tea tree - coates alternatives

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
daveshaves

tea tree - coates alternatives

Post by daveshaves »

I arrived in the traditional shaving world at the very end of Coates' existence, so I never had a chance to try the Tea tree formulation that everyone raves about. Are their any other tea tree shaving soaps or creams worth trying? Should we try to lobby one of the Sues to make a version?

Dave
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Dave, The Shaving Gallery's Tea Tree & Lime is a great cream made by Creightons for a Trumper veteran with a healthy ingredient list.

Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dave, Coate's Tea Tree is/was a unique shaving cream. No other comparable brand offers one. The cream that Max named is probably about as close as you can come, but it's not the same. It's not like with, say, Rose creams, where the erstwhile Coate's user can now say, " ah, nuts!....well, I can always use Trumpers Rose, it's very similiar....". With the Tea Tree, there is no comparable product from someone else. It's up to you who you ask about doing whatever, but, FWIW it do not believe that it's possible to make a cream like the Creighton products, without a hell of a lot of expertise and some serious and expensive equipement.
Regards,
Gordon
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Dave, Gordon is right in the Coates was a unique product. TSG tea tree/limes smells not of tea tree or limes, more of a citrus scent actually. In fact I think the tea tree is used as a preservative in this cream.

Max
lovetoshave

Post by lovetoshave »

After reading this post:
http://shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14811

It seems you may want to avoid the tea tree anyway...
koeos

Post by koeos »

Well at least if you are a pre-pubescent boy :-)

Toronto Star wire story:

Feb 01, 2007 04:30 AM

BOSTON–Lavender and tea tree oils found in some shampoos, soaps and lotions can leave boys temporarily with enlarged breasts in rare cases, apparently by disrupting their hormonal balance, a preliminary study suggests.

Several hormone experts emphasized the problem appears to happen infrequently and clears up when the oils are no longer used. None of those interviewed called for a ban on sales.

The study reported on the condition, gynecomastia, in three boys, age 4, 7 and 10. All went back to normal when they stopped using skin lotions, hair gel, shampoo or soap containing the natural oils.
lovetoshave

Post by lovetoshave »

Lol yeah, but I'm not sure I want extra estrogen even though I am in my 20's...
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Dave,

I have not used the Shaving Gallery product so I can't comment on it, but I do use other products with tree tree oil aside from the Coates shaving cream. To my nose, tea tree oil has a very distinct scent which is unmistakable in any product that contains it. Very herbal and medicinal. Are you looking for a shaving cream that smells of tea tree oil or one that performs like the Coates?

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor