Oily residue after shaving

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Oily residue after shaving

Post by notthesharpest »

I have oily skin, and I notice that after shaving the cream (Proraso, for instance) leaves an oily film on my skin, even after thorough rinsing. What can I do to fix that? (Washing with soap after shaving can be irritating.)

David
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Swab your shave area with toner.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Thanks - I'll have to go find some. My dad shaved with an electric, so I didn't learn any of this stuff at the beginning.
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Inexpensive but Good

Post by guenron »

You might try some lavender or rose or lavender and rose hydrosol in an atomizer from QED. I too find with certain soaps that I get that greasy-oily feeling. I wash with hot then cold and then spraymy face and neck till dripping with the hydrosol of the day. Seems to work. 8)
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Thanks for the tips. I was lucky to find some Proraso "dopobarba" in a local store (water, alcohol, witch hazel, etc.), and applied that after my shave. It seems to have removed the oil residue pretty effectively, without causing me any dryness or irritation. I don't like the scent of it quite as much as the Proraso green-tube cream itself, but it's pretty good nonetheless.

I rinsed after using it - is that "correct procedure"?
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

David, after using a toner there is usually no need to rinse but if it works for you thats ok.
guenron

Post by guenron »

notthesharpest wrote:Thanks for the tips. I was lucky to find some Proraso "dopobarba" in a local store (water, alcohol, witch hazel, etc.), and applied that after my shave. It seems to have removed the oil residue pretty effectively, without causing me any dryness or irritation. I don't like the scent of it quite as much as the Proraso green-tube cream itself, but it's pretty good nonetheless.

I rinsed after using it - is that "correct procedure"?
I don't think rinsing that mixture off is incorrect, especially if you are not fond of the odor. I would want it off my face too! Being in the "somewhat more mature" (older) category, my skin does not produce as much oil as you younger lads. That's why I am careful not to use alcohol on my visage, as I do not need to dry it out any more. I really do not think you can make a mistake by ordering even a small QED hydrosol and using it. It is nondrying, it is pleasant smelling, and it is salubrious!
Regards,
Ron

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I don't doubt the salubriousness/salubriosity/salubriwhatever of a hydrosol, and I also am not necessarily in favour of putting alcohol all over my face, but I need something that will really remove the oil that this particular shaving cream leaves on my face - I'm oily enough as it is. :roll: Is a hydrosol suitable for removing oil?

Thanks
David
guenron

Believe it or not

Post by guenron »

notthesharpest wrote:I don't doubt the salubriousness/salubriosity/salubriwhatever of a hydrosol, and I also am not necessarily in favour of putting alcohol all over my face, but I need something that will really remove the oil that this particular shaving cream leaves on my face - I'm oily enough as it is. :roll: Is a hydrosol suitable for removing oil?

Thanks
David
That's why I suggested it. There is a little four-letter quip you will see some add to their recommendations, YMMV, i.e. Your mileage may vary! :) I use a warm/hot rinse, cold rinse, and then spray to drench my face. Any excess anything should be rinsed off. YMMV :)
Regards,
Ron

Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Very good points Chris Moss. I have noticed this with facial cleansers. I have oily skin and have used CO Bigelows Oily Skin facial wash. After a few hours my skin is back to being oily. On the other hand, if I use Baxters facial wash for normal skin it actually controls my oily skin better.

Point well taken.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Thanks all for the good discussion.

I will keep the oily word "salubricity" in my mental dictionary for the next time it's needed. :wink:

I liked the feeling of the little bit of extra oil at first, but by noon it no longer felt so salubricious, but more squoozly or even sleazy.

And the scent of Proraso toner is nice, just not as nice as the cream itself.

And most thanks to Chris for the pointer to how a system in equilibrium reacts to a change. I kind of knew this, because I do have to avoid strong soaps etc on my face, and my original question was about how to get this extra oil off without soap. So... maybe there's a hydrosol in my future. I'm making my purchases carefully, one at a time, to avoid early onset of SCAD - or maybe its variant RSCAD.

(it means Random) :wink:
guenron

Post by guenron »

notthesharpest wrote:Thanks all for the good discussion.

I will keep the oily word "salubricity" in my mental dictionary for the next time it's needed. :wink:

I liked the feeling of the little bit of extra oil at first, but by noon it no longer felt so salubricious, but more squoozly or even sleazy.

And the scent of Proraso toner is nice, just not as nice as the cream itself.

And most thanks to Chris for the pointer to how a system in equilibrium reacts to a change. I kind of knew this, because I do have to avoid strong soaps etc on my face, and my original question was about how to get this extra oil off without soap. So... maybe there's a hydrosol in my future. I'm making my purchases carefully, one at a time, to avoid early onset of SCAD - or maybe its variant RSCAD.

(it means Random) :wink:
As long as you can keep your oil in equilibrium(change every 3000m?) , as Chris and LeChateliier suggest, I guess your well on your way to salubricious? BTW, in case salubrious caused you problems, a simple definition:
favorable to or promoting health or well-being
Regards,
Ron

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Nein - "salubrious" ist mir kein Problem. Aber warum wünschen Sie, deutsch zu sein? Finden Sie sich mit Ihren Okla Homies nicht zufrieden?

(Und ich bitte die wahren Deutschen um entschuldigung.)
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Warum schreiben wir alle auf Deutsch jetzt? Ich habe nicht gewusst, dass es irgendeine Deutsch in Okle Gemütlich sowieso gab.

Ich habe gedacht, dass dies ein sich rasierendes Forum war!
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
guenron

Post by guenron »

notthesharpest wrote:Nein - "salubrious" ist mir kein Problem. Aber warum wünschen Sie, deutsch zu sein? Finden Sie sich mit Ihren Okla Homies nicht zufrieden?

(Und ich bitte die wahren Deutschen um entschuldigung.)
Das war nicht ein problem. Ich bin von der deutschen extraktion seit geburt gewesen. Dieses ist ein Witz von Joel. :lol:
Regards,
Ron

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

AACJ wrote:Warum schreiben wir alle auf Deutsch jetzt? Ich habe nicht gewusst, dass es irgendeine Deutsch in Okle Gemütlich sowieso gab.

Kann man denn sich rasen mit einer Forum? :?

(Guenron's signature says he wishes, that he German were, aber that he bleibt in Oklahoma, that's all!)
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Ich probierte nur einen neuen Übersetzer auf das Gewebe aus. Ich spreche Deutsch nicht, bin ich von Virginia für mensch Willen.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

ok....i'm seriously lost.......
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

notthesharpest wrote:
AACJ wrote:Warum schreiben wir alle auf Deutsch jetzt? Ich habe nicht gewusst, dass es irgendeine Deutsch in Okle Gemütlich sowieso gab.

Kann man denn sich rasen mit einer Forum? :?

(Guenron's signature says he wishes, that he German were, aber that he bleibt in Oklahoma, that's all!)
Oh, I see it, I thought you meant the signature on his post, not the profile.....and you really have to look for it too!!
Art

guenron

No Kidding

Post by guenron »

AACJ wrote:Ich probierte nur einen neuen Übersetzer auf das Gewebe aus. Ich spreche Deutsch nicht, bin ich von Virginia für mensch Willen.
Das liegt auf der Hand.
Regards,
Ron