Kiss My Face Moisture Shave...

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Poetami

Kiss My Face Moisture Shave...

Post by Poetami »

How much of the cream should be used when lathering in a bowl? I've been using the fragrance-free version off and on for a few months now and still have trouble getting it to maintain its consistency on my face. Any and all recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
" Demons chant, demons roar as they burrow down to the depths of our hearts/ For it is the soul of us all where the battle truly starts..."
- ME
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I use three pumps from the old square bottles, or six from the new rounded ones. Just a drizzle of water and work it up on my face, dabbing the tip of the brush in hot water as needed. It doesn't take a lot of water in my experience, to spoil the thick protective lather I prefer. KMF responds very well to priming the brush with soap too.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Poetami

Post by Poetami »

drmoss,

When you say " drizzle of water " , do you mean about a nickel sized splash in the bowl? Or is a little more necessary? The lather seems to dry up too quickly on my face and won't provide the lubrication I'm sure this product is capable of producing.
" Demons chant, demons roar as they burrow down to the depths of our hearts/ For it is the soul of us all where the battle truly starts..."
- ME
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If it dries before you can finish a pass, it means either adding more water, or if that makes it too runny, shaving faster (!) or relathering the remaining parts. I find in the winter the hot air vent to my right in the bathroom will make the lather dry on my chin and right upper lip just as I get there. No shame in relathering.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
crawlingchaos

Post by crawlingchaos »

I just picked up the unscented KMF, and have shaved with it twice. I did not get the pump bottle, but I would say about a nickel sized squirt makes plenty of lather for my three passes. I use Proraso's boar brush. I soak the brush, and shake out much of the excess water, and the lather quality has been nice and thick both times, and I've had two really smooth shaves, barring razor technique. The first time I used a bit more cream, and ended up adding two drops of water, the second time a little less and just using what came with the brush. Of course, it's a pretty hefty brush. Thick, protective, lubricating, and in no danger of drying out. I always give it a couple swirls in the bowl between applications, just to make sure it's consistent.
What neither political party has ever learned is the most basic of all lessons: When you make someone else's character the issue, your own character becomes the issue too.
-David Gerrold
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

crawlingchaos wrote:I just picked up the unscented KMF, and have shaved with it twice. I did not get the pump bottle, but I would say about a nickel sized squirt makes plenty of lather for my three passes. I use Proraso's boar brush. I soak the brush, and shake out much of the excess water, and the lather quality has been nice and thick both times, and I've had two really smooth shaves, barring razor technique. The first time I used a bit more cream, and ended up adding two drops of water, the second time a little less and just using what came with the brush. Of course, it's a pretty hefty brush. Thick, protective, lubricating, and in no danger of drying out. I always give it a couple swirls in the bowl between applications, just to make sure it's consistent.
Anyone here prefer a boar brush with this cream instead of a badger? I know some prefer boar for soaps or other creams to their badgers for scrubbiness or what not. I too just tried this cream for the first time today and had to decide on boar or badger. Today i used the badger, but in the morning I might try the boar.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Steve

Post by Steve »

I have a tube of KMF Patchoulie. I sqeeze the tube 3 times lightly and allow it to drop into the mug. I would say I get an amount of cream just slightly more in volume than what I would use if it was Taylor's, C&E, etc.

I get plenty of lather and it has never dried on me. I use a Simpon's Chubby #3 brush and use slightly less water than I would normally use.

Steve
lovetoshave

Post by lovetoshave »

Would you guys say the KMF creams compare favorably to the 3T's or is there a distinct difference in quality?

Thanks!
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

lovetoshave wrote:Would you guys say the KMF creams compare favorably to the 3T's or is there a distinct difference in quality?

Thanks!
Distinct difference, but OK shave. If Palmolive is truly discontinuing their lathering shave, KMF might just be the best product you can just buy right off a store shelf.
PottyDoctor

Post by PottyDoctor »

KMF Lavender & Shea is probably my favorite cream that is available locally [Earthfare Grocery]. It is a 'Best Value' in my book. It makes a rich, thick, luxurious lather for me and makes for an irritation free shave. I sometimes use it in combination with other creams and soaps for a great 'Super Lather'.
Happy Shaving,

Ron

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. It's the way you deal with it that makes the difference!" -- Virginia Satir
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I really like KMF creams, especially the Patchouli and Vanilla Earth scents. It always gives me a very good shave.

