D.R. Harris Almond Soap...Scent in the Dish

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
JRTASTER

D.R. Harris Almond Soap...Scent in the Dish

Post by JRTASTER »

Just received the D.R. Harris Almond Shace Soap in the (walnut!!) dish. It was facory "sealed" with a tape clearly marked "Almond." Couldn't wait to open it (tho it came too late to use in today's shave) and WOW... a fragrance I recognize, but certainly not like any almond scent I've smelled before (C&E Creams in both the tube and tub, Caswell Massey come quickly to mind). Very "perfumey" (how's that for a technical description??) and certainly no almond fragrance. Will the almond scent present itself when a wet brush is used and the soap lathered?? Scents in creams/soaps are important to me, but not so important as for those who shave after showering. I shave before the shower so a pleasant scent is a fleeting bonus. Also, I've found with C&E shave creams that the almond scented cream, now sadly discontinued, seemed to me a better performing cream than the C&E Sienna or Sandalwood versions. So, I've heard so much good about the performance of the Harris Almond Soap specifically, I don't want to be disappointed. Any insights???
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

You will love it. The Harris almond is a great soap which I have been using of late in a deep and wide cereal or soup bowl with the flat side down (thanks again Gordon). Combined with a Chubby 3 brush I can get a larger scent than in the bowls Harris provides. Not that I use that large Chubby much anymore but with 'room' it may help a soaps scent. Richard?

Max
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

This is a great Almond soap. My favorite. It has a spicy undertone which makes it outstanding and the lubrication and lather are great.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

JR, Harris's Almond shave soap is a true upper crust classic. It probably hasn't been seriously altered since the 1920s. Superb lather and a traditional English scent. No, it doesn't smell like the 'almond' shave creams....neither does the Trumper Almond hard shave soap for that matter. Enjoy.
Regards,
Gordon
Steve

Post by Steve »

JR,

I just had a great shave this morning using DR Harris Almond soap. I'm actually glad it doesn't smell like almond. I love the slightly citrusy, fresh scent! Talk about tons of lather! Enjoy!

Steve
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

well, i hear spicy undertone and citrusy and neither jumps to mind when i smell the soap labelled "almond." shaved w/it today and the fragrance on the face was not very different than that dry in the dish. nice shave: feels close, but the payoff will come around 10 p.m. this evening to see how close the shave actually was. had no trouble lathering and while the scent was certainly not unpleasant, i'm still not convinced i didn't receive a mis-labelled item. to hi-jack my own thread a bit, i'm thinking of ordering the harris shave stick in lavender. questions: will lavender smell like lavender and is the performance of the lavender version comparable to the (??) almond version?? many thanks, as ever, for the help and advice from you learned gentlemen. john
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I have several Harris soaps. I think they all have a Harris-y smell to them, with the fragrance added to that. Hope that makes sense. First time I used Lavender, I had the same feeling that it was mis-labelled.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

thanks, i feel a little more assured having had this input. this was/is my first experience with "higher end" soaps after gleaning all the comments here at SMF and i want it to be a great one. i certainly wasn't led astray in selecting some fine "better" shave creams based on all the info posted here. as to the shave i got w/harris almond, so far, so good....
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

JR, Yeah, the Harris's Lavender shave soap is a classic English lavender scent; the best, IMO. As far as shave quality with hard soaps goes, it simply doesn't get any better then the Harris's soaps, and VERY few are even in the same league. If this is your first experiance with really high end shave soaps, it may take a little practice to really get the optimal use out of it. I've little doubt that your cake of Almond is precisely that; it's just not what you expected is all.
Regards,
Gordon
goose

Post by goose »

JR,
Harris almond and lavender were my first experiences with top shelf shave soaps as well. While the almond took me a little time to get used to, the lavender was exactly how i thought a gentlemen's lavender fragrance should smell. I don't think you will be disappointed with the shave stick if you order it, but don't give up on the almond either. I think it will grow on you over time.

Clint