Tabac Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
ScottS

Tabac Soap

Post by ScottS »

Well, I got my shipment from Imagination Perfumery. $13 or thereabouts for Tabac Soap, in the holder, free shipping. Fabulous deal.

This is definitely an animal soap, and you can tell before you open the box. Top ingredients are all Stearates and Tallowates.

I like the glass jar. Seems to look better than the wood holders to me, and I won't worry about getting it wet or anything. There are some wide ridges inside the jar that hold the soap snugly. It's a tad deeper than your typical full wooden bowl, and so doesn't make that much of a mess. I'd prefer it a quarter inch or so deeper, though.

The lather is excellent, even with my softish badger. Whips up fast, real thick. More than lubricating enough for the Feather AC.

Shave is fabulous. This will see a lot of use.

I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys the Tabac scent, especially at this price. If you don't care for the scent, you might not like this soap if scent is important to you. It might also be strong enough to step on an EDC-- haven't tried it yet, as it was an all-Tabac morning.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Yes Tabac is a great soap. A case of where the contents do live up to the great packaging. I remember when I first bought that soap and I opened it up. Very impressive. I love that little foil liner inside too and of course the scent is great.
Richard
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

Any pics? I've heard or Tabac, but never had the opportunity to purchase some.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Scott,

Can you describe the scent? Do you know if a soap made with animal fat is any less healthy than using a soap made with vegetable oil base? I've never tried a tallow based shaving soap.

Steve
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Steve wrote:Scott,

Can you describe the scent? Do you know if a soap made with animal fat is any less healthy than using a soap made with vegetable oil base? I've never tried a tallow based shaving soap.

Steve
http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121551.html is the basenotes listing. All the reviews are favorable.

I'd describe it as a sweetish tobacco, although that's not in the Fragrance Notes, maybe with a tad of citrus and some floral. Very masculine. My understanding is that Germans might associate this with the elderly, as it's been around a while, but that's not a problem here. It's a favorite of my wife's (they really should package the stuff with a stick to keep the women off), and quite a bargain. Definitely a mass-market scent that works. It doesn't seem like it would work at the hight of summer, but the floral and citrus notes actually make it OK.

As to the animal fats, they've been used in soaps for centuries, and my favorite shaving soaps seem to be tallow-based--the lather just seems richer for some reason maybe a soap maker can explain. I've certainly been fond of eating animals for much of my life, and it hasn't killed me yet. My great-grandfather was a butcher, and I remember the tallow truck coming around to collect his trimmings.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

wrath186 wrote:Any pics? I've heard or Tabac, but never had the opportunity to purchase some.
PIC here

It's a little tough to link to, but just click the thumbnail of the SOAP IN BOWL for a bigger image.
Steve

Post by Steve »

They are sold out right now and they have a free shipping promotion going on...damn! No more until January.

Steve
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Well, I got my shipment from Imagination Perfumery
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm hoping mine comes today. New brush, new soap.......can't wait to shave :D
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

Steve wrote:Scott,

Steve
It's a German take on Old Spice. I wouldn't say the two compare all that closely, but they are in the same vein. The scent on the soap does linger with you for some time after the shave if you don't use anything else, but in a good, mellow way. I would say it's my top soap. Easy to lather, plenty of cushion and protection, but still gives the nice, close shave you would expect from a quality soap.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Steve wrote:They are sold out right now and they have a free shipping promotion going on...damn! No more until January.

Steve
The page I linked to says the soap in the bowl is available, but the refill is sold out. Does something different happen during checkout??
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I went with a tube of the cream, as I already have the soap and like it a lot. Now I like the cream a lot too.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Steve

Post by Steve »

Scott,

I really don't need the bowl because I have too many mugs already. I will call and see if I can pre-order it along with some cologne.

Steve
Jay1974

Post by Jay1974 »

How does it compare to Mitchell's (which I just ordered for the first time)? Never used a tallow based soap before - I hope my skin can handle it!
Jay
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

A great package on the whole and a great performing soap.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Jay1974 wrote:How does it compare to Mitchell's (which I just ordered for the first time)? Never used a tallow based soap before - I hope my skin can handle it!
Jay
Quite similar actually, except for the scent and Mitchell's being a bit more moisturizing and skin-friendly. YMMV, of course.
Richard
Blue As A Jewel

rustyblade wrote:
Jay1974 wrote:How does it compare to Mitchell's (which I just ordered for the first time)? Never used a tallow based soap before - I hope my skin can handle it!
Jay
Quite similar actually, except for the scent and Mitchell's being a bit more moisturizing and skin-friendly. YMMV, of course.
I find the Kent/Mitchells a bit more difficult to work a lather - don't get me wrong it literally explodes and its a fine soap, but I'm having trouble with consistency...something I've not had with the Tabac. As Richard has said YMMV!
- Ravi -

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

blueasajewel wrote:
rustyblade wrote:
Jay
I find the Kent/Mitchells a bit more difficult to work a lather - don't get me wrong it literally explodes and its a fine soap, but I'm having trouble with consistency...something I've not had with the Tabac. As Richard has said YMMV!

True... I forgot about that because I have been using it so long. That soap dances to my tune now!

Just to add regarding Kent - try starting with less water. Add a few drops as necessary. Keep it thick and it will protect your skin.
Richard
Blue As A Jewel

rustyblade wrote:
blueasajewel wrote:
rustyblade wrote: Quite similar actually, except for the scent and Mitchell's being a bit more moisturizing and skin-friendly. YMMV, of course.
True... I forgot about that because I have been using it so long. That soap dances to my tune now!

Just to add regarding Kent - try starting with less water. Add a few drops as necessary. Keep it thick and it will protect your skin.
I love it when you talk tough...
- Ravi -

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Well, the first shave with the tabac went really well. I really like the scent and the shave was more comfortable than with the usual taylors. Next experiment is T&H cream :lol:

Clive
Ray

Post by Ray »

Tabac is defiantly my favorite soap, the cream on the other hand only rates an OK.
A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval. Mark Twain