Palmolive Lather Shaving Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jgeesen

Palmolive Lather Shaving Cream

Post by jgeesen »

I just picked up a tube of Palmolive @ CVS today - $.81 after tax - on clearance!
Damn - This stuff does not have an aroma/scent it is more like an odor - I can't even start to place it :shock:
Is there any chance I got a funky tube?
I also picked up some Lumene AS balm for under $3 :D
I doubt I'll use the Palmolive, but I'll probably go back and get the rest at that price to add in with some razors I'm sure I'll be selling. ebay RAD and wanting to try a variety.
I've yet to use the the Lumene, but from doing searches it seems to rate at least as good as the Nivea balm. I'll definitely be clearing the shelf of that - I'll probably hit all the CVSs in town at that price.
John
The older you get...the more you find out... the less you know.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Palmolive Lather Shaving Cream

Post by drmoss_ca »

jgeesen wrote:Damn - This stuff does not have an aroma/scent it is more like an odor - I can't even start to place it :shock:
I think you just described the way it is supposed to smell!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ScottS

Re: Palmolive Lather Shaving Cream

Post by ScottS »

jgeesen wrote:I just picked up a tube of Palmolive @ CVS today - $.81 after tax - on clearance!
Damn - This stuff does not have an aroma/scent it is more like an odor - I can't even start to place it :shock:
I also picked up some Lumene AS balm for under $3 :D
I doubt I'll use the Palmolive, but I'll probably go back and get the rest at that price to add in with some razors I'm sure I'll be selling. ebay RAD and wanting to try a variety.
I've yet to use the the Lumene, but from doing searches it seems to rate at least as good as the Nivea balm. I'll definitely be clearing the shelf of that - I'll probably hit all the CVSs in town at that price.
John
Stick with it. After a while, Pavlovian classical conditioning will cause you to associate the scent with a trouble free fantastic shave, and it will make you salivate, and your arm will start involuntarily twitching as if mixing up a lather.
prism

Post by prism »

Scott is right, use the Palmolive! I did't like the odor either, and I was surprised at the light charteuse color, but the lather and shave was superb!
CharlottesvilleWetShaver

Post by CharlottesvilleWetShaver »

I've been using Palmolive for about a month now and have gotten used to the odor. It's a wonderful, affordable cream that is giving me good shaves. A nice Palmolive shave, followed up with some Masters Bay Rum and Clubman styling gel.... a nice, nostalgic feel.
My name is Zach. Pleased to meet you.
jgeesen

Post by jgeesen »

I have no doubt the lather gives a great shave. Butt... The odor is WAY past "I don't care for the scent" !! I'm, by no way, a scent snob - far from it. I can still smell it on my hands after wasning them with soap and water - I have turds that have a more pleasant bouquet. Although, it is slightly more pleasant than a new wet Proraso/Omega boar brush! OMG That was a project that shtank up the bathroom for a couple days! It was worth the effort because I wound up with a great brush :D thanx to all the input from this board.
slcsteve

Post by slcsteve »

jgeesen wrote:I have no doubt the lather gives a great shave. Butt... The odor is WAY past "I don't care for the scent" !! I'm, by no way, a scent snob - far from it. I can still smell it on my hands after wasning them with soap and water - I have turds that have a more pleasant bouquet. Although, it is slightly more pleasant than a new wet Proraso/Omega boar brush! OMG That was a project that shtank up the bathroom for a couple days! It was worth the effort because I wound up with a great brush :D thanx to all the input from this board.

Turd scented shaving cream. I never would have thought of that. Does it provide you with a good shave?
Steve

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europe vincendarum
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

slcsteve wrote:
jgeesen wrote:I have no doubt the lather gives a great shave. Butt... The odor is WAY past "I don't care for the scent" !! I'm, by no way, a scent snob - far from it. I can still smell it on my hands after wasning them with soap and water - I have turds that have a more pleasant bouquet. Although, it is slightly more pleasant than a new wet Proraso/Omega boar brush! OMG That was a project that shtank up the bathroom for a couple days! It was worth the effort because I wound up with a great brush :D thanx to all the input from this board.

Turd scented shaving cream. I never would have thought of that. Does it provide you with a good shave?
*watches with fascination as the thread teeters on the brink of spinning wildly out of control* :mrgreen:
~Greg
jgeesen

Post by jgeesen »

I'll never know. Too many other options - like growing a Grizzly Adams or a ZZ Top beard :lol:
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

slcsteve wrote: Turd scented shaving cream. I never would have thought of that. Does it provide you with a good shave?
Fifty cents says Sam buys it and trades it away a week later :wink:
slcsteve

Post by slcsteve »

ScottS wrote:
slcsteve wrote: Turd scented shaving cream. I never would have thought of that. Does it provide you with a good shave?
Fifty cents says Sam buys it and trades it away a week later :wink:
I put the odds at 50/50. :lol:
Steve

slcsteve

Post by slcsteve »

Scrapyard Ape wrote:*watches with fascination as the thread teeters on the brink of spinning wildly out of control* :mrgreen:
Not there yet but one can only hope. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve

Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

So... has anyone contacted Trumper or Taylors with this bold new fragrance idea? Also, "turd" is a bit to crass and uninspired to used as a name. How about "Bowel Ejecta" instead?

Yes, I know. I'm going straight to hell. :oops:
~Greg
yoyology
Captain Yo

Post by yoyology »

Scrapyard Ape wrote:So... has anyone contacted Trumper or Taylors with this bold new fragrance idea? Also, "turd" is a bit to crass and uninspired to used as a name. How about "Bowel Ejecta" instead?
For maximum in-joke potential, I suggest calling it "Swirlydoo".

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... 300#119300
Karl G. Siewert
Librarian and yo-yo enthusiast
Tulsa, OK

"Someday I'll find it, the BBS Connection, the razor, the stubble, and me."
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

You guys are hystercial...

~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

nodaktim wrote:You guys are hystercial...

Fine, fine... just as long as I get a 5% cut of the profits from the sale of Swirlydoo scented cream.

Don't double cross me guys, or I'll take the idea to Gillette. :twisted: :P
~Greg
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

And finish off with my favourite Mexican aftershave 'El Sterco del Toro'.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Sounds like a solid plan, Doctor. Can you recommend a good breath mint too? :mrgreen:
~Greg
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

OMG this thread had me laughing out loud. I guess I needed some levity on a Friday.

I know scent preferences change over the years. A few of the older Pinaud scents had me wondering "Who would have ever liked smelling this stuff?" And yet they must have sold well way back when.

I've gotten used to the Palmolive scent, and it is a pretty darned good performer, but I do wonder if a half century ago, anybody ever opened up a tube or tub of the stuff, took a whiff and said, "Yeah, baby!"... or whatever the phrase of the day was.

Anybody know any senior guys who used Palmolive way back when and actually preferred the scent?

Dave
z

Post by z »

DavidB wrote: I've gotten used to the Palmolive scent, and it is a pretty darned good performer, but I do wonder if a half century ago, anybody ever opened up a tube or tub of the stuff, took a whiff and said, "Yeah, baby!"... or whatever the phrase of the day was.
(Crackly recording noises)

(In a fast voice): "Hey chum, that there broad is a real dish! What's you're secret to meeting the ladies?"

"Why sir, I'm, quite keen on this dynamite new Palmolive shaving cream. It makes my face feel so smooth, and has that unmistakably masculine fragrance of a urinal cake that the classy dolls just love!"
Zach