An unscented shaving cream/gel/soap for sensitive skin?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
indoobidubly

An unscented shaving cream/gel/soap for sensitive skin?

Post by indoobidubly »

Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks.
crawlingchaos

Post by crawlingchaos »

Kiss My Face unscented.
What neither political party has ever learned is the most basic of all lessons: When you make someone else's character the issue, your own character becomes the issue too.
-David Gerrold
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF! Do you have a name we could address you with?

Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Shaving Cream is an outstanding unscented cream. It has no parabens or other preservatives in it (at least none of the usual culprits that I recognize), which is somewhat unusual.

- Murray
Goosemeplease

Post by Goosemeplease »

Indoob
Welcome
The Honeybee spa Unscented is a very good shave soap that is mild and does not irritate me. a good value also.

Believe it or not, the phrase "no scent added" means they have placed a product called NO SCENT into it. So be on the lookout for that, it could irritate your skin.
Jim
smoothshaver

Post by smoothshaver »

I try to avoid heavily scented creams. I've used Kiss My Face unscented, which is good; but I'm more impressed with The Art of Shaving unscented cream. To me it's on a par with the "3T's", and I find I use it much more often than the KMF.
-Ed
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Hey Indoo...,

What are you using now and why is it necessary for the shaving cream to be unscented? Just curious, because part of the joy of wet shaving with a brush is the pleasure derived from smelling the warm aromatic cream as it's brushed on the face.

Do you have a skin condition that prohibits using scented shaving cream. Because you can wash the residue off with normal Witch Hazel if the cream itself is a problem.

I think we need more info to better respond to you question.

Welcome to the forums by the way, we are glad to have you. :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Do you want unscented because you prefer it that way, or because of a medical problem with certain scents?
prism

Post by prism »

I have heard great things about Cremo-Cream. Go to http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/i ... 022028.htm
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

You may like to try a small quantitiy of unscented base shave creme. It's produced for those who resell it fragranced in their line. http://www.sudsandscents.com/Merchant2/ ... ving+Cream
Sue
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Art of Shaving Unscented cream is about as innocuous as you can get, and is probably the best cream available that is truly fragrance and scent free. It's a traditional English shaving cream base with zero color, fragrance, or other scenting agents (i.e., essential oil) added. T&H Ultimate Comfort is pretty good, too, but they do add a touch of lavender oil, which could prove irritating to some, albeit not for most. Cremo Cream is well regarded as a brushless cream, but it is definitely scented.

~ Nathan
Tryphon

Re: An unscented shaving cream/gel/soap for sensitive skin?

Post by Tryphon »

indoobidubly wrote:Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks.
At TRyphon we make the Cristallo soap, hypoallergenic, unscented and with no colorants.
Martin_TO

Post by Martin_TO »

I have very sensitive skin in the winter time and these work well for me: Kiss My Face Unscented; AOS Unscented; Florena; Arko and Taylor Hypoallergenic.

rgds

Martin
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

Martin,
That's good that you have found products that work for you and your skin type. It' difficult to find the proper items for sensitive skin as it is not 'one size fits all'.

Be careful of some 'unscented' products. They may have the fragrance of 'No Scent'. That is an additive that removes any smell.
Sue
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Sue wrote:Martin,
That's good that you have found products that work for you and your skin type. It' difficult to find the proper items for sensitive skin as it is not 'one size fits all'.

Be careful of some 'unscented' products. They may have the fragrance of 'No Scent'. That is an additive that removes any smell.
Sue

Sue, that's a good point. The words one really wants to see in this situation are "fragrance free." However, I can vouch that AOS Unscented cream is truly fragrance free.

~ Nathan
indoobidubly

Post by indoobidubly »

Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to get the Art of Shaving unscented cream in the tub.

I was just wondering if anyone knows the complete ingredients list for this cream? The Art of Shaving site doesn't list them but it says that this cream has essential oils in them. I'd like to know which ones if possible.

To answer a question asked, I don't like smells in ANY of my products. Heavy smells cause my nose to get clogged for some reason. Believe me I'd love to shave with a nice scent.

One more quick question: how are tub creams different from canned gels like Aveeno? Does one result in less irritation?

Thanks again!
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

I think this is a situation where "one label fits all." It's been a while since I've looked at AOS cream ingredients (Gordon and I were just having this very discussion, actually), but if I recall, all of their creams bear the same list, which includes essential oil. As far as my nose can tell, the unscented cream has no essential oils in it. The base itself has a "cream" smell to it, but there is no discernable scent characteristic to it other than the base itself. I would be very surprised if it had essential oil in it, although to be completely fair, I cannot say with 100% certainty that it does not. However, like you, I am very sensitive to fragrance, and I really can't smell anything, if that helps you at all. As for the ingredients themselves, until someone can come in here and post them verbatim from the label, go and read any "three Ts" cream ingredients, barring the color and fragrance, and that's essentially what you have in AOS.

~ Nathan
yeahbuddeh

Post by yeahbuddeh »

AOS unscented KEY ingredients. who knows what else is in there. And it does contain essential oils, i wonder why.

Key Ingredients: Water, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Essential Oils, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.
drumana

Post by drumana »

1) Institut Karite shave soap - some claim it has a scent. To me it is so mild that I consider it unscented. IK is a fantastic shave soap. I couldn't recommend it more...

2) Art of Shaving shave cream.
-Andrew-
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

I've used the QED Aloe and Glycerin (aka Unscented) shave stick. It has no scent that I can detect, not even a basic 'soap' scent. Smells like nothing, I forgot I even had it until I saw this thread and reminded me! Definitely innocuous, but works as good as their other soaps, which are good.
Rob
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

The AOS unscented cream lists essential oils because the ingredients list is their "stock" ingredients list for all their creams. The same applies to their shaving soap - the unscented has no essential oils but lists "essential oils" in the ingredients list because it's their "stock" list. I highly recommend their shaving soap, it's excellent. The Valobra shave stick is the same thing but in a stick form and therefore it's probably just as good though I believe there may be some fragrance in there so be careful.

Another soap that advertizes itself as good for sensitive skin is the Cella Crema Sapone. It's a malleable soap that's pretty light on fragrance. I'm thinking of revisiting this. Even though it's supposed to be for sensitive skin it burned me first time out. I'm thinking there just may be an adjustment time for the skin. One thing to note about the Cella is it lacks glycerin which some people are sensitive to. This is a big plus for those people (I am one).

I'll have to second Andrew's recommendation for the IK even though it also burned me first time out. Second and third uses were flawless. And even though he can barely detect a scent, I find the scent to be cloying and very strong. I have to use it as part of a rotation because of this.

I think the best place to start maybe the AOS unscented soap. Even though it's exspensive as all get out it's worth it. Go from there is the best I can advise and eventually you'll hit on something that is best for you. One other thing I recommend for people with sensitive skin such as myself is get a floppy soft brush like a Vulfix or Kent. This makes a world of difference for some of us.

Hope that helps.

Chris