Review: J. Press (Castle Forbes) Lavender Oil Shaving Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Barry

Review: J. Press (Castle Forbes) Lavender Oil Shaving Cream

Post by Barry »

Guys,

I received this as a gift from someone who knows that I like to try different shaving creams, etc. She picked it up at a J. Press store. If you haven't heard of J. Press it's kind of a traditional men's clothing store. I think they either opened up in Cambridge or New York. There are maybe 5 J. Press shops. The clothing is traditional and conservative. Right now they have nice summer poplin and seersucker suits as well as all sorts of other types of clothing. Nice stuff.

They've contracted out to Castle Forbes so they can have their own brand of lavender shaving cream. I'm guessing it's plain old Castle Forbes lavender cream. Let me tell you... this stuff is super, super dense. It's practically like peanut butter. I thought Taylor's and Trumper's were thick and dense untill I opened this jar. And the scent? It's incredible. I'm not a huge lavender fan but out of the 4-5 creams I own (ok, not that many) this is the strongest scented cream of all!

J. Press Lavender Oil Shaving Cream:

The Jar Opened (it's hard to tell just how thick this stuff is from the picture, but believe me, my Trumper's cream is so soft and fluffy compared to this dense cream):

A little dab in the bowl:

Multiple swirls resulted in a thick, rich and heavily scented lather. I only used it to touch up but it seems nice. I can still smell it.

This is a very dense and plush cream. The lather great, the scent is great and it whipped up quite easily with my SR-212.

Barry
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Very nice Barry. Give us a review after your first shave.
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

Barry,

I'm glad you like the cream! Castle Forbes Lavender is clearly my favorite cream. The smell is ineed Fantastic and the lubrication is out of this world!

I also see the J Press cream comes in the glass jars, I may have to find some.

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
Barry

Post by Barry »

razor_boy wrote:Barry,

I'm glad you like the cream! Castle Forbes Lavender is clearly my favorite cream. The smell is ineed Fantastic and the lubrication is out of this world!

I also see the J Press cream comes in the glass jars, I may have to find some.

Paul.
Paul,

They also sell the Verbena or Lime, I think.

Barry
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Barry, You were fortunate to get that shave cream, as it hasn't been offered for some time now. It is indeed Castle Forbes, in the original glass jars. J. Press had an arrangement with CF for a bit, but it did not 'work out' to their satisfaction, and so was discontinued some time last year. At one point, they were going to give me a jar free for any purchase over a certain amount. I'm still kicking myself for not taking them up on it, as I'm very partial to J. Press clothing anyway. Along with Brooks Brothers, J. Press pretty well created the classic American 'Ivy League' style, early in the 20th c. Their original shop is in New Haven, where for generations, they have supplied the sartorial needs of Yale students and facilty. Their other three stores are in Cambridge, NYC, and DC. They also had the lime shave cream, and the Castle Forbes special Lime Cologne was created for J. Press, and was only sold as CF, after the deal with that store ended. Enjoy. Regards, Gordon
Barry

Post by Barry »

bernards66 wrote:Barry, You were fortunate to get that shave cream, as it hasn't been offered for some time now. It is indeed Castle Forbes, in the original glass jars. J. Press had an arrangement with CF for a bit, but it did not 'work out' to their satisfaction, and so was discontinued some time last year. Regards, Gordon
Interesting story. I was at J. Press (DC) ain May picking up some trousers and a sports coat (I love J. Press). I didn't look for the cream though.

I should have mentioned that the lavender cream sat in an upstairs bathroom at my parents house for a long time. It's still in good shape though. It's too bad that it is no longer available.

Barry
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Barry, It is indeed. They charged $28 for a jar, and personally, I liked the look to the J. Press jars better then the actual CF ones. Today, the NYC store has mostly T&H and a smattering of D R Harris toiletries. What I wouldn't give for a store like J. Press here. Regards, Gordon