Recommendations for my second ever shaving cream?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
reginald-van-gleason

Recommendations for my second ever shaving cream?

Post by reginald-van-gleason »

Hi, I am new to the board. I recently became a convert to the traditional brush and lather method of shaving, and just a few days ago I started using my dad's old gillette safety razor... its bliss, and I am actually getting a close shave now. Currently, I am using Taylor's St. James in a tub, I like the clean scent and the lather is good... that's all I have used and am looking for a recomendation for a second cream.

I have a very thick and tough stubble and I am prone to very dry skin.

I have read great things about Taylor's Avocado, but the Avocado part scares me... does it actually smell like Avocado?

Trumpers Almond or Sandalwood also sounds intriguing, but the price jump is considerable... is it worth the extra money? Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations, thanks very much.
reginald-van-gleason

OK, so I just read some more about Taylor's Avocado, and apparently it does not smell like Guacamole, which is a good thing...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ah, Reginald, over here too, I see. No, Taylor's Avocado does not smell like guacamole. It's a clean, somewhat herbal scent, maybe a hint of cucumber. It's an excellent, very emollient shave cream. Is Trumper's "worth it"? Only you will be able to answer that for yourself, after you've tried some. If you're asking, 'is it a superior shave cream to Taylors?', the answer is no. IMO, nothing made is significently 'better' then Taylor's shave creams, however, there are a few that are argueably as good, creams that some shavers personally prefer for various reasons. Of all the really top shelf traditional English shave creams, Taylors is the least expensive, and because of this, it is, unquestionably, the 'best buy'. That being said, they is no reason not to try some of the others, it's the only way to find out which ones you personally prefer. Myself, I have favourites from different firms. For Rose, I go with Taylors. But of all the Lime scented creams, Trumper's is probably my favourite. With Almond creams, I especially like Coate's and D R Harris's. So, you have to try different things, these creams are all similiar,and yet, subtly different. Keep in mind, with Trumpers, you get 7oz. in the pot, as oppossed to 5.3oz with Taylors, so the price gap isn't quite as hugh as it seems. Happy hunting. Regards, Gordon
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

I'd say either Taylor Rose or Avocado. Hell you can get both for the price of 1 Trumper cream. Can't beat that.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Recommend "A CREAM"? That's like eating potato chips. I second what Gordon says about DR Harris's Almond. Although it may not be different enough of a scent from the St. James you are now using. A cheap way to load up your arsenal of creams might be to go with Proraso, and you'll have change left over to try Williams Shaving Soap, which is less than a buck at Wal Mart, allowing you two have two more options. Don't forget that you can request samples from Truefitt & Hill for more ideas. Others will chime in, just make a decision based on what you think fits you best.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
reginald-van-gleason

Hey Gordon... yes, I have migrated to this board as well, and I am enjoying the knowledge on both of them. At some point I will try the Trumper's because my curiosity and vanity won't allow me not to. I like the Trumper's and I admire their tradition, I would like to support that kind of a company. The Limes, you say? That would fit nicely with my Trumper's limes skin food. Maybe, with a bit of sweet talking, I can hit them up for some samples. Thanks again, Gordon.
reginald-van-gleason

rtaylor61 wrote:Recommend "A CREAM"? That's like eating potato chips. I second what Gordon says about DR Harris's Almond.
Randy
Thanks, Randy, I love the potato chip analogy. Personally, I prefer Kettle chips' salt and vinegar... I can actually obtain Harris' Almond locally in SF at Gumps for $30, which, according to Gordon, is a fair price. Beats shipping and handling. :)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Reginald, If you go to the Trumper's web site, and email them, they are very kind about sending samples, although at times, members have had to wait awhile for them, at other times they arrive quickly, it just depends. Yes, I'm very fond of their Limes cream. Supposedly, it is for "normal to oily skin", but although my skin is rather sensitive, the Limes works excellently. It was actually the first really top shelf shave cream that I used. If you think you want extra emollient, their Coconut Oil shave cream is especially rich. Samples are definately a good idea. Another possibility might be emsplace.com. She's in Oregon, you could give her a call. Regards, Gordon
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

You'll love the DR Harris! I have a couple of tubes I picked up off of ebay. To me, it is a very "business like" almond, and it gives a great shave! However, if you take the Kettle chips, dip them in the Taylor's Avocado...never mind!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
reginald-van-gleason

rtaylor61 wrote:However, if you take the Kettle chips, dip them in the Taylor's Avocado...never mind!

