Tub or Tube?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Tub or Tube?

Post by fallingwickets »

I'm on the verge of ordering my very first cream (the proraso doesn't count :D ) , but I'm not sure if I should buy the tub or the tube version. Is it generally just a personal preference or is there a difference between the two?

Thanks

Clive
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Re: Tub or Tube?

Post by rustyblade »

fallingwickets wrote:I'm on the verge of ordering my very first cream (the proraso doesn't count :D ) , but I'm not sure if I should buy the tub or the tube version. Is it generally just a personal preference or is there a difference between the two?

Thanks

Clive
Depends. Tubs offer better value, but I buy tubes now because I have so much stuff, I am unlikely to ever finish a tube, let alone a tub. This is such a bizarre obsession and makes no sense whatsoever.
Richard
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

It's all a matter of personal choice. I prefer tubs to tubes for several reasons. First they are stackable, which I find to be a space saver. Second, I think they look better in my bathroom as opposed to crimped and messy tubes. Lastly, the tubs offer a better value. You get more product.

I also think it looks kind of cool to see all those little tubs with their various scents and creams just sitting there. I have a shelving unit in my bathroom on which one entire three foot shelf is devoted to shaving stuff.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

If the tub is more economical, then tub it shall be.

Many thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Clive
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

If I had my way every cream would be available in a metal tube like the Proraso that doesn't count as your first cream.
I prefer tubes for every reason except economics.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
msandoval858

Post by msandoval858 »

If it's a cream I know I like, I will always buy the tub. If it's something I'm just trying out for the first time, the tube it is. Even though it's not as economical, it's a smaller purchase and SWMBO doesn't complain. Chances are I'll wind up trading it off anyways :lol:
Mike
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

ichabod wrote:If I had my way every cream would be available in a metal tube like the Proraso that doesn't count as your first cream.
I like the metal tubes for the classic looks and durability factor, but I like the plastic tubes because they maintain their shape and don't get dented.
Richard
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Mike

Glad I haven't hit the order button yet. Your point about the first time makes really good sense. Tube it is then :?

Clive
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

I have tubes of Proraso, green and red, and a tube of Trumper's Limes that I just used this morning. I will say that I don't care for the Trumpers. It doesn't have that strong, zesty lime that I was expecting. So from that POV I'm glad I only purchased a tube.

It's a perfectly fine cream, it just isn't as strong as I would like it to be.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

rustyblade wrote:
ichabod wrote:If I had my way every cream would be available in a metal tube like the Proraso that doesn't count as your first cream.
I like the metal tubes for the classic looks and durability factor, but I like the plastic tubes because they maintain their shape and don't get dented.
I like to be able to roll the metal tubes up on those key things from C&E, among other things. I have to cut into the plastic tubes to make sure I've used every last tiny little molecule of the cream. Did I just admit that in public?
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

wrath186 wrote:I have tubes of Proraso, green and red, and a tube of Trumper's Limes that I just used this morning. I will say that I don't care for the Trumpers. It doesn't have that strong, zesty lime that I was expecting. So from that POV I'm glad I only purchased a tube.

It's a perfectly fine cream, it just isn't as strong as I would like it to be.
This is certainly a good argument for tubes. I just vary.

Btw. You need to try T&H Limes. The Tube is plastic, btw, though. And not that big. But tube or tub, it is my favorite Lime cream. Much zestier than Trumper.

-Mo
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

It doesn't have that strong, zesty lime that I was expecting
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is the T&H better, because that's what I'm planning to buy?

TIA

Clive
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

ichabod wrote: I have to cut into the plastic tubes to make sure I've used every last tiny little molecule of the cream. Did I just admit that in public?
That sounds like the kind of stupid answer you tell the doctor when they ask you "so how did you cut your finger?" while they are stitching closed the bone-deep cut in your finger. :lol:
Richard
jfrancisco

Post by jfrancisco »

If you want strong, zesty limes I recommend the Castle Forbes Limes. I did not like either the Trumper's or T&H Limes.

What one likes another won't . . . that's why this is kind of fun :D
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. - Salvador Dali
SteveL

Post by SteveL »

I was under the impression that tubs were better. I have heard that the consistency is better, and won't be overly soupy or dried out.
-Steve
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Hi;

I have quit using tubes unless they are the metal tubes. In the past couple of weeks the tops broke off two tubes, one while I was unscrewing the top, so it wasn't like I was exerting too much pressure to tighten the lid. I didn't even know the lid was broken until I tried to put it back on. I've had at least a half dozen tubes break, and lost most if not all of the cream. I'm not using any more cheap tubes and wasting cream; seems companies could use decent materials considering how expensive the tubes are per unit of cream anyway. I will just scoop out cream in the tub and put it in a durable plastic container I can get at any drug store.

BobS
Ken

Post by Ken »

Sometimes, the product can seem different between the tub and the tube. One is not necessarily better than the other, although the tubs are usually more consistent and less likely to have a problem.

Ken
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ken, I agree, plus, if one buys in person, pots are easier to check out before one purchases. And, as a generalization, I have found that with some creams, the potted stuff just seems to be a little higher quality, or at least, a little denser and concentrated. This seems especially true of the T&H creams, and was the case with the old version Taylors. At least that's been my experiance.
Regards,
Gordon
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

I would also point out that, for those of us who do not use a lathering bowl, the tub is designed for swirling the brush in order to load it with creme. One cannot do that with a tube.

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...