Harris Arlington Cream vs. Harris Arlington Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jojo

Harris Arlington Cream vs. Harris Arlington Soap

Post by jojo »

I've never tried either, but have read the recent posting lamenting the "new" cream. Am I right in assuming that changes in the product have not had an impact on the soap -- and, if so, is the simple answer to all this just use the soap? How would folks compare the new cream (or, for that matter, the old cream) to the Arlington soap? Is the soap something special still worth trying out?
timc

Post by timc »

Let me save Richard the trouble by saying that this is the best soap that money can buy and you should purchase as much as you can afford immediately. That's the simple answer. The consensus is that the reformulations have not affected soaps.

*I have not used any D.R. Harris soaps. Maybe soon.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jojo, Maybe check our Search function for information and opinions on the classic 'soap vs. cream' ongoing discussion. There's a ton of material on that basic issue. The only change in the Harris's hard shave soaps in MANY a year seems to be that the new cakes coming in do not contain lanolin, and they used to. If the shave quality has been affected at all, it would be only very slightly. It seems that the change in the creams, however, is quite radical, and quite negative.
Regards,
Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

timc wrote:Let me save Richard the trouble by saying that this is the best soap that money can buy and you should purchase as much as you can afford immediately. That's the simple answer. The consensus is that the reformulations have not affected soaps.

*I have not used any D.R. Harris soaps. Maybe soon.
That saved some typing, thanks!
Richard
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Is the soap something special still worth trying out?
absolutely, positively, 100% without a doubt. Its the best soap ever. if you have a bad experience with it, go back to shaving University. :lol: For me anyway, there's harris and then there's everything else.

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

My experience with Harris soap is that it is basically the best.

The only downside is that the scents are very very mild in the soap. So you do not get nearly as much scent as with the cream.

-Mo
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

MOSES wrote:My experience with Harris soap is that it is basically the best.

The only downside is that the scents are very very mild in the soap. So you do not get nearly as much scent as with the cream.

-Mo
Try Marlborough, it is almost too strong for me.
Richard
levente

Post by levente »

I'll chime in and say that the Harris soaps (at least the lavender and almond) are on par with the best I have used. Certainly no others I've tried are better.

Regards,
Basil
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

if Harris for the dandy and rakes amongst us ever made a soap with the Plisson scent it would be all over for me. I would have total 100% shaving fidelity

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum