OH MY GOD - WHAT HAPPENED??!

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
InjuryLaw

OH MY GOD - WHAT HAPPENED??!

Post by InjuryLaw »

The other day I posted that I had finally realized how good shaving can be - I had tried using samples of Proraso Green on half my face and Taylor's Almond on the other half and found that both provided an incredible shave.

So yesterday I went and bought a tube of Proraso Red (based on some other member's preferences and since I have sensitive skin). I have no idea what went wrong, but I had one of the worst, most painful shaves ever. If I didn't know better, I would say that I shaved with nothing but water. I did my usual prep and lathered up the Proraso (I had to apply it with my hand because my brush is on back-order) and I literally tore up my face and neck. My face is absolutely killing me. I'm applying Aloe80 repeatedly, but it really burns.

Obviously, I must have done something drastically wrong. Perhaps I didn't use enough of the Proraso, I don't know. But at this point I'm so discouraged that I'll probably just eturn the Proraso (yes, they let you do that at the store I bought it), and hope for the best with the Taylor's. Also, as recommended by several members, I have some of that Pacific Shave Oil coming this week - maybe that'll help.
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

I use Proraso red and green often and get great shaves with both. If I had to choose I'd take the red over the green. I think you must have done something wrong.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Re: OH MY GOD - WHAT HAPPENED??!

Post by guenron »

InjuryLaw wrote:The other day I posted that I had finally realized how good shaving can be - I had tried using samples of Proraso Green on half my face and Taylor's Almond on the other half and found that both provided an incredible shave.

So yesterday I went and bought a tube of Proraso Red (based on some other member's preferences and since I have sensitive skin). I have no idea what went wrong, but I had one of the worst, most painful shaves ever. If I didn't know better, I would say that I shaved with nothing but water. I did my usual prep and lathered up the Proraso (I had to apply it with my hand because my brush is on back-order) and I literally tore up my face and neck. My face is absolutely killing me. I'm applying Aloe80 repeatedly, but it really burns.

Obviously, I must have done something drastically wrong. Perhaps I didn't use enough of the Proraso, I don't know. But at this point I'm so discouraged that I'll probably just eturn the Proraso (yes, they let you do that at the store I bought it), and hope for the best with the Taylor's. Also, as recommended by several members, I have some of that Pacific Shave Oil coming this week - maybe that'll help.
Disclaimer: I am not an afficionado of Proraso in any of its multitudinous forms.

Isn't one of those Proraso forms a brushless and the other a brush required? Most who use either or both find these products to provide the highest levels of lubrication. Obviously, YMMV. :shock:
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
Salesgod

Post by Salesgod »

Sounds like more of a Razor driven problem than a creme problem. Did you use the same razor both days? Change any settings/blades?
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

IL: Something's definitely wrong. I always gotten smooth, soothing shaves with both types of Proraso (all three if you count the tub). There should have been plenty of lather. Did you create lather? Best, John.
InjuryLaw

Post by InjuryLaw »

I used the same Injector blade both times. Maybe I didn't use enough cream and/or create enough lather. I remember having a thin white layer of cream on my face before shaving.
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

IL: Schick Injector, fixed single blade, right? Shouldn't create the problem with the light, with-the-grain touch. I use it every morning, and it's gentle as can be. Lather should be pretty rich and thick with Proraso, though, not 'thin'. Maybe wait until your brush comes to work up good, thick lather on your face with a dab of the Proraso (or get a cheapo Surry at CVS). I've seen other members say good things about the drugstore Palmolive BRUSHLESS Shave cream (no brush required). Maybe good for you in the interim. Best, John. PS: Keep the Proraso - you'll like it.
growler

Post by growler »

I loved Proraso when I first tried it, but love it even more now that I have a decent brush. The lather I got when I slapped it right on my face with a bristle brush was okay. The lather I get now, with pure badger and a mug, is worlds better. I second the wait-for-your-brush statement.

