Cant get a decent shave with Trumpers ;(

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Hytham, IL, et. al., When you're done lathering up the cream, it should be slick, almost wet or shiny looking, but peaked up like merinque and substantial. When shaving with the lather like this, the razor just glides, you barely even feel the blade, even on the first pass. Trumpers Coconut is one of the slickest, and most lubricating shave creams made ( actually, it a little TOO lubricating, or moisturizing for my skin ). The abiding mystery to me is; why can Hytham create a good useable lather with T&H cream, but not with the Trumpers? I've used all the English creams for years, and other factors and preferences aside, I've always found the lather from the T&H creams to be a little less 'slick' then the other four main brands. Regards, Gordon
InjuryLaw

Post by InjuryLaw »

Well, as I posted in another thread, I found out last night that both the Taylor's Almond and the Proraso Green provide me with a far superior shave with much more lubrication that the Trumper's Coconut, which is going back to the store today.
tigert

Post by tigert »

karim0028 wrote:As for the tub of almond that i had it was fluffy so im not sure if it was off or not... But, it just didnt feel like it lubricated well at all. Neither the tub or the samples. To be honest the best lubrication i get is from either proraso or T&H trafalgar.

Perhaps it just doesnt work for my skin????

-Hytham
I traded with Hytham for the tub of Trumpers Almond, and I can assure you there was no problem with the cream itself being dehydrated or anything like that. Actually I just used it this morning and had a great shave.

I too am clueless as to why you can get a good shave with T&H or Taylors and not Trumper creams, but in the case of the Almond I am positive it had nothing to do with the cream being stale.
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

Hytham: Don't sweat it. Write the Trumpers off. It's only one of many wonderful names in our world. I tried DR Harris Arlington Shave Cream (came in a tube) this morning for the first time, and it provided a WONDERFUL shave. I'm also a big fan of all the Prorasos. Best, John.
Robert G.

Post by Robert G. »

I second the DR Harris Arlington. Next to the Floris No. 89 hard soap, the Arlington cream has consistantly provided me with the closest and the most irritation free shaves. I have in my rotation three varieties of Taylors creams in the tub and three varieties of Trumper in the tub, but for me the Arlington just seems to be a cut above the rest. I would love to see QED and Classicshaving begin carrying the Harris line. These creams deserve to have more exposure to the American market.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Robert, et.al., Glad that you've discovered Harris's. I agree that it doesn't get the attention it deserves. I've tried to plug their products when I could, because I've always thought that they were excellent. If I could only choose one company to get all my grooming products from, it would have to be Trumpers, but Harris's would be a close second. Most of you know that I use almost nothing but Harris's Milk for aftershave these days, a most fine product, I think. Their shave creams are, IMO, second to none in quality, and like Trumpers, seem to be remarkably consistant in texture, tube or pot, year in and year out. John, give the Harris's Almond hard shave soap a try sometime. To me, it's one of the VERY few hard soaps that's the equal of the Floris. I'd be interested to hear if you agree. Regards, Gordon
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

Thanks for the recommendation, Gordon. Based on my great experience with Arlington and with Harris' Lavender Water, I'll certainly try the Almond Hard soap.

Where do you buy your Harris products? I bought my Arlington and Lavender from the English Shaving Co., and everything went fine. Any other vendors you like for Harris? Many thanks and best, John.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, I buy most of my D R Harris's products in person, in NYC shops, when I visit. The prices at Pasteurs are actually better then any internet source that I know of. Mail ordering it, isn't so easy, because most places that I'm aware of have one or two products I use, but not others. I've gotten shave sticks from QED, and shave cream from Enchante, but even the English Shaving Company doesn't offer ( or at least, doesn't list ) the colognes like Traditional. If I had to mail order, I might go with knoxcigar.com, as they have most of the products, and their prices are fairly competitive. Regards, Gordon
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

Thanks, Gordon. I'll, of course, try them all (both D R Harris products and vendors), since I haven't yet been cured of my SCAD. (Is that the correct name?) Is the Traditional your favorite of their colognes? I don't recall seeing it in your Top Ten. Best, John.