"Woody" Cream Scents?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
water

"Woody" Cream Scents?

Post by water »

Hello everyone, I am new to wet shaving (as well as this board) but have fallen in love with it. I have been using T&H 1805 shave cream and am ready to venture into other scents. I have ordered Trafalgar but am looking to add a couple of others to my collection.

I really enjoy a more "woody" scent. Any recommendations? I know all of the English creams have a Sandalwood version... any particular recommendations?
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Well, if you like pine there is "Lightfoot's Pine Shaving Creme Soap" and Penhaligon's "Bleneheim Bouquet" shaivng cream. I really like Lightfoot's...inexpensive, yet good.
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

later this year castle forbes is coming out with a cedar that is all i know at this time.
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
water

Post by water »

Thanks guys. How would you rank the Sandalwoods? Is one better than the others?
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

water wrote:Thanks guys. How would you rank the Sandalwoods? Is one better than the others?
I prefer QED Sandalwood soap. Great stuff.
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

clownjuggles wrote:later this year castle forbes is coming out with a cedar that is all i know at this time.
Oh man, I can't wait. That would be AWESOME.
mark the shoeshine boy

Post by mark the shoeshine boy »

Now an old country boy like me would probably enjoy some real wood flavor....like hickory or mesquite....I thought long and hard on this before I posted...because I just probably came up with a million dollar idea....and I wouldn't want one of these companies stealing my ideas....

I bet I could go into the tavern with that fresh smell of hickory cologne and the women would go nuts over me....I'd show'em my truck and a picture of my double wide with the satelitte dish on top...they would be smitten....

Why hickory is the natural afro-de-she-act for country girls...when they smell hickory, it turns them on becasue they don't have to cook....

Mesquite is for Sundays. It is a more formal scent....when you meet the parents....

anyone agree on this ???

mark theshoeshineboy
SHAVE AND A HAIRCUT...WAIT A SECOND WHAT ABOUT A SHOESHINE, TOO ????
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

mark the shoeshine boy wrote:
Mesquite is for Sundays. It is a more formal scent....when you meet the parents....

anyone agree on this ???
I agree. It is the proper scent to wear when preparing to be grilled by the parents...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Water, Sounds like you'd probably love the original Arran Aromatics Vetiver cream, unfortunately, it's not available, although there was some floating around last year. I think that all the sandalwood creams from the top shelf traditional firms are very nice. Coate's and Trumpers I thought were especially emphatic. Taylor's Sandalwood is a little different, as it is scented with their cologne by that name, and hence, it's less of a straight sandalwood scent. It is, however, quite aromatic, and the sandalwood and cedarwood notes are predominant, IMO. Other things aside, I think that personally, of the traditional sandalwood creams, I like the Coate's best. Regards, Gordon
water

Post by water »

Thanks for your reply Gordon. Unfortunately, it appears that QED is presently sold out of Coates cream.

I tried to find the QED Sandalwood on the site but have not had much luck. Does anyone have a direct link?
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Water,

The QED soaps are not on the webpage. You have to email or call Charles and let him know you want order some, or you could use the private message system here to do that. As for the Coate's Creams try this site:

http://www.leesrazors.com/Soaps.html

I have never ordered from LEE'S personally, but I've heard nothing but good things about his business...

Chris

BTW, Welcome aboard!
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

water wrote:Thanks for your reply Gordon. Unfortunately, it appears that QED is presently sold out of Coates cream.

I tried to find the QED Sandalwood on the site but have not had much luck. Does anyone have a direct link?
Greetings water,
Charles (QED), it seems, has this thing about the web site. Actually I believe he enjoys corresponding with his customers.
So, DO NOT believe that he is out of anything unless he advises that he is, whether by email. qed@quod.com, or by phone
Charles wrote:... (401) 433-4045, but this should be used as a last resort to avoid unnecessary toll calls
Randy Taylor also found Coates creams on sale :D at

http://tinyurl.com/84btw
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
sean mac

Post by sean mac »

Ron,

I think that you are right about Charles. He claims that he is simply too busy to update his website (I'm sure he is very busy). However, like you, I think your thesis that Charles simply likes to have conversations with customers is probably correct. Has anyone called Charles and had a conversation that lasted for less than 45 minutes?

Charles is a delight to do business with. Water, give him a call. You will learn a lot about shaving, and have a great conversation.
Produce great people, the rest follows.
- Elbert Hubbard
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Water-
If you like sandalwood there are several nice ones out there, all of the 3 "T"s make one I believe, as well as Crabtree & Evelyn which I like. I also add my name to the support for the QED sandalwood soap. Good stuff.
That said,
for a real woodsy smelling cream, I find it hard to beat the KissMyFace "virgin forest" shave cream. It produces an excellent lather, at an excellent price (I have a huge pump bottle of it and it cost me 5 bucks), and smells just like a pine forest. It is so woodsy you might even find yourself checking to make sure there's no tree sap or pine needles on you before you finish shaving.....
and if Castle Forbes is coming out with a cedar cream, it WILL be added to my must have list. I have their limes and LOVE it.
John P
JoeDizzy

Post by JoeDizzy »

Sean, I agree, Charles is full of shaving knowledge. I'll have you know that my conversation with him went by in a mere 38 minutes :D I, too, think he enjoys the interaction with his customers. He can better cater to their specific wishes that way. Though it would be nice to have all of his products listed on the site and are inventory updated("in stock" or "on hand" listing). As I have said before, I assume he has good reason for not doing this.
Joey