Castle Forbes

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Castle Forbes

Post by qed-usa »

Funny, Vince, but as I recall, the initial reactions to Castle Forbe's shaving creams were on the negative side. I believe the major complaint being the creams were too thick. To be honest, I was surprised by this reaction because I thought the creams to be particularly outstanding. But, being a retailer, I tend to stay out of quality judgments. Now there seems to be nothing but praise for the creams which I have to admit I think they deserve (OK, that's a quality judgment). Of course, I believe all the English creams are good and something from every range should be in a gent's toiletry locker. Variety is fun. Regards, Charles QED
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Charles,

I can't even begin to think how or why the creme being think would be an issue. Heavy cream is my prefered way to go. Castle Forbes at this point in time is the top of cremes in my opinion. Supremely gentle and hold lather like you would not believe! Top fo the line!

Peter
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

I also think that maybe the people were using too much of the creme to obtain their lather since the CF creme requires a minimum of muss and fuss in my experiance.

Peter
Last edited by clownjuggles on Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Hi Charles--

Just guessing, but I bet the initial gripes about CF being too thick were because they weren't hydrated completely. As someone on Wetshavers mentioned a while back, CF needs a "torture session" for its lather to come into its own. Now I "beat up on" CF (and Coates) a lot longer than the other creams I have, and I'm rewarded with a much better lather and shave.

--Mark
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

CF Shave Creams

Post by qed-usa »

Mark -

I suspect you're correct. For me, I was knocked over by the intensity of the fragrances. "Intensity" is not a bad thing if it comes from quality essential oils and not synthetic fragrances. In addition, I like the thicker consistency, and the thicker lather. It's just more options for guys, and this is grand.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D