Question Regarding T&H Creams (Tub fill level)

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
HEWSINATOR

Question Regarding T&H Creams (Tub fill level)

Post by HEWSINATOR »

So my sister just got back from Vegas, ansd being the great sister she is, she picked up some stuff from T&H for me.

She got me a tub of West Indian Limes Cream, a tub of 1805, and WIL soap and shower gel.

Anyhow, the shave cream tubs look like hell inside. The look like they are about half full, and there is no consistency in the tup, like chunks up one side, can see the bottom on the other, etc... On the 1805 I can atleast see a little bit of the swirl at the top.

So my simple question is, is this normal, how much are the tubs usually filled, and when you open them do they usually look like shit?
MD2be

Post by MD2be »

the tub of 1805 i received last week is exactly the same as you describe it. maybe about 70% full, not even, etc.

I think its great stuff though! This is my first English shave cream and I have been getting awesome shaves.
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Hew,

im not an expert on creams but maybe your sis had them out in the heat for a while. if i were you i would mix the west indies with a fork just to get it back to a good consistency. if you decide you dont want it, let me know.

john
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
p_man

Post by p_man »

My tub of WIL arived looking soft and about half full, but my Trafalgar is firm and full. <insert soft avocado joke here>

But by weight they're about the same, so I'm happy. If you have access, you could scoop them out onto some wax paper and weigh them to make sure.

The textures are different, too. The Trafalgar is a little lighter and is stiffer, so it doesn't shift as much. The WIL is soft enough to be smooshed up the side by the brush or to go to one side if left on end long enough.

I'd guess that the tubs just spent some time on their sides or upside down.

Dave C
HEWSINATOR

Post by HEWSINATOR »

Thanks for the input guys. THey definately could have been in the heat, I gues it was about 40C there, what is that, over 100F? Anyhow, I am not too concerned, just more curious.

I am for sure gonna keep the WIL, that is all I asked her to grab if she was at Caesars. But I do not know how I feel about 1805, I had some samples of it and like but do not looooove.
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

PM sent
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Shaving cream consistency varies greatly from tub to tub. Once I ordered two tubs of trafalgar direct from the Truefitt and Hill website. One was perfect (smooth and creamy), the other was very stiff and almost dried out. They advised me to add some water to the dried out tub to revitalize it. As for fill level, I have never had a tub of any shaving cream that was full to the top. Trumpers comes close though. T&H and Taylors always seem a bit low to me.

Vince
:::Vince:::
ejquin

Post by ejquin »

I just recieved a tub of Taylors Avocado today and the best way i can describe it is "soupy." It's not firm at all, rather it's runny. I guess it's from traveling through the heat, but it wasn't sitting at my door step for more then 15 minutes before i brought it in.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

ejquin wrote:I just recieved a tub of Taylors Avocado today and the best way i can describe it is "soupy." It's not firm at all, rather it's runny. I guess it's from traveling through the heat, but it wasn't sitting at my door step for more then 15 minutes before i brought it in.
Stick it in the fridge for a few hours.
PoshRichM

Post by PoshRichM »

What I do with tubs that have settled badly in shipping is slap them hard, bottom-first, into the palm of one hand a few times. That tends to settle the cream more evenly.

Has worked with all but the driest of the creams I've received.

-Rich
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

PoshRichM wrote: slap them hard, bottom-first
What the hell did they ever do to you?
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
mike

Post by mike »

This may not solve the problem. I too received a tub of Taylor's Avacado which was quite runny. I put it in the refrigerator which did nothing to resolve the "problem". I e-mailed Charles and he informed me that this is normal, and should not alter the quality of the shave.
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
HEWSINATOR

Post by HEWSINATOR »

PoshRichM wrote:What I do with tubs that have settled badly in shipping is slap them hard, bottom-first, into the palm of one hand a few times. That tends to settle the cream more evenly.

Has worked with all but the driest of the creams I've received.

-Rich
As intuitive as this would seem, I never tried it, and as per your advice did, and it did help alot. But no joke, the tubs did get the best of me, my hand really hurt now, so much that I am wondering about my mental health, when I knew that I was hurting myself, but willing to endure lasting pain for completely aesthetics of an open tub. Who is going to see the tub? It would be cool if somebody was there while I shave towel clad after a shower, but it is just not inthe works at this time, unfortunately.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

mike wrote:
This may not solve the problem. I too received a tub of Taylor's Avacado which was quite runny. I put it in the refrigerator which did nothing to resolve the "problem". I e-mailed Charles and he informed me that this is normal, and should not alter the quality of the shave.
Mike I would suggest shaving with the cream and seeing if you can live with it. My avocado cream is also runny but it still gives me a great shave.

If you find that you can't live with it, put it up for trade.
PoshRichM

Post by PoshRichM »

Chris wrote:
PoshRichM wrote: slap them hard, bottom-first
What the hell did they ever do to you?
They were very naughty creams, you see, and needed a spanking... :twisted:

-Rich
Last edited by PoshRichM on Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoshRichM

Post by PoshRichM »

HEWSINATOR wrote:...But no joke, the tubs did get the best of me, my hand really hurt now, so much that I am wondering about my mental health, when I knew that I was hurting myself, but willing to endure lasting pain for completely aesthetics of an open tub.
Dude. Listen to your body. Like everything else in this whole wetshaving business... Calibrate! There's plenty of opportunity to cause yourself pain with the sharp things.

-Rich
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Hewsinator, Sounds like it might be bad berries, to me. As Vince said, there is some variation in the consistancy etc. of these traditional creams, but, I've also seen enough examples of creams that were NOT in good shape, were not what they should be. As far as potted creams are concerned, this has usually been the result of dehydration, to varying degrees. If your cream is basically alright, it should settle a bit, as it sits at room temperature. The main thing is consistancey, which has to do with the water balance in the cream. If the cream is kind of stiff and pasty, not basically soft and creamy ( even if it's dense, it should have a creamy quality ), then it's at least started to dehydrate. Stiff 'dry' creams like this are useable, except in extreme cases, but I find them to be a pain in the backside, and is one of the reasons I prefer to buy in person, if possible. I really don't want creams like this, and I resent it, when that's what I get. I've done the number with trying to re-hydrate them, and yes, it works, but only to a degree. Of course, if your T&H is like this, doing what you can to re-hydrate it is about the best you can do, under the circumstances. On the other end of the spectrum, are the runny creams. These are generally in tubes, and for some reason, Taylors seems especially prone to producing these. I've had one or two tubes that I simply threw out, and one or two that I gave away to someone wanting to try wetshaving. In my opinion, these sorts of runny creams do NOT shave as well, and I will not use them. With tubes of cream, ordering on line, I generally like to stick with Trumpers, Harris, and to some extent, Coate's, because I've not had problems, consistancy-wise, with tubes from these firms. With pots, I take my chances, but generally, I buy them in person, so I can check them out before purchase. I'm glad that I have this option, at least to a degree. Regards, Gordon
ejquin

Post by ejquin »

I shaved with my "runny" cream this morning and felt it was still a good shave. This is my first tub of avocado so maybe it's not up to par with the usual shave, but all in all im happy.
mike

Post by mike »

Austin wrote:
Mike I would suggest shaving with the cream and seeing if you can live with it. My avocado cream is also runny but it still gives me a great shave.

If you find that you can't live with it, put it up for trade.
Austin, I did shave with the Avacado and got a great shave. There is no way this tub will ever find its way to the trading block!
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~