New to traditional creams/soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
closeshave

New to traditional creams/soaps

Post by closeshave »

As the subject says, I'm new to the traditional creams and soaps (shipment arrived today :). I have been shaving with a DE for a couple of years, but using some of the more modern creams like T&H Ultimate, Nancy Boy, Baxters, etc. I also have a straight, but have not been able to successfully shave with it (that's another thread subject). I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks, and got hooked on the notion of the scented creams and soaps (and blades, and brushes... thanks alot). This seems to be a great site, and I'm glad to be here.

Miles
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Welcome, Miles. What creams/soaps did you just get?
closeshave

Post by closeshave »

I received an order of Taylors Rose, Avocado, and Sandlewood. I'm not sure which one I will try first.

Miles
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Nice choices. On the soap side, let me suggest a D.R. Harris shaving stick, so you can experiment with that form, and the Truefitt & Hill shaving soap. Both are classics and both deliver great lather. I think you can get both from Vintage Blades LLC.
closeshave

Post by closeshave »

I am interested in the stick and will probably give it a try, thanks for the link. I am also expecting a bowl of Trumpers coconut soap, from a posting in the selling and trading forum (thanks Marsom).

Miles
brderj

Post by brderj »

Hey Miles! My personal favorite cream is Taylors Sandalwood. I have not used the Rose, but I have smelled it. I love it, can't wait to use it! If you like it may I suggest Trumpers Violet, which is also very good.

I personally did not like the Baxter's shave cream (from what you listed this in the one I liked the least) but I enjoy everything Baxter's makes. Hope you enjoy the creams Miles, take care.

Jay
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Gen. Patton
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

2nd the Taylor's Sandalwood. The first cream I ever used, really great.

Dave
brderj

Post by brderj »

Dave_D wrote:2nd the Taylor's Sandalwood. The first cream I ever used, really great.

Dave
Lol, mine too. Everytime I lather up I automatically think of the first time I shaved. :D 8)
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Gen. Patton
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Miles,
If you want to send me the straight I'll make it a little sharper for you.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
closeshave

Post by closeshave »

Chris, I may take you up on that! I bought the straight (Dovo) before I knew much about them (not that I know a whole lot now), and it was probably 'shave-ready'. I couldn't remove the slightest stubble due to poor technique. I tried stropping for the first time, which probably didn't help my situation. I went ahead and tried to hone it myself with a 4000 grit wetstone. I have since downloaded your guide, but I'm afraid it needs some professional help.
In the mean time, I have become quite comfortable with the Futur but would still like to give the straight a fair chance.

Miles
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

closeshave wrote:Chris, I may take you up on that! I bought the straight (Dovo) before I knew much about them (not that I know a whole lot now), and it was probably 'shave-ready'.
It likely was not, unless you bought it from someone who personally honed it for you. They are rarely usable as they come from the factory, despite any claims to the contrary.