Derby-Menthol Review

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Derby-Menthol Review

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Since I was ordering some DE blades for myself and a few buddies, I had Memo (I think) cut me a deal on a couple of tubes of Derby shaving cream to go along with the shipment. I got Menthol and Citrus. Since I'm such a menthol fanatic (just ask Giovanni lol) I decided to go with Menthol first, doing a 2-pass shave with the Tonsorial Gem.

Packaging -- Standard plastic tube, narrow cap and elongated.

Scent -- Almost non-existent but there is a subtle hint of mint, but it's almost synthetic.

Lather -- It seemed weak and watery even though I used a generous amount of cream and didn't oversoak the brush. The bubble size was ok and surprisingly, it held up throughout the pass. If you want to get wowed with the lather, give this a pass and go with Tryphon.

Moisturizing -- It didn't seem to fully penetrate the hair. It was adequate, but I've used MUCH better.

Glide -- Mediocre at best. I didn't end up with any nicks or burn, but it wasn't as smooth as with TGQ products.

Skin effect -- No burn, no dryness and no irritation. It reacts with skin well. On a sad note there was no minty tingle. If they used peppermint EO, it was only used in trace amounts.

Overall -- Adequate. If you want something ultra-cheap that will just get the job done, add this to the order of Derby blades. If you want a superior product that will make your shave an enjoyable experience, go with Colleen or Giovanni.
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

All I can add is that the creams seemed to take more water than any of my other creams. I haven't used them in a while and may give one of them a go and report back tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see if they perform the same now as they did when I was first starting out.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Looking forward to reading the results even though I can predict with a fair bit of certainty that they won't be any better the second time around. $3 Williams Menthol+E cream beats Derby hands down.
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic