T&H Luxury Shave Soap- So-So results

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Rlayten

Post by Rlayten » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:57 am

for what AOS charges, it better be the best stuff on the planet.
Love the injector. Love the shaves.
--
Robert

Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:12 am

Rlayten wrote:for what AOS charges, it better be the best stuff on the planet.
agreed
here in Vegas they charge close to $40 for a soap in the wood bowl. But I have to admit Dr. Moss's statement of it being the best on earth has me definately considering it. I have been in the market for a lavender shave soap but I have not considered the AOS, but now I am. If anyone has seen Chris's holographic shave cabinet of goodies they would respect his opinion on soaps and creams, I sure do. 8)
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:27 am

Buying AOS just seems plain wrong though.
Richard

salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:30 am

rustyblade wrote:Buying AOS just seems plain wrong though.
+1 :lol:

Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:32 am

rustyblade wrote:Buying AOS just seems plain wrong though.
For the soap, yes. The creams on the other hand are well worth considering, as I do find them very good.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:37 am

It may seem wrong but once you give a try you'll quickly get past this prejudice. It really is as good as the old Yardley bowls IMHO, in fact it's even a tad better because it excels in the moisturizing department. Scent would probably be it's only shortcoming for some as it's very light.

Chris

Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:39 am

Bruno,
if you don't mind me asking, what do you not like about their soaps? is it the price or is it the performance?
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"

Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:27 pm

Big Swifty wrote:Bruno,
if you don't mind me asking, what do you not like about their soaps? is it the price or is it the performance?
I've never tried the AOS soaps, but the price for the bowl is high compared to other makers such as DR Harris or T&H or even Trumper's. A refill of AOS costs more than a bowl of DR Harris soaps which I think are pretty well at the top of shaving soaps.
If you can find one in the $40 range then it might not be that bad, but some sites have them for about $55 to $60 for a bowl.
:o
Like I said, I love the lavender cream I have and feel it's one of the best creams in terms of performance and true scent. I have no doubt about their quality, either for the creams or the soaps. :)
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:37 pm

Chris, Been taking lessons for dear old Mr. Bargepole, I see. Okay, I'll bite; AOS Lavender is NOT the best shave soap around ( although it's good )...so there! In your eye!

Seriously, I agree regarding 'YMMV'. It obviously has it's validity, and is also necessary, but, IMO, it is not absolute. There are overwhelming consensus on some items and some points, and if someone radically disagrees, it is almost bound to be chalked up to human error, and probably rightfully so, even if that poster doesn't want to hear that. And there is such a thing as inate quality, or lack thereof, even if it's a product that one doesn't personally like. Nancy Boy for an example. It's not a product that I care for; it doesn't fit my shaving style or preferences, and I don't care for the scent. But it's clearly a quality made product, and I've never said otherwise. But there are other products out there that are simply 'cheap' ( but not necessarily inexpensive ), and I don't care if some member likes them, they are still 'cheap' or poorly made, shave products.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greendyk

Post by greendyk » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:41 am

drmoss_ca wrote:I shall declare the best shaving soap in the world to be AOS Lavender, and anyone who says otherwise is just plain wrong.
YMMNV.
Truly wonderful stuff. I know many of us seem to love to hate AOS, but this soap is every bit as good as Harris, MWF, Tabac, et al. Expensive? Yes, but worth it, IMO!

John

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:54 pm

greendyk wrote:
Truly wonderful stuff. I know many of us seem to love to hate AOS, but this soap is every bit as good as Harris, MWF, Tabac, et al. Expensive? Yes, but worth it, IMO!

John
I would agree but at the risk of sacrilege I would declare it even better.

Chris

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:34 pm

Chris, That wasn't my experiance, although I always said that I thought it was AS good as T&H etc. I'll try it again sometime ( if any of the sources around here ever get any more of it....I'm not mail ordering it, not at that price ).
Regards,
Gordon

greendyk

Post by greendyk » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:39 pm

Gordon,

I know, that AOS soap is absurdly expensive, isn't it? $24 shipped from OnTheFly.com for the refill.

