Musgo Real - the (nearly) forgotten cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It is supposed to be thick, just like the old formulation of the three T's. I wash my face with soap, and let it soak in while I strop a razor and mix the cream (Musgo in this case) in my scuttle. Depending on how picky I'm feeling, or how pressed for time I might be, I might rinse my face and apply some more soap before using the brush and cream from the scuttle to build the lather on my face, or I might just go straight to the latter.
Try it each way and see what suits you.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Thanks DrMoss,

I tried it today and had pretty good results. Wondering, does the type of soap matter? I usually use Cetaphil facial cleanser to clean my face, so that's what I used when I soaped up again, just lathered some up and left it on my face while I prepped everything else. Had no problems using the Cetaphil and it helped work up the Musgo some but wondering if there might be soaps with certain ingredients to look for or avoid, thinking some might have ingredients that hinder rather than help the lathering/slickness factor, or if any soap would be fine.

Thanks again for any advice, I'll definitely be using the Musgo more in the future,
Rob

Edit: more specifically I use the Cetaphil Facial Cleanser, not their other 'soap' products, so that's what I'm referring to.
Rob
sebell

Post by sebell »

Cetaphil is not really a `soap', do I'm not sure
if it's accomplishing the same goal as leaving
some soap on your beard.

When I use Musgo Cream I like to use their
Lime Glyce Oil soap to start.

- Scott
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Thanks for the tip Scott, that's sort of why I'm asking, know the Cetaphil is not really 'soap' but wondering if it accomplishes same goal, and if not what am I looking for. I'm reading info on the Musgo Glyce soap, guess I'm still confused about what makes a 'face' soap vs a 'shave' soap. I see the Musgo Lime Glyce soap is not advertised as a shave soap, but folks use it for pre-shave and lather it anyway so what's the difference? Is it the fact that it contains glycerin that makes it useful for shaving, but maybe contains less glycerin than a true puck of shave soap?
Maybe if someone could point me to a primer of soap basics that might help if posted before elsewhere on here, all pretty new to me.

Thanks again.
Rob
sebell

Post by sebell »

Rob,

I'm not the man to provide any insight into
soap making, but the Glyce product is just
a regular washing soap as far as I can tell.
I don't think you would be able to make
any lather from it at all.

- Scott
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

After being underwhelmed by the Musgo cream, I put it on the back of the shelf for a few months. I got it out this morning and gave the face soap method a go. Instead of lathering my face, I lightly loaded my brush up with some Lever 2000 before adding the cream. Wow! What a difference. Fantastic shave and enjoyable at that. I was about to put the Musgo Real in the sale forum, but not any more.
Mike
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I have to say that this is potentially my favorite cream. I love the lather: great cushion, good slickness, and it does seem to moisturize my face. In fact, enjoying this lanolin-driven product was my chief motivation for getting some MWF, which I haven't started using yet (no point breaking into yet another soap for the rotation. I have too many as it is. However, I will try out the soap/Musgo combo, perhaps with some (U.S. version) Yardley bath soap.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Janus

Post by Janus »

Yes, the lather is first class, in my very limited experience equalled and perhaps surpassed only by Trumper's coconut. But the scent of this stuff is what has really got me hooked. The best smelling cream/soap I've tried. No contest.

Regards,

Janus
razorcat

Post by razorcat »

There shoud be a tube wating at the house this Monday, I'll have to break it open and put it to work as described here.

Eddie