Monsavon

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Risky

Monsavon

Post by Risky »

Hello all. A while back (5 years?) while holidaying in France I purchased some Monsavon 'Bol A Raser'. I have just found the tub and had a go at making a lather.

Can someone tell me if this is shaving cream or soap? It seems like a hard cream.

The smell is out of this world...kind of medicinal.

James R
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

Everything I can find suggests it's a vream, but it almost looks like a soft soap. I may have to try and locate a tub or 12.

~Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
timc

Post by timc »

If it's a soft soap, I'm afraid we can't discuss it in the "Shaving Creams & Hard Soaps" forum. [-( :D

Maybe it is a cream that has become dehydrated?
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
Risky

Post by Risky »

timc: That is my guess. The bowl is too small for it to be a soap.

Wish I could describe the smell. So, so nice. Will shave with it tomorrow morning and let you know how it goes.
James R
jslfl

Post by jslfl »

Tye wrote:Everything I can find suggests it's a vream, but it almost looks like a soft soap. I may have to try and locate a tub or 12.

~Tye

............and a vream would be????????????
Steve/Bronco

Post by stanmog »

Looks and sounds a lot like the Proraso soap that comes in a similar sized and shaped green plastic container.

Regards,
Stan
Tryphon

Re: Monsavon

Post by Tryphon »

I have been buying Monsavon shave soap for over twenty years. Every time I am in France I buy a few bowls. The latest one I have is a mild soap that contains milk and has a lemon scent.
I have some older ones that look like yours: they used to have several different scents and were softer than the current one.
It costs about 2 Euros and is very good!
Risky wrote:Hello all. A while back (5 years?) while holidaying in France I purchased some Monsavon 'Bol A Raser'. I have just found the tub and had a go at making a lather.

Can someone tell me if this is shaving cream or soap? It seems like a hard cream.

The smell is out of this world...kind of medicinal.

Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

jslfl wrote:
Tye wrote:Everything I can find suggests it's a vream, but it almost looks like a soft soap. I may have to try and locate a tub or 12.

~Tye

............and a vream would be????????????
A 'vream' also known as 'Elite Vreamay. It's a shortening that makes a better cake and creates a smoother icing.

~Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Risky, I was unaware that Monsavon offered a shaving cream ( which that seems to be....or was ), but I do know that they offer a very inexpensive hard shave soap that is said to be very good. There is one US source that I'm aware of, but they charge something like $12 for a cake, and I'm not willing to pay that, knowing what I know about what it costs in France.
Regards,
Gordon
Risky

Post by Risky »

Ended up using Taylor's lavender today since I used REN High-Altitude Lavender in the shower.

I'll use the Monsavon tomorrow. Looking at it again, it's definitely a cream. Weird thing is, I don't remember it being any softer than it is now (unless it was dehydrated when I bought it).

The smell is indescribable. So nice.
James R