COATES, WHERE TO BUY

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
BrianKnestrick

COATES, WHERE TO BUY

Post by BrianKnestrick »

I have been shaving with a DE for about 6 months now, I scored one of the last Gillette 40's razors on E-Bay and some of those cheap 15 cent blades. Everything is going great save for the fact that I can't seem to find Coates anywhere. Where on gods green earth do you find it! I also am thinking about trading in my T&H brush and getting a Simpson "pure" brush as the bristles seem to lift the hairs better.

Best Regards,
-Brian
-Brian
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

Pasteur's on 63rd and lex is the only place I know that has it in the US.
"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal" - Oscar Wilde
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

I peered in through the window of A Certain Shop On Piccadilly (Maitlands, actually) the other night and they had but one tub of Coates left.

I think we have to wave goodbye to it, y'know.

Coates vanishing, Simpson's brushes having way more than their share of problems... I think an era is coming to an end.

:cry:
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, Michael is being unduly bleak, I think.....still, I can't deny that I am worried about whether the Coate's creams will return. I believe that any recent Simpson's GQ issues are temporary. Coate's has offered a really superlative range of traditional shaving creams, and their disappearance would be a major loss to wetshavers everywhere. Yes, Pasteur's in NYC still has a few pots left. Cambridge Chemists had a goodly supply of the Lime tubes as of last month; but only the Limes. And, I have one more source for the tubes, and no, I'm not sharing what it is. Sorry, but it has indeed come down to that. As Michael mentioned, it's become equally scarce in Britain. Maitlands was one of the premium sources for Coate's in London. I don't know if anyone has tried lately to get any directly from the company.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Every time I read a thread like this I get slightly depressed. Sheesh.

Chris
-=seth=-

Post by -=seth=- »

i was just trying to find there website, tried coates.co.uk, then coates.com, then a google search and no luck, does anybody know what it is
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

-=seth=- wrote:i was just trying to find there website, tried coates.co.uk, then coates.com, then a google search and no luck, does anybody know what it is
The line has been bought, apparently, by Simpson's Brushes. They claim to be working on some new packaging. Regardless of what's holding it up, they don't appear to be in a rush to get it back in production.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Seth, Coate's has been amalgamated with Simpsons for years. The website is www.a-simpson.co.uk However, the site is "being worked on", but there is a place to email them.
Regards,
Gordon
-=seth=-

Post by -=seth=- »

thanks for the link, i emailed them, I'll let you know if they get back to me
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

bernards66 wrote:Seth, Coate's has been amalgamated with Simpsons for years. The website is www.a-simpson.co.uk However, the site is "being worked on", but there is a place to email them.
Regards,
Gordon
Wow! All this time, I thought this was a recent thing. Even more unfortunate, IMO.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

-=seth=- wrote:thanks for the link, i emailed them, I'll let you know if they get back to me
I wouldn't hold your breath. :lol:
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Scott, Yeah, Coate's is an old upper crust English brush making firm, much older then Simpsons, actually. They made beautiful hair and shaving brushes since the mid-19th century. I think they became part of Simpsons around 1991, although I'm not certain of the exact date.
Regards,
Gordon
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

I have not chimed in for a while but just back up north from New York. As of yesterday morning Cambridge Chemists have about 5 tubes of the Limes left (after the 3 tubes I snagged of course) but no other offerings at all. It was nice to see a good range of soaps as I am getting into them more and more these days. A few tallow based Harris cakes and of course Trumpers but no single cakes of the T&H-only selling in the bowl right now. Scott had not arrived yet but NO, I mean NO, sign of the Harris Marlborough soap/cream yet. Pasteur's does have about 4 or 5 of the Mitchell's Wool Fat soaps at a price to match.

Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Good to hear from you, Max. So, Pasteurs has some of the Mitchell's soaps, eh? I must have missed those....or, they're a very new addition.
Regards,
Gordon