As far as comparing it to premium creams, that's hard for me to do. I've had good shaves and not so good shaves with all of my creams. KMF is definitely good enough to warrant a spot in my rotation, alongside the Trumper, Taylor, Vulfix and Arko creams. It's a great value.

I use more KMF cream than I do the premium creams (Maybe 2X) and the same amount of water. It's always lathered easily for me.

Dave
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

I'll guesstimate that I use about a third more KMF (scented) than I use T&H/Coates/whatever. I start with a fairly dry brush (C&E/Jagger Best) and add ... oh, I dunno, maybe half a teaspoon of water? Maybe a little more. It varies, of course, depending on whether the squeeze from the tube was made by someone who was awake or not. :)

It's a nice shave. If KMF was all I could get, I'd be fine. It has a good price, it smells good, and the lather does its job. It's not as luxurious as the old-school British creams. But it works pretty well, at a fraction of their price.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
smithno

Post by smithno »

I keep an unscented KMF on the sink in easy reach to rescue soaps that I have a hard time lathering. I regularly mix KMF Key Lime cream with Pirates Cove Lime. The PC Lime has a wonderful scent and KMF gives it a boost that results in a very good lather and the lime scent lasts the whole shave. The PC Lime really doesn't need any help in the lathering dept. I just tried it one day and liked the combination!
Norm
PottyDoctor

Post by PottyDoctor »

smithno wrote:I keep an unscented KMF on the sink in easy reach to rescue soaps that I have a hard time lathering. I regularly mix KMF Key Lime cream with Pirates Cove Lime. The PC Lime has a wonderful scent and KMF gives it a boost that results in a very good lather and the lime scent lasts the whole shave. The PC Lime really doesn't need any help in the lathering dept. I just tried it one day and liked the combination!
I keep both the Unscented and the Lavender for the same purpose. Or to take a phrase from Emeril..."to kick it up a notch." I mix 'em with all manner of soaps and other creams. Super Lather! :D
Happy Shaving,

Ron

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. It's the way you deal with it that makes the difference!" -- Virginia Satir
Tryphon

Post by Tryphon »

On some days I prefer a boar brush with either cream or soap.
I just like the firmer massage that a good boar brush provides.
I have an Omega brush that I have been using for over 20 years!

nodaktim wrote:
crawlingchaos wrote:I just picked up the unscented KMF, and have shaved with it twice. I did not get the pump bottle, but I would say about a nickel sized squirt makes plenty of lather for my three passes. I use Proraso's boar brush. I soak the brush, and shake out much of the excess water, and the lather quality has been nice and thick both times, and I've had two really smooth shaves, barring razor technique. The first time I used a bit more cream, and ended up adding two drops of water, the second time a little less and just using what came with the brush. Of course, it's a pretty hefty brush. Thick, protective, lubricating, and in no danger of drying out. I always give it a couple swirls in the bowl between applications, just to make sure it's consistent.
Anyone here prefer a boar brush with this cream instead of a badger? I know some prefer boar for soaps or other creams to their badgers for scrubbiness or what not. I too just tried this cream for the first time today and had to decide on boar or badger. Today i used the badger, but in the morning I might try the boar.
Poetami

Post by Poetami »

I'd like to thank you all for the informative responses. I've been utilizing the various techniques and this has resulted in a distinct improvement.
- ME
davidctaylor

Post by davidctaylor »

I really like the lather it makes. However, I have the Key Lime scent and it might as well be UNscented. I can barely detect any scent whatsoever. Are the other scents stronger?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

They are all mildly scented, except for the Vanilla which seems to strong and sickly sweet to me. I like the patchouli and the peach, but best is my homemade violet KMF.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
PottyDoctor

Post by PottyDoctor »

drmoss_ca wrote:They are all mildly scented, except for the Vanilla which seems to strong and sickly sweet to me. I like the patchouli and the peach, but best is my homemade violet KMF.

Chris
KMF Violet? I must have missed that somewhere Dr. Moss. Is that a recipe you care to share?
Happy Shaving,

Ron

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Easy - I bought the unscented KMF and added some violet leaf EO, and a whole lot of pumps of L'Artisan Parfumeur Verte Violette. Delightful!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace