New Vulfix creams

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
drmoss_ca
Admin

New Vulfix creams

Post by drmoss_ca »

It looks as if the Lavender hasn't changed, but the new creams are rather different to the old. For a change, it looks like it will be in a good way. The sandalwood I have plenty of, so I didn't order any more.
The Sicilian Limes and Persian Musk are white and stiffer/dryer than the old Lavender/Sandalwood. They are uncoloured - giving the general appearance of Nancy Boy in texture/thickness/white colour. The Limes has lime oil in it, the Musk simply declares Parfum. Neither is going to drive anyone into rhapsodies about the scent, but both are OK at first sniff (and given how the BodyShop scent grew on me I can get used to most things). Edit: I'm waiting for the next customer so I'll try to describe the scents. The Lime is not strong, rather like that of Fraser's cream, less noticeable than the T's and much less than CF. The Lavender has the artificial scent we have grumbled about before, and a definite ginger note at the end of a sniff (this is really apparent in the sandalwood version). The Musk smells quite strange. I wish I had the trained nose to describe it, but it is like the smell of certain shops that have recently been painted or had new carpets - it smells the way manufacturers think 'clean' is supposed to smell. There are certainly some interesting organic chemicals in there, and I don't get the impression it would be healthy to breathe it all day long!

I think I'll try out the Musk tomorrow morning, but the Limes is likely to be the winner of the two new ones.

Chris
Last edited by drmoss_ca on Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Steve

Post by Steve »

Chris,

The Persian Musk sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to your opinion of it!

Steve
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Thanks, Chris. I really love the Vulfix Sandalwood, but mine has a tendency to separate. I hope they'll reformulate it without changing the scent one bit!

I'm intrigued to try both of the new creams. But I think I've gotta wait until I use up some of the stuff I already have. I'm acquiring creams faster than I can use them, which is not bad in and of itself, but I now have too many creams to choose from.

Dave
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Can one really have too many creams to choose from?
Regards,
Jani
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Aztecface,

Good point. I do love variety, but I find of late that I'm spending too much time figuring out what I'm in the mood for each morning. The same kind of problem I have choosing what to order when I go to a restaurant with a menu that's a half inch thick.

Dave
prism

Post by prism »

Thanks for the review of the Lime, Chris. I'll have to give it a try. Vic
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Thanks, Chris, for the review of the Vulfix creams. Sounds like the lime is worth a try. Has anybody else had a chance to try the new Vulfix creams?

Dave
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chris, any verdict yet on Limes and the Musk?

I am about out of Castle Forbes Limes and though I have Trumpers Lime in soap, I was not too keen on the reformulated Trumper creams and Truefitt's West Indian Limes was a bit too artificial for me. Since QED has the newer website, I am tempted to venture into Vulfix or Salters for some rose and lime scents, or maybe Taylor for the Rose. Just wanting your opinion.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Opinion? - you can have the tubs of cream if you would like them! Perfectly functional creams, but the Persian Musk is a loathsome scent whilst the Sicilian Limes is simply unexceptional. After the CF Lime you would find it poor, thin stuff scentwise. I'll send them to you if you say the word. Their 'sandalwood' is the best of them, but it is really a ginger scent.
Salter's Lime is marginally nicer, but the cream is fluffy and whipped full of air. Their citrus cream is a nicer scent - largely grapefruit.
Have you tried the lemon/lime Fraser cream? It's substantially better than Salter's, though still not a traditional 3T cream.
If you simply want a good value traditional lime cream I would pick the Taylor's lemon & lime.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chris, thank you for the offer, but if the smell is not up to par and the shave itself is just so-so-, I would not like them any more than you. I tried Fraser and the shave was good, the smell was nondescript to me. I am down to the last bit of CF Limes and I find that using it once every 10 days or so, it makes for a delightful blast. THe CF Lavendar was a bit too fragrant for me, and Truefitt's seems to be my cup of tea.

