Tub -v- Tube: Differences?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
growler

Tub -v- Tube: Differences?

Post by growler »

I've bought about four different creams, but all in tubes. Is there any difference at all when you get the cream in a tub? If so, what?

Mainly, I'm curious about the experience itself. Does one still use a lathering bowl/mug? Scents stronger or weaker? Anything else?
xkvamme

Post by xkvamme »

I have some Taylor violet cream in a tub and a tube. My experience has been the tube lather is not as good as the tub with the same amount of lather. I can still get great lather from the tube but with a little more cream.

I use mugs with both and find that the strength of the scents don't really differ. However, this is just my experience with just one cream.

Alexander
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

growler, A somewhat complicated and controversial subject. The main differences that I've noted have had to do with the texture, but this, in turn, somewhat effects the qualities of the lather. And, just to obfuscate the issue, it isn't consistant or entirely predictable. In general, Coate's, T&H, and Taylor's creams are all seem lighter weight, more whipped, not as dense, in the tubes as oppossed to in the pots. The T&H creams are especially weird in that some pots are very dense like the potted Taylors, some a light and creamy like in the tubes. Usually though, with these three brands, the tube cream is lighter weight, and hence, it takes a bit more to make optimal lather, and, IMO, the lather isn't quite as rich or lubricating. Trumpers and Harris's creams seem more consistant texture wise, there not being much difference, in my experiance, between the potted creams and the tubes. Taylors, also, has it's little oddities. Although I've not seen them, I gather that there are metal tubes of Taylors, and these, apparently, hold cream as rich and dense as the pots, almost. All the Taylor cream that I've used, however, has been markedly lighter and more whipped then in the pots. Good luck, at least you can check your creams out before you purchase them, unlike the internet crowd. Regards, Gordon
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

I've always been a tub over tube guy. Its more of a form over function thing for me. I like being able to dip the brush into the cream to gauge the amount needed as opposed to squeezing some out. Shave quality wise I have yet to see a difference.