unsafe soap/cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

unsafe soap/cream

Post by salbev »

i have read that some soaps/creams can discolor a finest/silvertip brush...which soaps and creams are to be avoided when using a finest/silvertip brush?

thank you very much.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Re: unsafe soap/cream

Post by rustyblade »

salbev wrote:i have read that some soaps/creams can discolor a finest/silvertip brush...which soaps and creams are to be avoided when using a finest/silvertip brush?

thank you very much.
I don't think soaps should worry you very much. Even soaps such as Trumpers are not intensely coloured like creams can be. As for creams, anything with strong colouring. All the roses, lavenders, etc. I probably wouldn't worry about the lighter coloured sandalwoods though.
Last edited by rustyblade on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

And I don't worry about staining a brush as I use it. And I know I use it. I am not interested in resale value. If I use it enough that the brush gets a stain, then I guess it's a good brush...

Shawn
"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal" - Oscar Wilde
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

When you have a cream with strong dye in it, you'll know.
I had a Taylor's lavender that was so purple, it gave purple lather.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have not had a problem with Taylors Rose or Trumper Violet but men like Squire and Gordon have noticed it. Since Gordon and Squire have been at it longer than I, I'm gonna take their advice to the bank. I do not use colored creams other than Coates Sandalwood (with a light ecru color at that ) and Trumper Sandalwood soap with my Rooney Finest brushes.

Sam
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Sam wrote:I have not had a problem with Taylors Rose or Trumper Violet but men like Squire and Gordon have noticed it. Since Gordon and Squire have been at it longer than I, I'm gonna take their advice to the bank. I do not use colored creams other than Coates Sandalwood (with a light ecru color at that ) and Trumper Sandalwood soap with my Rooney Finest brushes.

Sam
That's about where I draw the line, too. I plan to baby my sabrooney finest and keep it as long as possible, so I'm trying to start out right. Plus - it was an excuse to buy the SMFIII.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Mama Bear

Post by Mama Bear »

The only time you should have an issue with this is when colorants or dyes are added to the shave cream. Shaving cream requires that the ingredients are listed to (unlike soap which doesn't require this) and you can always look towards then end of your list of ingredients for Red #2 or other things like this.

For a shaving cream to actually have purple lather, there had to be a huge excess of coloring in it.. that is horrible!
Sue (Mama Bear)
www.bear-haven.com
Troy

Re: unsafe soap/cream

Post by Troy »

salbev wrote:i have read that some soaps/creams can discolor a finest/silvertip brush...which soaps and creams are to be avoided when using a finest/silvertip brush?

thank you very much.
The strongest dyed cream I've come across is D. R. Harris lavender. However, any discoloration that I've seen when using it usually disappears within a shave or two with other creams. Of course, I'm using a brush with badger hair a level down from the Finest/Manchurian/HMW level.

I suppose if you used the Harris Lavender cream every day that there could be some permanent discoloration. This cream only makes it into my "rotation" about once every two to three weeks, so I can't really comment on the effect of extensive back-to-back usage.

-Troy
The difference between theory and reality is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality, but in reality, there is.
--Anonymous
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Every time I use a strongly colored cream, my brush shows it. It usually comes out after a couple of shaves with uncolored creams, although it is possible there is still a trace amount of the color remaining that isn't noticeable, but still effects how the brush looks. I used to worry about it, but I don't anymore. I use the Plisson HMW and Simpson Super grades because of their physical properties, and I will use those brushes until they die. While I like the look, I've stopped worrying if they continue to look pristine, as they still look "good enough." But, if you want to keep your brush looking tip-top, avoiding heavily dyed creams is a good idea. The only three staining creams I've personally experienced have been Harris lavender, Trumper rose, and Trumper violet. All three of these are very intensely colored, and all three leave a perceptible hue in my brushes. Still, that doesn't stop me from using them - except for the violet, which I don't use because I don't like the smell, not because of the color.

~ Nathan
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Trumper Rose stains my brushes, but, like Nathan said, it comes out after a few shaves with some of my soaps. I wouldn't worry about it.
Horse Shaver

Post by Horse Shaver »

Yep, Trumper's Violets and Taylor's Rose creams both will add a slight tinge of color to the white tips but after a shave or two of something else the coloration is gone. I don't sweat it in the least. I shave with all my Brushes...Finest, Super, Manchurian--you name it.
Jeff

I'm just here for the free beer!
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Horse Shaver wrote:I shave with all my Brushes...Finest, Super, Manchurian--you name it.
Funny you should mention Manchurian. The one brush I won't use with any colored cream is my CH3 Manchurian, because I am trying to keep it pristine. I seems to me it's a pretty rare brush, and it's the only brush where I care more about it's "cachet" than its utility. Otherwise, like you, I don't coddle my brushes, and I don't worry about them; that goes for the HMW, too.

~ Nathan