I may have to venture the Taylors Lemon Lime and Rose if you think those are good to give a try. The one time I used Salters, I loved the smell of the Rose but it was a bit runny, so I had to leave it 24 hours in the fridge, top off, to form like a stiff skin to it. It would be runny again in a week.
suffolksupplies
Vendor

Post by suffolksupplies »

Anyone tried the Vulfix Rose?

Regards,

Paul
Last edited by suffolksupplies on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Best regards,

Paul

Quality shaving products & toiletries from Connaught Shaving http://connaughtshaving.com
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

suffolksupplies wrote:Anyone tried the Vulfix Rose?

Regards,

Paul
I have not, but I should expect that if the scent isn't obviously artificial (real attar of roses being a bit pricey) it will be a good cream. The other Vulfix creams are good shavers, but just need some attention to the scents.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, Traditional Lime cream has become a bit of a dilemma, I'm afraid. Coate's, of course, is gone. Trumpers remains a gamble, IMO. Before he fled town, Dominic showed me a pot of Trumpers Limes that looked perfect, but the pot I have had to 'age' for more than a year to get decent. The current pot of Taylors Lemon/Lime that I have is an excellent specimen texture and shave wise, BUT there are strong indications that they've seriously changed their creams this time, and so, you'd want to make double sure that you got an older pot; NOT new stock. Also, the scent is more in the T&H bag; a mixed 'cologne' sort of smell, not straight lime. I perfer their scent to the T&H, but only marginally. Neither is nearly as nice as the Coate's or Trumpers, IMO. So, that leaves the lime cuboard pretty bare. You can either take a gamble on being okay with the Taylors scent, or gamble on getting a decent pot of Trumpers.
Regards,
Gordon
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

Well I finally got into my vulfix Lime sample.

It does smell almost lime like but not quite right. A bit artificial to my nose.

The lather and shave were pretty darn good. It whipped up easy and had a nice body to it. It gave a nice razor head glide/float and a close shave.

Although the shave was good, the scent probably won't bring me back, unless I hear they made it more natural smelling. I'll still keep looking for a nicer lemon/lime scent.
Tom
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Short Round wrote:Well I finally got into my vulfix Lime sample.

It does smell almost lime like but not quite right. A bit artificial to my nose.

The lather and shave were pretty darn good. It whipped up easy and had a nice body to it. It gave a nice razor head glide/float and a close shave.

Although the shave was good, the scent probably won't bring me back, unless I hear they made it more natural smelling. I'll still keep looking for a nicer lemon/lime scent.

I'm with Tom. Got a good shave from the cream and I can echo his other sentiments. I have a small sample of Rose. It is an artificial scent for sure. If you can live with the scents you'll enjoy a good shave.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

Guys,

I recently acquired the Vulfix Persian Musk and am getting great results. Like my TOBS, it gives rich, creamy, comfortable lather. The consistency is interesting; a little looser than the TOBS but it works.

Of note - I am not sure what a "Persian Musk" is supposed to smell like. Personally, I like it but cannot relate to any shaving cream or soap I have used in the past. Can anyone identify with the aroma?

Thanks,
Ed
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

This will give you a summary and a hint as to the connection to Persia. (That's Axis of Evil territory these days!)

The Vulfix stuff still smells horrible but shaves well.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

Trumperman wrote:
Short Round wrote:Well I finally got into my vulfix Lime sample.

I'm with Tom. Got a good shave from the cream and I can echo his other sentiments. I have a small sample of Rose. It is an artificial scent for sure. If you can live with the scents you'll enjoy a good shave.

Regards,

Bill
Bill,

I have to say the Rose is quite arificial smelling too. In fact when i first started to make the lather the first smell I thought I smelled was strawberries and then something with it. I thought that was odd.

I may have not got the lather right, it didn't shave as good as the Sicilian Limes. My face was a little irritated by it too. I'll give it another test but I'm thinking my face doesn't like something in it.
Tom
chicagorazor

Post by chicagorazor »

Hey - the Lime lathers and shaves pretty good. The smell is decent but I don't have anything to compare it too. I may try the CF lime when I get a chance and the dough.

David