SKIN FOOD - DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
InjuryLaw

SKIN FOOD - DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE?

Post by InjuryLaw »

I've heard a lot about the Trumper's Skin Food, which is available in both West Indian Limes and Coral. So I slapped a nice amount on my "shave area" while browsing at Marshall Field's today, and I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I mean, more than anything, what I noticed was that my face felt quite dry afterwards, and it really didn't seem to be all that soothing. Of course, I didn't apply it right after shaving, so I might not have been able to see its true power. I'm not saying it sucks, I just don't know much about it.

Anybody want to weigh in on this?
growler

Post by growler »

It's only for use right after you shave (though the coral can be used pre-shave). The idea is that it seals your just-ravaged skin from the elements for a couple hours.
InjuryLaw

Post by InjuryLaw »

I see. Can someone comment on how well it works both as a pre-shave and after-shave?
sean mac

Post by sean mac »

Skin Food seems to be a love it (or not) product. I've tried it a few times. It works okay for me, but I need to use an additional moisturizer after using it. Other people seem to regard this as the holy grail of aftershaves.

I guess it just goes to show that we are all different, and we need to sample products to see what works best for us as individuals.
Produce great people, the rest follows.
- Elbert Hubbard
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i use it about 30 minutes after i shave. it really helps to seal in whatever oils or moisture your face generates. i apply natureade 80 aloe vera gel just after i use witch hazel (which is 3 minutes after i shave). then 30 minutes later, i use the coral skin food. is it anything special - no, but yes. what i notice is that i am not nearly as oily in my t zone as i used to be by lunch. so, it somehow seems to work in that regard and so, i aint gonna fix something that aint broke

sam
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Trumpers skin food works best on damp skin after shaving. It does dry well with little to no residue. I prefer DR Harris Aftershave Milk.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Does the DR Harris Aftershavemilk have any significant fragrance?
I prefer DR Harris Aftershave Milk.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Ravi, milk has a very light powdery scent that vanishes after a couple of minutes. Does not clash with my EDT.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Perfect! Thanks!
Does not clash with my EDT.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I personally don't think to highly of either skin food...I find the coral stings a bit and smells like burning roses?? This is minor of course and it's only for a second, but I will never purchase it...I just think it's not right for me and that there are many superior post-shave products on the market for lesser costs...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I concur with Austin. I think that Skin Food is a good aftershave product, but personally, I prefer Harris's Aftershaving Milk. Gordon
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
OldSeaRock

Post by OldSeaRock »

I love the Trumpers Coral Skin Food.

My main reason is because I have terminally dry skin. I've tried other moisturizers and they either turn my face into an oil slick or simply don't do the job of proper moisturization.

Trumpers Coral is "just right" and I prefer it to the Limes version. Again, I use it mainly as a moisturizer and have had stellar results.
p_man

Post by p_man »

Do you Skin Food-ites use it alone or before/after some combination of toner and other moisturizer?

I haven't found it to be quite strong enough a moisturizer fo me to use on its own. What have others found?

Dave C
OldSeaRock

Post by OldSeaRock »

I simply use about a generous "dimes worth" of the Coral after shaving, massaging it all over my face. The dryness is taken care of and my face isn't an oil slick at noon! 8)

Mike
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

I have an oily face as well, so Skin Food is just what the doctor ordered. When I put it on, there's an initial cooling sensation, then my face becomes dry and smooth. It's especially nice in the hot, humid summertime.

My previous aftershave of choice had been AOS lavender AS balm, which while soothing, would cause people to ask me why I had grease on my chin...
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Have you guys tried the Baxter Aftershave Balm...It's a similar consistency to Skin Food, but I personally think it's far better at a better price...Very nice stuff for a hot summer day
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

I have been using the lime skin food for a couple of weeks and I like it! :D
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

lint

Post by lint »

my mouth waters at the thought of applying Skin Coral.

love the smell and feel after a shave.

-todd

:wink:
Jahupnorth1

Post by Jahupnorth1 »

After a good shave I like to spray a good amount of QED Da Vinci Water all over my face and then aply the skin food works very well for my skin type hope this helps

Jeff