Campbell Lather King

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Jahupnorth1

Campbell Lather King

Post by Jahupnorth1 »

Has anyone tried useing different creams instead of the campbell cream? If so what cream and what where the results. I was thinking of trying Cremo cream and a little Proso red not sure how this would turn out.

Jeff
HLSheppard
Coffee King

Post by HLSheppard »

Hi Jeff -

I have had overall some very nice results with the Latherking. I was told, however, early on, NOT to try Proraso as the lanolin gums up the machine. That said - I've not tried it, so I don't know for sure... In that same bit of advice, I was told that the Campbell soap concoction is crap as well (have to agree with that as I've tried it). It's OK to use as a "filler" for a blend just to achieve the right mix, but it's basically crap on it's own IMHO. :?

The best blend I got was with the 'new' Lucky Tiger shave lotion.

first one on the left here: http://getluckytiger.com/nsproducts.html

Basically you get a feel for a good mix, but here's what I would do: Start with a coffee cup full of hot water. Dump in a tablespoon or so of the Lucky Tiger (above), a few drops of pure glycerine, a teaspoon of the Latherking cleaner and give it a good stir. After I poured that into the machine, I then topped it off with more hot water and more of the shave lotion (if needed) to get to my preferred consistency. You could also add some of the Latherking soap or, say, a Taylor's or Trumpers if you wanted. It just depended on my mood.

I actually JUST cleaned out and "decommissioned" my Latherking this morning. I've made the move to the Hydrolast "Methodshaving" products. I would have NEVER thought something could make my Latherking "fall from grace..." :shock:
Howard L. Sheppard
howardsheppard(at)sbcglobal.net

"I wish I were less awkward around strangers. I never know what to say when someone asks me who I am and what in the world I'm doing in their house." -- Andy Ihnatko
Barry

Post by Barry »

Are there different latherking models? I checked out a few different websites and found them priced all the way from $179 to $240. I couldn't tell if they were selling different models though - the product descriptions were not the greatest.

Also, since I don't have one I thought I would ask a few questions. Do you have to fill it every day or can you keep it filled and plugged in for a couple of days? How do you clean it?

Thanks,

Barry

Oh boy, ANOTHER shaving product I want to buy. :roll:
HLSheppard
Coffee King

Post by HLSheppard »

Hi Barry -

Nope - only one model. Two different color choices. Prices on the web are ALL over the map.

A "fill" for me lasted about a week. Maybe 5-8 decent shaves (just depending on how many passes, etc.)

You keep it plugged in constantly. I was worried about the electric bill but didn't even notice a difference. You clean it by basically dumping the contents and running the cleaning solution and water through it. I think the cleaner is isopropyl alcohol (at least that's exactly what it smells like), but I'm not sure. Give it a good flush with that method, then just wipe it out. No problem.

You don't really need to clean it unless you're having a problem or putting it away for an extended period, etc. Mine has been absolutely bulletproof as far as reliability.
Howard L. Sheppard

"I wish I were less awkward around strangers. I never know what to say when someone asks me who I am and what in the world I'm doing in their house." -- Andy Ihnatko
Barry

Post by Barry »

Well I gave in to temptation and ordered a Lather King. I searched around and found a decent enough price - lower than what I found before. Plus, the shipping was free so I'm happy.

You guys will have to let me know some of your "recipes" for creating a nice lather with this machine.

Barry
roberev

Post by roberev »

Howard,

Are the ingredients of the RMWS, as listed in one of Joel's recent posts (daCube, cream, Hydrolast paste) compatible with the LatherKing? I wonder if shavings (no pun intended) of Da Cube would melt down properly in the machine. It might be the best of all worlds if these ingredients could be run through the LatherKing.

Rob
HLSheppard
Coffee King

Post by HLSheppard »

Don't know for sure as I haven't tried it.

Again - I was told (by a guy who supposedly knows much more about these than I do) not to use soap shavings as it would gum up the machine.

However - the worst that could happen would be it would need a good cleaning, right???? :twisted:

Honestly, your on your own there, partner! :-k
Howard L. Sheppard