no more Coates

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
-=seth=-

no more Coates

Post by -=seth=- » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:27 am

Phoned Simpsons the owner of coates this morning and was told that was it for Coates, the line has been discontinued and wont be coming back, Simpsons are now concentrating only on their brushes

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:28 am

Lets pony up the funds, buy it from him and all be shareholders

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:48 am

Glad I didn't fall in love with THAT one then!

(anybody want to sell me a tub cheap?)
Richard

Mike R

Post by Mike R » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:08 am

rustyblade wrote:Glad I didn't fall in love with THAT one then!

(anybody want to sell me a tub cheap?)
Ditto.

Although I've heard it's better to have loved and lost . . .

Mike

mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:18 am

*sigh* #-o :cry:

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:20 am

Well, it isn't like we didn't see it coming.
Richard

Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:49 am

Co-ates Interruptus.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor

Bob

Post by Bob » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:09 am

This is indeed unfortunate. It would be interesting to get a "behind the scenes" look at how this happened. I wonder if the brush troubles were the straw that broke the camel's back.

Well, there are still plenty of excellent shave creams around. I'll take the money I would have spent on Coates and apply it toward some more D.R. Harris or Penhaligon's creams.
--Bob--

Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:15 am

Well, that does that I guess... I guess I will have to get used to Castle Forbes... Though I could buy enough to last me the rest of my life here in the city, but what fun would that be?

Shawn
"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal" - Oscar Wilde

Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:21 am

We can only speculate but I'd have to think that Simpsons is foremost a brushmaker, with expertise in that field, as opposed to men's toiletries in general. To my knowledge the Coates brand had been reduced to one category: shaving cream. Hard for them to compete with the extensive ranges of the 3T's who also maintain brick and mortar stores. I always thought Coates was a good product, but not any better than its competitors, so I won't really miss it.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:23 am

This is going to be a bad start to the week for Gordon.

If Gordon says it is good, it will be discontinued. :lol:
Richard

khari

Post by khari » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:52 am

Please Gordon, never comment on the DR Harris Arlington line. I like it too much! :)

DEF

Post by DEF » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:05 am

Sam wrote:Lets pony up the funds, buy it from him and all be shareholders
This is actually an idea worth exploring. If they're not going to produce, then maybe they'll sell off the IP rights to the formulations and branding. A quick call to Creighton's, and bada-bing; you're in business.

Doug

Ben

Post by Ben » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:12 am

I have two unused tubs of the dehydrated Coate's Tea Tree cream from Knox. I really like the stuff in its dry state. However, I have so many other excellent creams and soaps that I really won't cry in my beer over this.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:15 am

Well, getting the recipe is one step, putting it into production is a huge issue. The TM is worthless unless we want to resell. Who are we kidding, only we will buy it... It's the product we care about, so we should try to buy the rights to the formula and then get a third party, e.g. SCS or the like, to make it for us...
"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal" - Oscar Wilde

-=seth=-

Post by -=seth=- » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:26 am

I've never actually tried it, does anybody know anywhere in London wich still has some in stock, or perhaps a website selling it
If they're not going to produce, then maybe they'll sell off the IP rights to the formulations and branding
the idea did cross my mind
putting it into production is a huge issue
i'm in contact with 2 factories in the UK alone who could produce it, legal side of labeling, dept of trade and industry issues could all be for as little as £200, unbelieveable but true

its certainly possible to get it off the ground but you have to wonder why did they stop producing it, is there a big enough market for it
Last edited by -=seth=- on Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScottS

Post by ScottS » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:32 am

DEF wrote: This is actually an idea worth exploring. If they're not going to produce, then maybe they'll sell off the IP rights to the formulations and branding. A quick call to Creighton's, and bada-bing; you're in business.

Doug
It's probably a much bigger deal than this. If it was just a matter of handing the formulation to Creighton's (where it's already made, FAIK) and letting the proceeds roll in, why would Simpson's drop it in the first place? Even if it were break-even for Simpson's, they'd probably keep it going to avoid any bad will, or to keep the good will. I'd assume that the biz needed an infusion of cash, and that just didn't get along with Simpson's business plan, or maybe the cash flow situation.

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:54 am

Creighton's probably has a minimum quantity order that put the final nail in the coffin.
Richard

Lyrt

Post by Lyrt » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:47 am

By the way, a question that hasn’t been answered: it is well established Creighton’s makes the creams, but who manufactures the soaps?

DavidB

Post by DavidB » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:48 am

Ah... bummer. Coates Lavender was probably my all-time favorite shave cream. Time to find a new one!

Dave