Taylor's as a gift

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
alchemist

Taylor's as a gift

Post by alchemist »

Gents: I'd like t get my father a tub of Taylor's cream. He's "old school"; Vitalis, Old Spice.... Any suggestions for a classy and not overpowering scent?
Thanks, Mahesh
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Mr. Taylor's
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
alchemist

Post by alchemist »

Chris: Could you describe the scent? Thanks.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Mahesh, depending on his skin type you can go with Avacado for more sensitive skin or Shaving Shop for a more old fashion scent.
alchemist

Post by alchemist »

Thanks Austin: i remember really liking the clean scent of Shaving Shop, and i think it would work well for him.
Regards, Mahesh
alchemist

Post by alchemist »

Visited Pasteur's today in NYC; they do have a good selection at reasonable prices. The manager Tommy was very gracious and let me open and sniff all the Taylor's creams. I liked the Shave Shop and the Mr. Taylor's, but the moment i opened the St. James, i knew that was the one for my father. Purchased the Lemon Lime for my brother, and with its hint of lemongrass, he should enjoy it as he lives between Thailand and HK and enjoys that type of scent. Last but not least, i had to buy the Avacado for myself after all the praise i have read, and I will be looking forward to my Sunday shave.
I was not particularly enamored with the scent of Trumper's Violet, which seems to be a favorite with the gents on this board.
Thanks to all for the advice. When funds permit, i shall sample some Harris products. I have tried samples of Trumpers rose, coconut and sandalwood, and while they were good, Taylor's for me is just as good if not better. When i take the price difference into account, the choice for me is simple.
Regards,
Mahesh
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Good job Mahesh. St. James is a classic scent. I am sure your father and brother will enjoy their gifts.
alchemist

Post by alchemist »

Thanks Austin- took your advice with avocado for my sensitive skin.