cologne-scented creams vs. single notes like rose

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

cologne-scented creams vs. single notes like rose

Post by Sam »

tried some taylor's mr. taylor tonight. pleasant smell and kinda like a pick-me-up, upper nobility type of scent. im not usually into scented creams that mimic colognes, and truefitt's 1805 cologne while pleasant does not translate into a great cream smell. this was ok. but i think i still prefer violet, rose, classicshaving citrus spice and gonna try lavendar. gotta try some lime (anybody got some they wanna give me?)

sam
PoshRichM

Post by PoshRichM »

I'm a big fan of Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar. And my T&H West Indian Limes is a cold-dead-fingers situation, sorry. ;-)

-Rich
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, While I can certainly appreciate why some gents favor some of the cologne scented creams, like Mr. Taylor's or T&H Trafalgar, personally I prefer the traditional 'single note' fragrances for shave creams and soaps. I'm especially partial to lime, lavender, or rose scented shave products. I find many of the cologne scented creams to be a little too intense for me, although, I can't deny that I'd love to see Trumper come out with a Spanish Leather or Fougena scented shave cream/soap! Regards, Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ah, rich, you know u wanna share!!!!!

sam
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Sam, I am also partial to single-note scents but I do like some of the T&H scented creams. My current favorite is Trafalgar.
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

Sam: Didn't I read or learn somewhere that Taylor's Shaving Shop Cream was the scented one that they (the Taylors) used to use in their barbershop to shave their customers? What does that tell you, if correct? Shaving Shop cologne is one of my (many) tops! Gordon, please fill us in on correct history. Best, John.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

dont get me wrong, the scent of Mr. Taylor's is good. Much better than the 1805 by truefitt and hill. but for sheer indulgence, i get more euphoria when i crack open rose or violet. someone also said maybe Mr. Taylor's is the lemon/lime scent?

sam
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, I believe that I've heard that too, somewhere, that Shaving Shop is the prep they use at their own shop in Jermyn Street. I've no idea if this is so, but it might well be. Regards, Gordon
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I'm also very partial to the 'single fragrence' floral or natural scents mainly because they are more suited for my sensitive skin...I do love the scents of many 'cologne' scented creams - maybe even more than the single note florals, but the single notes give me the superior shave...Although I really want to try Taylors St. James, Shave Shop, Eton and well all of them...One day [-o<
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i tried some taylors lavendar this evening. gordon has really given me an appreciation for this tradtional mens scent, and since i had gotten a root english lavendar candle, i am slowly coming around to this. well taylors smells divine. if castle forbes is better in smell, well guys, ill be jonesing for that as well.

sam
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I just recieved some Taylors Lavender today...I can't wait to try it...Unfortunantly my allergies have been getting the best of me the past couple days and I'm really stuffed up, so I might not be able to enjoy the scent as much :evil: ...I'm sure the shave will make up for it...
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

well if u dont like it, lemme know.

sam
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I have a feeling it's going to be one of my favs...Just one those fellings i got when a lathered up a small amount in my had earlier today...Might take me a day or two for the scent to get to me, but I like Lavender
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Taylors Lavendar was the first high end shave cream I have purchased and I am immensly pleased. It is a lovely scent to smell while shaving and its the only one my wife will use to shave her legs with. She says the T & H 1805 is too manly for her, but she likes it on me. At least that's good news.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs