Rose Cream...

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
water

Rose Cream...

Post by water »

Gentlemen:

I am looking to add a Rose scented cream to my collection. Since all of the big English companies have a version, I am wondering which is generally thought of as the best. Does anyone have a favourite? I am currently leaning toward T&H or Taylor's, though a convincing argument could certainly still sway me at this point.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

My favorite is T&H. Aromatic and lathers up really well. Also quite lubricating. Taylors and Trumpers are also excellant.
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I just got a sample of T&H Rose in the mail and it was all right, nothing special...I prefered the trumper rose and I can't comment on the Taylors Rose since I have yet to try it, but it's on the short list!!

I found the T&H to be a tad more mild in regards to scent and it's not a colored as the other roses I've used...Like all T&H creams i've tried, it generates very nice lather with almost no effort and spreads very nicely over the face...My one beef with T&H creams is that I personlly find that they don't provide enough lube - It's decent, but I just find Taylors does a better job of this...Don't get me wrong, the shave was good, but I've had better...

If you email T&H customer service they will send you some samples - I'm not sure if Taylors will, someone else will have to comment on that...
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Soap Kinda' Guy

Post by guenron »

Greetings Rose Fans!
I miss out on the exquisite fragrances offered by creams because, as the subject suggests, I prefer hard soaps. One soap with a rose fragrance that is absolutely wonderful is Geo. F. Trumper. Delicate yet unmistakably rose, I revel in its fragrance. It is like walking through a rose garden laden with fresh blossoms. Makes me want to lather up and shave... :)
Last edited by guenron on Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
water

Post by water »

I was just having a look around the QED site and realized that I had not even considered Salter's Wild Rose cream. I guess I can toss that one onto the "considering" list. Has anyone tried it? Care to compare to the others mentioned in this thread?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Water, As you suggested in your initial post, these are all fine shave creams, and ultimately, you'll have to try them to arrive at which you think is the "best". Maybe D R Harris, but you can't get that one in the US anymore. Personally, I'm most fond of Taylors and Coate's ( if the pot is in good shape ), but I wouldn't exactly break down an weep if I has to make do with Trumpers or T&H. I'm not as keen on the Salter's creams. They have some nice, and unusual scents, but to me, the cream is too light weight, to highy whipped, and thus the lather is too 'thin', not lubricating enough for my taste. Salters shaves me more like a hard soap, really. Still some shavers like it a good deal. Enjoy your exploration, the rose shave creams are all winners, in my opinion. Regards, Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

esoteric, Just as an interesting aside, my experiances with T&H shave creams pretty well matches your own; lathers up very easily and quickly, nice enough scent, but not as lubricating quite, as creams like Trumpers or Harris's, or Coate's. A somewhat more whipped, lighter weight product. HOWEVER, there is this OTHER T&H cream. Sometimes one finds pots of it that are very dense and rich, very similiar to Taylors in consistancy. This stuff provides a richer denser lather then the usual T&H cream. I have a pot of Limes, and one of Almond that is like this. If one buys mail order, then it's a turkey shoot, but if purchasing in person, I always check the pots as to the texture. I've seen both versions on the same store self. Regards, Gordon
PoshRichM

Post by PoshRichM »

Gordon, I thought I was the only one to notice a difference in Truefitt & Hill consistencies! I'm a real fan of T&H creams, and the softer consistency is what I have in all of my tubs except for the Limes, which at first I thought was dried out, it was so unyielding. But with a little water soaked in to help extraction, the Limes always winds up delivering on the T&H goodness. I figured I just had a "bad" tub, even though it works just as well.

I also like Trumpers, but I find the Taylors to deliver the worst lubrication of the creams I have bought, and the T&H creams the best. I wonder if it's the super-hard water in my town... :-k

-Rich
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

bernards66 wrote:esoteric, Just as an interesting aside, my experiances with T&H shave creams pretty well matches your own; lathers up very easily and quickly, nice enough scent, but not as lubricating quite, as creams like Trumpers or Harris's, or Coate's. A somewhat more whipped, lighter weight product. HOWEVER, there is this OTHER T&H cream. Sometimes one finds pots of it that are very dense and rich, very similiar to Taylors in consistancy. This stuff provides a richer denser lather then the usual T&H cream. I have a pot of Limes, and one of Almond that is like this. If one buys mail order, then it's a turkey shoot, but if purchasing in person, I always check the pots as to the texture. I've seen both versions on the same store self. Regards, Gordon
Yeah, the Rose cream I used was a sample that was a tad lighter than the pot of limes I had...It still lather very nice & thick...I found the pot of T&H Limes I had was more similar in texture & consistency to that of Taylors...Unfortunatly, T&H Limes lathered very well & smelled great, but my skin just didn't agree with it...I'm still going to use what I have left of the rose sample and I'll see how that goes, but I have some Coates Rose on the way and I've been curious to try Taylors & Salters as well...So it's kind of behind on the list...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Rich, Well, you might actually have a dehydrated pot of Limes, I've seen them from all the best firms, except Trumper. The dense style T&H stuff is, well, dense, like Taylors, but its creamy, not hard. Regarding lather, water is, of course, a significent factor in the lather one's going to get. There are some areas, like around SF, where one can lather up anything, with any brush, and other places, like NM where your going to have to work, and having a big super premium brush wouldn't hurt. But the water thing should be across the board. I can't see how it would effect one English cream one way, and another very differently. The lighter weight T&H creams are extremly easy to lather, they practically do it for you. More traditional style dense creams like Taylors in the pots, don't usually 'explode' like that, but take a little more brush action to really get going. Pumping the brush up and down a few times is usually a good idea. Approached this way, Taylor's creams usually lather profusely. Regards, Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I reaaly like Trumper's Rose cream. It has a lovely, true rose scent. I use it when I have a bit too over-aggressive on my face with new razors, creams, etc.

Cheers,
Craig
Cheers,

Craig
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

I have been wondering about DR Harris' Rose for a long time now. Does it still exist, no demand, or a back door thing for those in on a secret? I have a feeling they are doing just fine with the three creams already in their rotation.

Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Max, I'm really not sure of the exact situation regarding the D R Harris creams; Rose and Cologne ( and the Cologne shave soap ). I'm still kicking myself for not trying the Harris's Rose when I could have. I notice that the Trafalgar Shop, in Canada, still claims to stock the Cologne Shaving Soap and Stick. My best guess is that these products are still available in Britain, but being a very small company, they whittled down what they supplied to US retailers. It wouldn't surprise me if the rose was their biggest or second biggest seller in London, but in the US, ( these forums aside ), rose scented men's products are not exactly popular. The Cologne, being somewhat similiar to Arlington, was probably withdrawn for this reason ( although I have used THAT once, and it was superb ). If I ever find out anything more definate, I'll certainly post about it. Regards, Gordon