frustrated

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
gage0921

frustrated

Post by gage0921 »

Ok I used my truefitt limes cream in a tube tonite wich by the way was the first time I ever used a english cream. I soaked my brush in hot water in my mug(campbels soup cup for now 8) ) My face was plenty wet with warm water I then took a teaspoon or so of the cream and put deep down in the brush after I shook it one time. I made tons of lather but it was not as thick and did not have the consistency you guys are developing. More bubbles than it should I guess. I applied the cream and every so offten I would wet the tip of the brush and lather some more. Now I did get the best shave I have ever had and the razor seemed to glide with ease(except on my upper lip) but I think I could acheive even better results if I could get my lather down. Im still shaving only with a n to s pass which I assume is why im not babie but smooth but under my jaw bone and neck the stubble is obvious when I run my hand in a s to n motion. You can even see its not a real close shave in these spots. I switched out my blade for tommorows shave(feather) as Mr. Richard says he prefer's these and I hear they are much sharper so maybe this will help with that. If I could just get my lather down I would be so much happier. The lather is much better than I was receiving with my QED lavander stick though.
Sean
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

Perfect lather is a pain in the ass because it differs with each cream and soap and sometime within the lines themselves. The best thing to do is make up a few practice batches of cream to try and get the water/cream ratio down.
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Is there too much water in your lather? Does the shave cream drip or run off your face?

I turn my brush upside down till the water stops dripping out, then give it two shakes, then swirl in the tub of shave cream, and mix in my bowl. I would rather add water till I get it to the consistency I like rather than add more cream, seems easier to me, but I personally like mine thick, I seem to get a better shave when it is.

I also have heard that the quality of cream in a tube is quite different from the tubs, with the tubs being better.

Good luck!
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Argh Matey!

Post by guenron »

Everyone always has great suggestions and techniques that work well for them. And that is GOOD. Part of the issue why everyones techniques are different is that they satisfy different physical requirements (skin tone, oiliness, dryness, tough, tender, etc) and equipment. Let us focus on equipment. I use two brushes in rotation (Gotta' get 'em real dry before you resoak them he said to SWMBO), maybe three soon. Both are big and both hold a great deal of water. BUT, one holds significantly more water than the other. I was using roughly the same technique (mindlessly) every day and noted that I was getting frothy as opposed to meringue-like lather often (AAMOF it worked out to be every other day-oddly enough). Let me spare you all of the details, I started thinking about it and VOILA, EPIPHANY, EUREKA...(choose any one). So that I was able to keep my (mindless) process working, I now sweep my Kent a few extra times on the soap, or an extra half twist in the cream... etc...
Why all of this chatter, just this. Clarks suggestion of making a few batches is great. The real issue is to carefully control your lather-making process varying only one variable. I most strongly suggest that, if you believe you are hydrating too much, as it is far too easy to underhydrate through water lading adjustments, use successively more soap or cream per batch paying great care to how much you vary each time. Shaking the brush, allowing it to drizzle longer, etc, etc are all issues people address. I suggest that whatever you are doing there, you continue to do. It is difficult to regulate how much water your brush loses in a quick, semi-quick, almost as quick, additionally quick, or yet another shake shaking. Whether you soak your brush in a cup, mug, or bowl of hot water, or hold it under a running spigot for a few seconds, minutes... etc.. Keep that constant as it is not just a process but a technique that you have developed and to whcih you have become accustomed. It probablly isn't a bad one either, as it works under some, all, or most cuircumstances.(Select one) That is why I suggest the soap as the variable to vary. As they say, YMMV.
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i have found that i tend to get a better shaving experience with a cream than a hard soap. i can get great lathers with hard soaps, joris and classics, but i just prefer the creams. however, i have been using QED lavendar shave stick as a touch up on my neck to blade buff and this has been awesome this week.

sam
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Sean,

Try a bowl to build up the lather. I found, for me at least, the bowl works best.

As you know, only change one thing at a time.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Richard
Hotter than Hell Texas
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

Sean: I don't like to point to product necessarily to solve your prolem, but if you have any flavour Taylor's cream in the tub, try using it for your experimentation. Best, John.
gage0921

Post by gage0921 »

Classyjack wrote:Sean: I don't like to point to product necessarily to solve your prolem, but if you have any flavour Taylor's cream in the tub, try using it for your experimentation. Best, John.
I wish I did but this is all I have
Sean
gage0921

Post by gage0921 »

AACJ wrote:Is there too much water in your lather? Does the shave cream drip or run off your face?

I turn my brush upside down till the water stops dripping out, then give it two shakes, then swirl in the tub of shave cream, and mix in my bowl. I would rather add water till I get it to the consistency I like rather than add more cream, seems easier to me, but I personally like mine thick, I seem to get a better shave when it is.

I also have heard that the quality of cream in a tube is quite different from the tubs, with the tubs being better.

Good luck!
This did the trick thank you very much!!! I did not make tons of lather but it was beautifull though and just the right consistency. There was plenty to cover my 3yr old sons face in lather and enough for a second pass...lol He even said it smelled nice. :lol:
Sean
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gage, There you go, there was just a little too much water in the first mix. The cream you are using is just fine, so stick with it for awhile, and you'll learn exactly how it behaves, and what the best ratio and procedure is when using it. As Clark said, each of these creams is a little different, so no need to complicate things just now with more variables. And let us not forget, even with that first over-hydrated batch, you still got the best shave you've had to date. How about that! Regards, Gordon
mark the shoeshine boy

Post by mark the shoeshine boy »

hey Gordon,

Doesn't the hard soaps take more than creams ??? Let's point that out....

I know Gordon isn't a hard soap guy, I use both, and you have to watch the water....

Pretty soon the ladies of your local church will hear ablut your merigue and ask you to come down to decorate the cakes at the picnic.
:lol:
mark tssb
SHAVE AND A HAIRCUT...WAIT A SECOND WHAT ABOUT A SHOESHINE, TOO ????