Randy
dr harris' almond over vanilla ice cream, mmmm...
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Gordon,

I requested samples from T&H and Trumpers at about the same time. T&H responded almost immediately. After a few weeks, I emailed Trumpers again, asking about the samples. The response came across as a bit rude, but basically stated that they were out of samples and would fulfill my request when possible, that that there was really no need to email again. That was in early May, and I am still waiting.

Randy
p_man

Post by p_man »

Reginald,

Try going to David Stephen Menswear on Maiden Lane, opposite Sur la Table (the block the ends at Kearny). They have a pretty complete line of T&H, so you can sniff around and pick something you like.

Did Gumps have anything beyond the Almond? I work within sight of it, so please say no, otherwise I'm out another $30.

Dave C
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

Reginald: Don't count on Trumper's for samples: you'll wait forever. Try Proraso red for something new and different. Best, John.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Reg-- If price is no object, try Castle Forbes. They only have two scents, Limes and Lavender, but they're both outstanding. Using Limes is like shaving with key lime pie, and the lavender should be very gentle on your skin. But they're obscenely expensive.

--Mark
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

There is already a topic in the general section on samples complete with email addresses of the major shave cream suppliers.
BTW, I just recieved my Trumper samples a few days ago, along with a handwritten note of thanks.

My favorite shave creams though are T & H 1805 and Taylors Lavendar, but I would love to try the Avacado everyone is talking about. I have a few samples but no Avacado. Keep in mind, everyones opinion is just that, you may not like Lavendar or Rose or anything else, its just your personal opinion and preference. I would recommend requesting samples from everyone.

Just my two cents.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
reginald-van-gleason

p_man wrote: Try going to David Stephen Menswear on Maiden Lane, opposite Sur la Table (the block the ends at Kearny). They have a pretty complete line of T&H, so you can sniff around and pick something you like.
Thanks, Dave, I'll give it a try. Glad to have another wetshaver in the hometown.
p_man wrote: Did Gumps have anything beyond the Almond? I work within sight of it, so please say no, otherwise I'm out another $30.
You can breath easy because that's all I saw for Harris, and Harris was the only english cream that they carried, I believe... although I wasn't in there for too long and didn't see everything, so you never know...
reginald-van-gleason

Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions, I have emailed both Trumper's and T&H about samples, hopefully they can send some out in the near future. That thread on the Tabac shaving cream also piqued my interest so I may go in that direction, as well. Cheers
reginald-van-gleason

drmoss_ca wrote:...if you are looking for a second-ever cream there are better choices. I would suggest Taylor's rose or Trumper's sandalwood as being very reliable.

Chris
Thanks, Chris. Perhaps the Tabac cream or soap can wait. Forgive my ignorance, but what does "sandalwood" smell like? or is it too unique to describe?
cola

Post by cola »

I'm pretty new at this myself, but I have some T&H and Taylor's and much prefer the T&H -- it gives me a much more comfortable shave. I just requested samples from Trumper's and was told that they are out, but will send me some as soon as they have them. If you have a Nordstrom's near you, you might be able to pick up some T&H samples there, but not all of their stores are carrying it.

Alan
rschul2

Post by rschul2 »

The one cream that I find often gets overlooked on this board is anything by Salter's. I happen to really like their mint cream. It has a nice scent, provides a good lubricated shave, and the cream seems to treat my skin very well. I hear the citrus by Salter's has a nice grapefruit scent--though I've never used it.
Randy