And also, curiously enough, I see it's made in Italy! I really have fallen in love with the stuff though; perhaps that's why I'm willing to pay for it. Case of heart overruling the head, you know?

John

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:44 pm

Gordon, I guess it's a YMMV thing. But I would absolutely swear that the AOS soaps and the old Yardley bowls are almost the same formula except of course for scent. I get identical lathers from each. When I got my bowl of Yardley a few weeks back and used it the first thing that came to mind was that this stuff is the same as the AOS soap. It could be because I lather under some of the best conditions: distilled water. But still the similarity was uncanny. I've been alternating to keep things in perspective. I've used many of the top end soaps under the same conditions and their lather's are excellent, and Harris and Woolfat are legendary. I've come to the conclusion for me though that the AOS soaps are a bit better. As always it may not be everyone's preference or conclusion.

The price at OnTheFly.com shipped is the same as if you walked into the store because shipping is free on all AOS stuff. And I believe once a year they go on sale for 20% off so you can get them cheaper shipped than if you walked into the store. I believe that happens in late January early February. This is nice as according to the manager here in the KOP AOS Store their stuff never goes on sale.

Chris

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:35 pm

Chris, Yeah, I think that's right. I can not recall ever seeing the AOS stuff on sale in a regular store. Jeez, I picked up a wooden bowl of their soap in Nieman Marcus the other day, and it was $40+. Crap, I remember when the bowl and all was about $25. Like the vintage Yardley? Well, maybe....it's been awhile since I used any of the AOS soap. But, honestly, at that price, I think I'd rather try the Penhaligon's again, which is, of course, also tallow based. And the scent of the AOS soaps just never appealled that much to me, although they're not offensive or anything. But, at some point, I'm sure I'll give them another whirl. Would that they offered a shave cream as proportionately as good as their soap.....but, that's what I've always said......sigh.
Regards,
Gordon

levente

Post by levente » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:47 am

Gents,

Regarding the gentleman who was having difficulty getting satisfactory results with his T&H soap, even though he had no problem with DR Harris soaps, I think the collective board may have let him down a bit (myself included). I agree with the comments about YMMV made by Chris and Gordon, but sometimes there can be factors that can explain why someone is not obtaining satisfactory results swith a quality product, even after trying several suggestions.

I think the reason the T&H soap wasn't working for this gentleman may be something as simple as the quality of his water. Yes, this is often a topic, but I have found that the quality of water affects some products disproportionately. In my experience, creams are the most tolerant, tallow based soaps next, and non-tallow soaps the most affected. I was quite happy with the performance of my T&H soap in my prior residence, which had much better water than my current one. I have not replaced the T&H soap because it performed below par in my new residence. My tallow based soaps (Tabac and DR Harris) still work relatively well. My tablet of Vulfix/TOBS soap provides fine lather when I travel but requires a lot of effort at home, so it usually sits idle. It is not surprising to me that tallow based soaps work better in a variety of settings, as water quality in the old days wasn't so terrific. In settings where water quality is excellent, I have found the T&H to be the equal of Tabac and DR Harris, and I fully agree that it is a quality product. But I can also see why this gentleman was not getting good results.

Regards,
Basil

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:05 am

Basil, A good, thoughtful post. Could be. I never really thought too much about water quality in terms of palm oil vs, tallow based soaps, but I'll take your word for it. I haven't really used hard soaps in different water envoirnments much, as I don't use them when I travel. Differing water certainly effects the way creams behave, and if it is, as you say, even more so with veg. based hard soaps, then that could well explain the gentleman's problem. What threw me off was his assertion that he had no problem with the Harris's soap, and since, in general, the T&H is pretty much of similiar quality, it was hard to understand why he was having any difficulty. But yes, Harris's is still at least partially tallow based, and with certain water, perhaps that makes the difference. If he tried Trumpers or Taylors soaps and had the same problem, then the cause would be farily certain. Even with the water I have ( which is mediocre ), I've always posted that I thought Harris's soaps lathered optimally a bit easier then the current Trumpers.
Regards,
Gordon