Proraso question

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
AustinTXman

Proraso question

Post by AustinTXman »

I'm going on a trip and felt that it would be better to use a cream instead of a hard soap. Typically I use the hard soaps from Classic Shaving, but tried out the Proraso twice. The first time I got a nasty nick on my upper chin going XTG.

For my second shave I experimented just wetting my face with hot water, (trip scenario) then lathering up with some Proraso using a badger brush and a shaving bowl. I got a close shave, but with severe irritation and multiple blood splotches. Using syptic pencil all over my face it burnt like hell!!

I don't know if it's due to the fact I didn't hydrate my face as well (shower), but I under the presumption that the classic hard soaps have more lubricating properties than the proraso. Anyone come to this conclusion? Are hard soaps generally easier on the face than creams?

Face - course beard
Gear Merkur futur setting 4
Merkur blade (1st use)
Badger brush
Proraso menthol
JP

Post by JP »

I think that Proraso lubricates very well. Are you using the cream or the soap in tub? With the tub, I lather that on my face. With the cream, I lather that up in a bowl, with the proportions being a Proraso brush full of water (allowed to drain) and an inch of cream from the tube.
AustinTXman

Post by AustinTXman »

I am using the cream and am lathering it up with a badger brush in a bowl. I probably didn't use enough of it, or didn't hydrate it properly. If no one typically has problems in this arena of irritation, then I will assume it's operator error.
Mr. Igg

Post by Mr. Igg »

As with much of wet shaving, mileage varies for Proraso; but, my impression is those who don't like it don't like the **menthol** aspects (aroma, sting...). I love Proraso, and use it much as JP does (about an inch in a bowl if using the cream). I've gotten 2 bad shaves in several months, and both are unquestionably bad technique. Once was 6000 feet up a mountain, at a rustic camp with water rationing. You can imagine what my prep was like with a mandatory 3 minute maximum shower and not much time to shave...While Proraso ultimately might not work for you, I'd encourage you to give it another go!
Bryan
AustinTXman

Post by AustinTXman »

Fortunately my travels won't be as extreme as yours!!
I will give it another go and take your advice. 1 in. on a hydrated brush. Thanks!
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

It also depends on your water to some extent (with any cream or soap, not just this one) - I use much less than an inch, with excellent results, because my water is very good.
SlipperyWhenWet

Post by SlipperyWhenWet »

I have very sensitive skin and problems with ingrowns due to curly hair. I normally use Art of Shaving products. However I have been using Proraso/C.O. Bigelow for two days now and my face feels cleaner and the growth seems softer than before and no irritation at all...I love it. The only problem is I usually shave before bed and I find that the smell and feel is so refreshing that I feel more awake after I am done. Maybe I will go to shaving in the morning.
bleedingface

Post by bleedingface »

Do they confiscate cream at US airports based on the 3 oz rule?
Zach

Post by Zach »

I also love Proraso
How long did you work on making the lather? I usually mix for at least a minute. Have you seen the Mantic video on the topic?
Very helpful
JP

Post by JP »

bleedingface wrote:Do they confiscate cream at US airports based on the 3 oz rule?
The Proraso "soft soap" in the tub is what I travel with, so I don't have to worry about it passing inspection. From what I've heard, if the container is of whatever liquid or cream is labeled at more than 3 ounces, they take it.
Josey Wales

Post by Josey Wales »

Try this if you're in the mood to experiment:

Prep as normal but when it comes time to mix, load a half inch or so into a wet, shaken brush pump it a few times (5 sec.) in you hand and apply brush to you face, building the lather that way.

I've been doing this with Proraso for a long time... It works terrific... for me.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I love the Proraso tub and have figured out the optimum soap/water mixture. I use a bit of a hybrid approach - I follow Mantic's video, but sometimes add some soap to the brush between passes to keep the richness of the lather consistent. I don't always do this, but find that it can help when I haven't gotten the mixture so that it will last 3+ passes.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
AustinTXman

Post by AustinTXman »

Proraso update:

Being relatively new to classic wet shaving, I ran out of the Merkur blades and have been using the feather blades for the past 4 days with much better results. No pulling or irritation for my course beard. I tried the Proraso and it worked great!. It seems alittle drier than the hard soaps once the lather is removed (can't go over same area 3 times without lather), but the discharge of lather is nice and 1 inch of the stuff is enough for about 4 passes. I guess I'll be giving the Proraso a hesistant thumbs up for now.
Hightime0

Post by Hightime0 »

I started with the proraso, And i love it. it it's the best shave I've ever had.I'm still holding on to my gillette fusion for know. not sure which razor or if I'm ready to try the DE yet but hopefully soon
AustinTXman

Post by AustinTXman »

U get a much cleaner and closer shave with a quality DE and blade. The trade off is that it takes a little longer to shave, but it's more enjoyable and the results are better.
Mr. Igg

Post by Mr. Igg »

AustinTXman wrote:U get a much cleaner and closer shave with a quality DE and blade. The trade off is that it takes a little longer to shave, but it's more enjoyable and the results are better.
Although we joke about saving money by using DE razors and blades--when really, we spend all the savings on soaps, creams, and brushes--it's still true that after the upfront cost of buying the DE razor itself, the blades are just ridiculously inexpensive.
DE blades are around $0.10 - $0.15 each compared to $3.00 - $3.50 each for Fusion cartridges. (Some DE blades might run $0.40 or so each, but you're still saving a ton of money.) No matter whether you blow the money elsewhere, in a fair comparison, you're saving $3.00 or more per blade! And the blades last as long...

As far as a razor goes, the almost universal recommendation is the Merkur HD ("Heavy Classic"). You can get one for about $30-35 including shipping. Once you've got that, and found the specific blade you like, the blades will pay you back very, very quickly for the upfront cost of the razor. You probably break even inside of 3 months.

And as AustinTXMan noted, the shaves themselves are much better.

Oh, and on topic, count me in as a big Proraso fan! :D
Bryan
adam51980

Post by adam51980 »

Proraso is a definite favorite of mine. I get a very thick, protective lather from it and great shaves. I just picked up some of the pre/post shave cream and a tub of the soft soap. I'm gonna give them a try tomorrow.