your input. I'm going to see if I can trade the Prosaro for something else, If not I'll buy a tube at classic. I need blades anyway.

Clive
prism

Post by prism »

Clive, I'd like to recommend the Cyril Salter line of shave creams to you. The quality of the lather is exceptional, and the 6.7 oz. jar will last a long time! I also use and enjoy Proraso, but I whip it into a lather on my face as opposed to a shaving bowl. This is because it is so dense when it comes out of the tube. You might want to try Proraso's wheat germ shave cream. It comes in a red tube, and does not have the numbing effect that the (green) eucalyptus cream does.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Prism,

When you say the red Prorasso has no numbing affect, do you mean it contains no menthol? There is no cooling affect either? I thought the red Proasso was being discontinued???

Steve
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

What color Proraso did you get? The green is the strongest. The red also has some menthol in it, but just a touch.

It is a very nice cream for the summer. Nice chilling effect in the heat.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

fallingwickets wrote:Gentlemen

Thanks so much for your input. I'm going to see if I can trade the Prosaro for something else, If not I'll buy a tube at classic. I need blades anyway.

Clive
For the price of the Proraso, just hold onto it for a while instead of trading it. You'll spend almost as much shipping it away as you paid for it in the first place, and because of its great availability and low price, it doesn't command all that much of a trade value. If you'd like to sample another cream, I'm sure there are members who would accommodate you sans trade or fee.

I think that the numbing can be a little wrong for a beginner, but otherwise, it's a fine product. Get good at the shave, and wait till Spring, when you might value the cooling effect a little more, then give it a go.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Scott

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts. I'm definitely going to keep it to use shaving my head. A new tube of T&H is on the way, but if it feels like prosaro in that I can't feel/hear the blade I'll be a permanent soap man.

Clive

:)
prism

Proraso Red

Post by prism »

Hello Steve, I'm not sure about the Proraso red being discontinued, I still see it offered on a number of websites. The menthol content in the wheat germ(red) tube is very slight, nothing like the eucalyptus(green) which I prefer. I guess I'm something of a dinosaur, lol, I love menthol! Unfortunately, mentholated products are becoming hard to find. Prism
timc

Re: Proraso Red

Post by timc »

prism wrote:Hello Steve, I'm not sure about the Proraso red being discontinued, I still see it offered on a number of websites. The menthol content in the wheat germ(red) tube is very slight, nothing like the eucalyptus(green) which I prefer. I guess I'm something of a dinosaur, lol, I love menthol! Unfortunately, mentholated products are becoming hard to find. Prism
Having only tried the Red, I'm surprised to hear that it is only slightly mentholated. It still gets my face tingling. I can only imagine what the Green is like!
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
Steve

Post by Steve »

Prism,

I actually thought I wouldn't like the menthol in Proraso but I bought some anyway and I like it very much! I was just curious about the red Proraso. Thanks for the info!

Steve
rafikz

Re: Proraso Red

Post by rafikz »

timc wrote:
prism wrote:Hello Steve, I'm not sure about the Proraso red being discontinued, I still see it offered on a number of websites. The menthol content in the wheat germ(red) tube is very slight, nothing like the eucalyptus(green) which I prefer. I guess I'm something of a dinosaur, lol, I love menthol! Unfortunately, mentholated products are becoming hard to find. Prism
Having only tried the Red, I'm surprised to hear that it is only slightly mentholated. It still gets my face tingling. I can only imagine what the Green is like!
Ditto
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

prism wrote:Clive, I'd like to recommend the Cyril Salter line of shave creams to you. The quality of the lather is exceptional, and the 6.7 oz. jar will last a long time! I also use and enjoy Proraso, but I whip it into a lather on my face as opposed to a shaving bowl. This is because it is so dense when it comes out of the tube. You might want to try Proraso's wheat germ shave cream. It comes in a red tube, and does not have the numbing effect that the (green) eucalyptus cream does.
I too really enjoy the Salter creams and am able to get consistently great shaves from them. It's nice to see another fan - gets lonley out here!

I also enjoy Proraso creams (both the green and red versions), but actually prefer the Proraso soap...again, it's lonely out here....
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

You guys aren't trying to turn me into one of those scad people are you??? :lol:

Where do you recommend buying the Salter soaps/creams from?

Clive
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

fallingwickets wrote:You guys aren't trying to turn me into one of those scad people are you??? :lol:

Where do you recommend buying the Salter soaps/creams from?

Clive
:twisted: Charles at QED or ClassicShaving - both have fine selections.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I should have had this conversation yesterday since what is another item on an already long order list? I'll have to remember for next time :)

Clive

off Topic: It would be great if places like Classic Shaving had a wish list ala Amazon
Amyn

Post by Amyn »

All cream certainly do not feel like Proraso ( I am a big fan of this cream and it is in my weekly rotation).

The menthol imparts the feeling of numbness. Other creams certainly do not create that sort of feel on the skin. Do try some other creams before giving up. Order a sample pack