Silicone

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Silicone

Post by Pauldog »

I couldn't find anything on this website about silicone, so I thought I'd ask. I'm talking about silicone lubes made for the body. Is silicone useful on the face during any part of the shave? Sometimes I put a tiny bit of silicone on my blade, especially when I have several days growth.

The other application I though of was using it as a lubricant for razor mechanisms, rather than vegetable oil, which might get gummy after a while.
navajadeafeitar

Post by navajadeafeitar »

Can't say that I've ever heard of anyone using silicone, but perhaps someone else can chime in. From my limited understanding, using regular mineral oil is not good because it leads to clogged pores. I use camellia oil to protect my straight blades (available at any woodworking store like Rockler or at www.japanwoodworker.com). Others seem to use Tufglide, or mineral oil like Dovo Sterol.
------------------------------------------
Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
bullfrog

Silicone

Post by bullfrog »

Whether it's useful in the shaving process I'm not sure but I know for a fact that some canned shaving creams/gels that are sold over here contain silicones.

However, the same canned stuff is pretty much useless if you shave with a str8 razor.

For razor protection I'd recommend mineral oil. This should work equally well and cost less.
Salesgod

Post by Salesgod »

Philosophy puts out a shave creme that contains silicone as it's main lubrication ingred. I've never tried it though, sorry.
stuff495

Post by stuff495 »

I used to have a link to info on Sillicon oil -- if I recall correctly (and that's a big if) one of their properties was hellping absorbtion of other stuff.

Mineral oil should be toatally fine for protecting a razor. Some people find that it clogs their pores. But that's in cases when it's a main ingrediant for lotions, etc. The tiny ammount of oil that woudl come off of a razor shouldn't cause any problems -- and even if there was enough comming of the razor it would almost instantly get shaved off. Of course there's nothing wrong with using cammelia oil or something more fancy for razors :D. It's good stuff (unlike mineral oil it's acctually beneficial to the skin). While it's more expensive, it shoudln't break the bank because a few ounces of oil should last you years.

--Vincent
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

I Love Silicone

Post by guenron »

Just think, integrated circuits, microprocessors, and BREAST implants! What more could you want?
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
Joe Lerch

Re: I Love Silicone

Post by Joe Lerch »

Sorry, there's a bigger difference between silicone and silicon than one letter.
guenron wrote:Just think, integrated circuits, microprocessors, and BREAST implants! What more could you want?
Joe
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Re: I Love Silicone

Post by guenron »

Joe Lerch wrote:Sorry, there's a bigger difference between silicone and silicon than one letter.
guenron wrote:Just think, integrated circuits, microprocessors, and BREAST implants! What more could you want?
You mean from a "C" to a "D"?
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
Bastida
Our friend from Spain

Post by Bastida »

Hello, some of the modern brushless creams (KoS Kinexium or Brave Soldier cream) use silicone oils like dimethicone (PDMS). Really lubricant stuff. The "problem" with silicones is that they are powerful defoaming agents and that is not a property you welcome when trying to build lather.

Regards,
Bastida.
Virtus Omnia Vincit
HLSheppard
Coffee King

Post by HLSheppard »

I use a Dupont (in a spray can) food-grade silicone to protect my straight razors in between shaves. Works like an absolute charm. No problems whatsoever and great protection.

As far as use during a shave I can't comment...
Howard L. Sheppard
howardsheppard(at)sbcglobal.net

"I wish I were less awkward around strangers. I never know what to say when someone asks me who I am and what in the world I'm doing in their house." -- Andy Ihnatko