Although I was also wondering how long you waited after doing the half-and-half experiment. If it was anything less than a day, you probably just shaved your face more often than it could take.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

IL, What did it feel like when you were actually shaving? Did you feel the razor dragging, skipping, or pulling? If so, then the lather was inadequate. I've not used them, but I gather that the Red does not lather as easily as the Green. If the razor felt fine while using it, smooth gliding cut, and all, then I'd tend to suspect a reaction to some ingrediant in the cream. I've had experiances where the shave itself felt fine, but my skin looked dreadful shortly thereafter, and sometimes didn't feel so great either. This was my skin telling me that there was something in the product that it did NOT like. Regards, Gordon
InjuryLaw

Post by InjuryLaw »

Well, I believe it may have something to do with inadequate lather because the razor did drag a bit. It wasn't a very smooth shave. Maybe I need to use more of the cream than I did. I used about an almond size dollop, but I may have needed more since I don't yet have a brush and it is much harder to lather with less cream by hand.
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

IL: I don't think you need a whole lot more cream; just try a good dab (almond-sized) with your new brush, some real hot water (hot pot), your lather bowl/mug/cup. Do some lather making on your face, too, so your beard gets it. Best, John.
InjuryLaw

Post by InjuryLaw »

In your experience, does the Tabac soap provide a better shave than the Proraso or Taylor's Almond? The reason I ask is that I've been using both of these, albeit without a brush since the one I want is not in stock at QED, with varying results.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

IL, STOP! You're working yourself into a tizzy about products. You have two main issues really: 1) this is all brand new to you, and it takes time to get the hang of using these traditional products optimally, and 2) you do NOT have a shaving brush ( well, I guess you do now, as you wisely got that small badger number, but you haven't had one until today ). There are VERY few shave products that are argueably as good as Taylor's Almond shave cream, and none that are significently better, so relax, and let's try and get this shaving brush thing down. You finally have a useable brush, and you read my response to your other post, and the other member's responses? Good. If you went and got a hot pot, that's fine, if not, that's not a problem either. It's the effective mixing of the shave cream with the water that's central. Take either Joel's picture essay on lathering, or the steps that I provided, follow the instructions closely, and see what happens. Don't expect to get it perfect right away, but if you follow either procedure carefully, it should go pretty well. You use an excellent razor ( I steered you right on that one, no? ), you now have a badger brush, and Taylors is as good as there is, so, you're all set. The rest is practice and patience. Regards, Gordon
InjuryLaw

Post by InjuryLaw »

Gordon:

I actually laughed when I read the part where you told me that I'm in a product tizzy. You don't know how right you are! My wife couldn't agree more. Now that I have all the right equipment, I'll just be patient until I get it right. Thanks again.

- Brad
InjuryLaw

Post by InjuryLaw »

SUCCESS!! After waiting three days for my face to heal, I attempted my first true brush-and-cream shave, hot pot and all. It was great!

The only problem was that it took a LONG time. Hopefully I will be able to streamline the process with more experience.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Brad,

Congratulations! Hopefully by now you have taken a deep breath and truly enjoyed the experience. I now rise 20 minutes earlier so that I don't have to rush my shave. No, it doesn't take that long, but I am enjoying the experience!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Brad, Congratulations. Now you see what we've been talking about, and what the experiance was that brought these forums into being in the first place. Gents can shave however they wish, but it was the traditional brush shave, that was at the heart of the original Wetshaver forum, and all the current shave forums flowed, ultimately, from that one. Works pretty good, no? Rather pleasant actually, is it not. I'm with Randy, it's worth taking a little more time, to appreciate the scents, the little skills involved, and the whole traditional ritual, that's been largely unchanged for at least a century ( much longer for those using straights ). How many private, 'masculine' moments do we get in a modern day, afterall? Take whatever time is necessary to do it right. You probably won't "streamline" it, you won't want to, and it's unwise. But, like anything else, you will be able to do it more smoothly and briskly, without so much conscious effort, when you've been doing it for awhile. Very glad that it went well, it's been a rather step by step process for you, to finally arrive at the traditional shave. Well done. Regards, Gordon
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

Brad: Happy to hear things are coming together for you. Relax; take your time and enjoy it. Best, John.
InjuryLaw

Post by InjuryLaw »

Thanks for all the support, gents. Gordon, John and you others have been most helpful, and patient with my constant questions.

Thanks again.