Truefitt & Hill Luxury Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
reggiano

Truefitt & Hill Luxury Soap

Post by reggiano »

Can someone please explain to me why this soap is so amazing? I have Wool Fat, Knize Ten, Pre de Provence, plus various vintage soaps, and while they are all really, really good, the T & H just has it all. I think the fact that I understand how to later soaps has helped, but this stuff just gives the best shaves bar none. Why am I using anything else????

(I know, I know. Disregard last question. But you know what I mean.)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Reg, Well, I don't know. Personally, I don't necessarily find the T&H shave soap to be markedly 'better' then some of the other top shelf English soaps, per se. I think that the Trumper, Harris's, and Penhaligon soaps are it's equal, for example. Which is to say that they're all excellent, of course. There are some things about the T&H product that are especially appealling to me personally, however. It's white, which I prefer. It costs noticeably less then others that are as good ( at least it does in the US ). It has a nice classic scent, but subtle, which doesn't linger or clash with colognes. And, it does not contain any ingrediants that are problematic for me, like lanolin or a lot of shea butter. If I could only have, say, three hard shave soaps, the T&H Luxury soap would be one of them, definately.
Regards,
Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Yes, great soap (I used it today), another one of those "if I only had one soap soaps."

We are certainly spoiled for choice.
Richard
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Reggiano, I agree.

I have several soaps that I really like (including Mitchell's Wool Fat), but the Truefitt & Hill Luxury Shaving Soap is my favorite. I could get by very nicely with this soap alone.

I'm allergic to a lot of scents, so I look for unscented or lightly scented shaving products that won't hit my olfactory like bug spray :x I was a little worried about the scent of this soap when I first got it, but it has turned out to be pleasant without being aggressive.

- Murray
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

It's sneaky, for sure. It doesn't seem to excel in any particular area. I have many creams and soaps that smell better, but there's no way I could shave with even the best-smelling rose, almond, or cologne-scented soaps/creams, but I could live with the T&H soap smell every day.
godsantagonist

Post by godsantagonist »

i just tried this for the first time yesterday. i need to work on my soap lather. otherwise, great soap. nothing to compare to though. i've used creams otherwise.
Birth School Work Death
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I tend to forget I have the T&H soap, perhaps because it's in a Tupperware container, and so not in the stack with everything else. Anyway - each time I remember it and use it again it is pleasantly surprising.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic